The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Extra test Easier  (Read 6605 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2018, 05:33:37 AM »

Clayton,

So you believe that the ARRL only supports the IARU to get more ARRL members? Since the IARU represents at the ITU, CISPR, CEPT etc. some 3 million amateurs across the globe, it would seem to be an awful lot of investment for comparatively little return in terms of ARRL members. Similarly, then why does attending CITEL provide much return for ARRL?
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2018, 05:36:42 AM »

I'm a no with making it easier.
I was first licensed around 1977 as a Novice, CW only.  I upgraded to General about a year later. Over the next few decades I went up and took the Extra exam a few times but never passed.
About 5 or 6 years ago I studied like crazy and passed the Extra.  I was so proud, It was a real accomplishment for me.

Heck they did away with the code requirement, that has already made it easier to get any grade of license.  You have to remember something about society, when ever something is free or easy, it usually abused, and not appreciated.
NE1U

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »

How can it be made easier other than you squeeze the PTT .. your then automatically licensed like Chicken Band.

Currently all questions are public. All multiple guess answers are public. Albeit the correct answers are mixed up with noise. With slight effort all of the "noise" can be deleted (Spoiler alert ... this would be the incorrect choices).

S-p-e-l-l-i-n-g this out, what is left are questions with only correct answers. Read thru this result 100 times on a weekend and take the test ASAP the following week. Guarantee you will pass. Boom. Done.

This is the stuff that have made up testing scandals at universities and probably high schools (selling old tests with answers). BUT in this case there is nothing illegal and I am not sure that it is even wrong except on some vague level. It is the system and not accidental. You would have to be pretty naive to believe that there was not some intent in rote memorization in the current system. After all, do you need to be a lawyer to pass the rules & regs? Are you really expected to understand the why for some of the rules & regs? I'll just extend that arguement to the other sections. Why not?

A pretend improvement on this streamlined method are the groups that offer a Saturday & Sunday cram course followed with the tech test Sunday evening. I assume someone feels good about this.

If you really want to learn, then consider ham radio a start. Then go on to higher learning of some kind. I wonder how many actually do this?
NQ3M

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »

The OP is asking for the test to be made easier, that's a hoot to me! Standard SOP for this country anymore.

Never having to learn or earn something, is why this country is in the shape it's in. When you pay people to be sorry they will never disappoint you an that is a Bankable fact. Never having to work for something an buying in, is akin to paying people to be sorry in my book.  An, Publishing the test questions an correct answers are akin to paying people to be sorry.

If I got to vote, the tests to be much harder than present, an also require code to be reinstated. Plus a hands on requirement to prove basic skill sets. 

Don't worry though, none of the above will ever happen as it's all about money these days. One day it will all crash an basic skills be they radio, food, or want-ever, will cull an reinstate reality/sanity once again.
KG4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »

The OP is asking for the test to be made easier, that's a hoot to me! Standard SOP for this country anymore.
<snipped>

He, the OP, said it was just his onion. Please, don't disparage his onion.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »

Again I heard the topic come up on a net at 3.8455 about the test made a little easier. I gave no opinion on the topic I just listened. Very good points made for the Meritts of why and why not on this subject. Seems like I am not the only ham out here that thinks they should.  Anyway everyone please be safe and Enjoy the hobby. 73s.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »

Maybe they would if they could. Only way to make it easier would be to have a 50 question test and only 50 questions in the pool.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2018, 05:06:59 PM »

<rant>Looking back many years, how many Charlie Bakers got on the air without "registering" for their call sign and how did that turn out? Granted, many, over the years did, but most didn't bother. Why should they? Getting on the air was, after all, free. (And they're entitled!) HI. Also, how many ham rigs were put on the air by them? (Then and today, unlicensed?) How many amplified Charlie Baker rigs were & are in use today? … sigh … 

Along the same lines, look at Germany, when she opened their borders to the immigrants without vetting them. Would she do that again? (Well, maybe, but …)

Make it easy? I don't think so. There's actually no answer as long as anything can be gotten for nothing! <End rant>

Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2018, 08:07:01 AM »

FOND memories of the Boston Customs House and the Big Ham Fisted Steely Eyed FCC examiners when I took my Novice in 1976 I think it was.

When I upgraded to Extra years later (20?) I walked into VE exam, sat down, declined the scratch paper for the code test. The examiner was incredulous. I passed 100%. He asked how I did it. I replied "It's simple. Morse code to me is a language just like you and I talking here" He shook his head in amazement and walked away.

Then I took the Extra written and got 1 wrong. Dumb mistake. I think that guy thought I was God for doing that. I laughed.

Don't dumb it down. Make it harder. It's TOO easy now. You should have to draw a Colpitts oscillator like I did in 1976.

You should have to determine circuit states with 6 chains of gates inline.

You SHOULD be able to fix your own radio! Your a ham operator. This to me is what ham radio is all about!

Anyone here remember when the question pool was not available?  Back in "The Day", there was no question pool available, AND you had to pass a 20 WPM CW test...  

I only took the General exam back in the day at the local FCC office. Going to the office was, in itself, not the most pleasant experience. Something like reporting to Marine Corps boot camp, but that's another tale.

In addition to not having the question pool officially available (I do recall that there were examples of typical questions around), one also had to actually draw a schematic of a vacuum tube circuit including all the components and their connections.

I liked the drawing part.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

N1CX, I'm with you all of the way. Tests are MEANT to be hard because their purpose is to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I passed my ticket in 1977 and I remember having to learn the difference between a Colpitts and a Hartley oscillator along with a book full of stuff including the regulations, which meant that when the pass slip arrived in the mail I was a happy fellow.

Fast forward twenty years or so and I'm taking the CW test (sending) when Concorde decides to fly over. I turned to the examiner and told him that I would wait for the noise to decrease before I continued and wiped my sweaty palm on my pants then carried on. Passed first time, even though I had taken thirty seconds longer than I should.

I'm going to finish this post with a quote, and the next time someone complains that tests are too hard or that they are entitled to something 'just because' I'd really like them to remember it:

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway."
John Wayne

Peter DL8OV
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »

I remember the US Customs House for taking the tests too.

And the John Wayne quote is good.

I like this one.
"Life is hard enough, but it's even harder if your stupid".
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »

I remember the US Customs House for taking the tests too.

And the John Wayne quote is good.

I like this one.
"Life is hard enough, but it's even harder if your stupid".

Or better yet...
"Life is hard enough, but it's even harder if you're stupid"

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »

Also quoting John Wayne...A man's got to do what a man's got to do.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2018, 06:22:05 AM »

Also quoting John Wayne...A man's got to do what a man's got to do.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/61/messages/756.html

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »

Well I have 1 of these in my office.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Wayne-Quote-What-A-Mans-Got-To-Do-TIN-SIGN-vtg-war-movie-metal-poster-1495-/300788410536

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: