The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knock-off Microphones  (Read 1837 times)
WA3DSP

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:46:55 PM »

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience?  We are working on a project that needs a DTMF microphone. One that has the encoder built-in not just data back to the radio. Since we use a lot of Alinco radios we were familiar with the Alinco EMS57 DTMF microphone. So we ordered 10 at a $18 price each and 8 out of 10 are bad mostly DTMF out of spec but some other issues also. These look like Alinco mics and I believe there is a possibility they truly are Alinco mics but probably Alinco mics that failed quality control and were sold in bulk to these charlatans that sell them as new and working.

A new EMS-57 from DX Engineering or HRO is in the $50-$60 area in price. A big difference. If we have to pay that much for a mic that works we will just pass the cost on to the customer but we want a quality working microphone. The question would be is the much more expensive mic the same thing or really a good mic. We will have to buy a few and find out but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. Any Alinco mics we have received when buying their radios work well.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »

I have an EMS-57 that came with my Alinco radio and it has always worked fine.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
WA3DSP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »

Yes, as I stated the stock ones that come with the radios all work fine. The problem is the ones being sold online. They are either Alinco rejects or whomever they buy them from is dumping bad product and people are buying it surplus and selling it like it is good product.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 05:11:18 AM »

I wouldn't think there would be enough call for Alinco mikes for someone to make a "knock off". It's more likely that whoever makes the mikes for Alinco makes a large run of them, tests them, sends the good ones to Alinco, and throws the bad ones in a box to be sold to some unknowing surplus dealer.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 06:12:35 AM »

If the originals sell at $50 - 60 each, and you got them for $18 each, there's a lesson in there somewhere.
WA3DSP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:16:59 PM »

Yes, a lesson well learned but I am sure there are many others that will be taken by this so that is one reason I am pointing it out!
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »

OP
Did you ever contact who you bought them from?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: