The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book(ss for 11 yr old grandson  (Read 3562 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »

My grandson Sam, age 11, is really fascinated with ham radio. Can someone recommend a good starting book or books which would help him learn the fundamentals? I’ll work with him, but ideally he could read it independently of me as well.

Thanks

Dave
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »

The ARRL handbook is a great teaching tool, it should get him there. You may need to assist with some tooics, but it’s hard to beat, and surely you have it. If not, any old edition not hand-carved on tablets will suffice. Physics does not change at this level of application.
KC6ISS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »

The Gordon West books and CDs are also a good option.

Vince
KC6ISS
PU2OZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:48:55 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-s-Hands-On-Radio-Experiments-Volume-1-and-2/

Don't own any, just an idea, wished I had discovered Radio when I was 5 times younger

Merry Christmas

Oliver

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 02:42:32 AM »

When I was that age in 1969, I had a battered 1954 ARRL radio amateurs handbook. I was fascinated by oscilloscopes. I thought that they were the coolest thing.
 My dad had a VTVM that I used to measure things and a shortwave portable that I explored the bands with.
 There was an oscilloscope project with a schematic and parts list in the handbook that I began collecting the pieces for. My parents got me the Heathkit IO-21 scope when I was 13. My first kit.
 I also played with the 35-in-1 Heathkit jr. deluxe electronic workshop, building radios, transmitters, multivibrators, time delays, etc.
 I was also given old electronic gear to take apart and tinker with. I was good at taking things apart and it would be awhile before I learned to put them back together again!  Grin
 I got my novice ticket in 1973 and my parents bought me the Heathkit triplets (DX-60B, HB-10B and HG-10B).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:45:04 AM by KAPT4560 » Logged
AJ4EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

The Adventures of Tom Swift, Jr. by Victor Appleton II

That's what got my interest.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »

The Adventures of Tom Swift, Jr. by Victor Appleton II That's what got my interest.
And I thought I was old for remembering Buck Rogers!! And Father Francis J. Finn. LOL (3-8-34)
Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »

Don't know if they still have them but ICOM did have some Comic Books about Ham Radio? If not you may download it here. https://www.icomamerica.com/en/amateur/comic_book/Books/v7/ComicBookV7_Color.pdf   Cheesy Wink Smiley

Clayton
W4KVW
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »

My grandson Sam, age 11, is really fascinated with ham radio.

Dave...

Back in the day, when I was 12-14 years old, Popular Electronics magazine was published and I read it monthly about radio things etc.

One column in particular was by W9EGY John Frye and the adventures of "Carl and Jerry" two boys who also found radio things interesting. The short stories are not about learning ham radio / electronics but radio adventure related tales.

Since the Internet has just about everything online these days, I found a site that has all these stories together in one place. Take a look at it and download several to see if your grandson will enjoy them as much as I did in my early radio years.

The site is at ... http://www.copperwood.com/carlandjerry.htm

Carl and Jerry  - An appreciation by Jeff Duntemann K7JPD

"I discovered electronics in 1963, when I was eleven, by digging around in the stuff people put out on the curb on garbage day, and dragging home dead radios and TVs for avid dissection in the garage. And for years I pieced together radios out of chassis pickins' and Fahenstock clips, guided by books like Harry Zarchy's Using Electronics and Alfred Morgan's The Boy's Second Book of Radio and Electronics. My best friend Art, who lived across the alley, got into electronics a year or so later, but he had something even better: Stacks and stacks of old Popular Electronics magazines, given to him by his Uncle George, who was an electrical engineer for the phone company. We both prowled through them incessantly, looking for cool projects to build."

Library of stories from 1954 to 1964. The technology in them may be dated, but, the boys adventures may hit a spark of interest in your grandson.

Got my Novice Ticket in 1960. In the August 1961 issue of Popular Electronics you'll see that award winning station of WV2ONH. How Great was that for a 14-year old!

See WV2ONH: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Consumer/Archive-Poptronics-IDX/IDX/60s/61/Pop-1961-08-OCR-Page-0061.pdf#search=%22page%200061%22

Popular Electronics OnLine at: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Popular-Electronics-Guide.htm

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:48:52 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
W8KTH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 03:32:30 AM »

I think Ward Silver N-Zero AX has a "Ham Radio for Dummies" book out.  I haven't ever seen it myself, but I've read many other articles by Ward, and his writing style is easily understood, so this book should be excellent for an 11 year old.  I started as an 11 year old too... in 1962.  Back then, the 5 WPM code was easy for me and the written test wasn't too hard either.  The only math was ohm's law as I remember.  But that was for the Novice class license which expired in one year.  Best of luck to Sam... hope he gets licensed soon.  de Keith  W8KTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: