The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Extra test Easier  (Read 6586 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »

I am hoping the Arrl is going through with what i have read and heard on 80 meters last night on a net that i was apart of to make the Extra test easier. We are not Nasa Astronauts come on . Most hams buy there radios anymore not build them. Just my onion. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the holidays coming up. 73s Nuff said....
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »

I think your "onion" is just a bit smelly.

None of the ham exams is difficult. I read recently about a (admittedly sharp) nine-year-old who passed his Extra exam. I don't know whether this same
nine-year-old would be capable of delivering an interesting lecture on complex impedance to an audience of RF, or just electronic, engineers.

All that said, the ham exams do have at least the virtue of encouraging hobbyists to learn a little bit about the language and thinking of RF engineering and data- and math-based science.

A not-unreasonable alternative, of course, is to eliminate the exams completely. The anarchist notion which assumes a high level of engagement
and ethical behavior on the part of most of us is a worthy idea.

I love the idealism of anarchism, but in practice in this real world it won't work very well I'm afraid.

A little bit of regulation, like the ham exams, can be, and I would argue is, very useful. Some order is better than none.

Anyone can pass the general or tech exams which give plenty of privileges for people who want to mess around with electricity or learn how to operate a radio under adverse conditions.

Last, the exams do provide, and define, a space in the hobby for the significant proportion (maybe 10%) of us who can solve difficult design problems and provide the rest of us with new ways of thinking. I appreciate those folks and want to do everything I can to keep them involved.

Thus exams are fine. I also think that if certain parts of the exams are difficult or not-very-useful, then the OP can make specific suggestions for improvement.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:45:02 PM by KE6EE » Logged
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »

Since when is the A@@L in charge of testing?... Oh yeah, you heard it on 80 meters.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »

I am hoping the Arrl is going through with what i have read and heard on 80 meters last night on a net that i was apart of to make the Extra test easier. We are not Nasa Astronauts come on . Most hams buy there radios anymore not build them. Just my onion. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the holidays coming up. 73s Nuff said....

Rather than relying on hearsay and looking for shortcuts, just study. Just my opinion.   Wink

KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »

I totally do NOT believe, what I just read.

"...EASIER..." seems like this guy, wants something for nothing; EARNNNN  WHAT YOU WANT!!!!!!
Was a little surprised when I read about dropping the code.  Think the FCC should have, a least kept a lower CW requirement for the extra.

Ken KC8Y
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »

If I can pass all three exams, anyone can...
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »

Some time in 1998, it was obvious to me that the code requirements were going to be dropped. When it happened, I was not surprised. But that's when I decided to upgrade to Extra. For me, it was something I always wanted to do, but just couldn't find the time. I realized, if I put it off any longer, I would never realize that goal.

It took about a month to get my code up to the required 20 WPM. I got it up to 25, just to be safe. I had to take the Advanced and Extra written tests, back to back. To get ready for the written tests, all I did was read through the question pool and take a few on-line tests. So in early 1999 I walked into a VEC test session as a General and walked out an Extra.

Now, I don't advocate bringing back the Morse Code tests. I enjoy working CW, but the tests are gone and it's time to get over it. The code tests are not coming back. It would cost way too much money to reinstate the code testing. I still have my CSCIs from my tests, so I'm not worried.

When I took the Morse Code test, I did find it interesting. Usually, the code test is very stressful. But I was up on my code and found the test to be pretty easy. That gave me a little time to observe what was going on around me. I think there was 8 of us taking the code test. That meant that everyone at the table already passed all the written tests. The VEs would not let you take the Morse code test, unless you had already passed the necessary written tests.

sWhen I tested, Several of the test takers, were only there for the code test. They had previously taken the test, but failed. One of the test takers had practiced copying with a keyboard. So the VEs set him up with a keyboard and monitor. Everything seemed to be handled by the VEs. Everyone seemed to be calm, until the test started.

When the test started, everyone started scribbling on the paper provided. Except for the keyboard guy, he was pecking at the keyboard. I just wrote down what I heard. The test was only about 5 minutes long, but there was a lot of frenzied writing. The guy on the keyboard became frantic. This was his third attempt at the code test. Finally pushed the keyboard aside and started writing.

In a couple of minutes, the test was over. We were given a 10 question test, that was based on the previous 5 minutes of code. At this point, all you needed to pass the test was one minute of solid copy, or get 7 of the 10 questions correct. Piece of cake, huh?

Well, it turned out that, I was the only one that passed. They took a look at my copy, andy passed me with 100% copy. They didn't even bother to grade the 10 question test. I recorded the pass with one of the VEs and left the test session. That made me feel great, but it also made me wonder, how many of the code test takers, really prepared for the test?

I know the guy on the keyboard prepared. He was sure that this was the day. But the stress got to him. I also know several hams that sat for the code test, totally on a whim, at a ham fest. They managed to get enough characters correct to get 7 of the 10 question correct. They never really wanted to work CW, but they managed to get their Extra. That was all that mattered.

So the written tests were easy enough 20 years ago, and they are easy enough now. You already have all of the test questions and all the answers. How much easier do you want the tests?

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »

How much easier do you want the tests?

For some people nothing can be sufficiently "easier."  Grin
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 06:03:53 PM »

We are not Nasa Astronauts come on .

Apparently not literary geniuses either...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 09:36:56 PM »

Didn't you guys/gals know that we are in the "age of entitlements"?  … sigh …
Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 12:52:17 AM »

Easier? Would you like someone to just take the tests for you?

I studied a long time, but I walked into the exam room without a license of any kind, took all three exams and walked out 45 minutes later an Extra.

If *I* can do that, I imagine it's not too difficult for most people.

Easier. Incredible.

Mike
N0TLD
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 12:57:22 AM »

It does appear that the major requirement to obtain an Extra Class licence is a reasonable memory and not any real understanding of radio technology.
KD3WB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 02:05:48 AM »

Just keep taking the practice exams.

https://www.eham.net/exams/

Ben
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 02:09:29 AM »

Can it get any easier?

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 02:59:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: