The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-88 bandswitch belt  (Read 882 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »

Broke last night. I'm assuming this as when I switched bands and turning it got a whole lot easier and naturally, the masks stopped moving Undecided when I get time on the bench it goes.
I did a search and it seems I'm going down a very lonely road as I expected. I saw one winning a bid on Ebay last year for $700!! I'm in trouble Sad
So I posted here in hopes of maybe someone might have a line on one? I wish there was a way to just fix mine.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »

got a picture? Newark still stocked Centralab switch sections last I looked, if it's a Centralab or Oak with common dimensions, you can rebuild. iirc, ceramic wafers still ran about $17-20, index assemblies vary, and it sounds like your index assemblyl is what took a dive.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »

got a picture? Newark still stocked Centralab switch sections last I looked, if it's a Centralab or Oak with common dimensions, you can rebuild. iirc, ceramic wafers still ran about $17-20, index assemblies vary, and it sounds like your index assemblyl is what took a dive.
Thanks for the reply-I better clarify the fact that I have all the bands operational. It still switches to each band perfectly with full, normal reception of each, but the masks don't move now as it's a separate operation with that belt. Short of taking it apart to actually see what's happened, I'm assuming the belt broke.
It'd be nice if I could just repair this belt. I have this really good stuff, Marine Glue by 3M. This stuff is extremely strong with a little flex to it. I wonder if I could actually mend the belt with it. I may have to do just that.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »

ah. what kind of belt is that?  if rubber, try https://www.turntableneedles.com/Rubber_Drive_Belts-Tape_Decks_Turntables . if chain belt try mcmaster.com
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

Do a search here:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php

You should find several threads about this subject. There is one in particular that mentions taking a belt for a copier, that has the correct tooth pitch and spacing, but, was wider than the belt in the SX-88, and trimming it to the proper width. (I think the author made a jig that he could trim it with)  The length if I remember correctly, was a bit longer, but, that was taken care of by adjusting a couple of tension pulleys in the radio.
James
WD5GWY

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »

Thanks KD0REQ and WD5GWY for the help and links. I did read a bit this AM and saw that guy who cut the new belt in half longways. Man I gotta hand it to him on that one-this belt is SO thin to begin with, I just don't know how he swung that. He must be damn good with a jigsaw 'cause one slight wrong move and you're sunk! I could never pull that one off.
KD0REQ, this belt I believe, is re-inforced like a car's belts. It's the original belt so I can't blame it for failing after 64 years. Think about it, that's an amazing belt!
I'm really lucky that I can still run the rig. In the meantime I will just pull the dial lamps, the meter light will be lit up and I can still read the dials with what light's in the shack Smiley

N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 06:28:07 PM »

also give radio daze a look see, even a call may be in order.  They have all sort of things available. Woody
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »

also give radio daze a look see, even a call may be in order.  They have all sort of things available. Woody
Thank you N4MQ-will call them. They may have the right one you never know, or they might have a lead Smiley

K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »

Hate to be a downer but I think that belt is a special teethed version that is unobtainium.  Occasionally someone does a special production run and they're for sale but SX88 owners are a pretty small market.

you'll have better luck asking at hallicrafters@mailman.qth.net

http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »

Hate to be a downer but I think that belt is a special teethed version that is unobtainium.  Occasionally someone does a special production run and they're for sale but SX88 owners are a pretty small market.

you'll have better luck asking at hallicrafters@mailman.qth.net

http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/hallicrafters

Not a downer at all. I figure I will have to work with this one after all. If I can pull it off using the 3M marine glue I mentioned, it'd be a good thing keeping it original to this radio. That glue is stronger than the belt itself and does have a slight flexible nature to it after it's cured. This may help prevent breakage. I've used the glue on certain parts of my truck and it is hopeful.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »

cog belt material at mcmaster.com . match the pitch and width, and there y'go. most of it, if not all, is metric dimensioned, so use a metric dial caliper when measured.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »

cog belt material at mcmaster.com . match the pitch and width, and there y'go. most of it, if not all, is metric dimensioned, so use a metric dial caliper when measured.
Don't know if they have what I need for this application but MAN that place is amazing! Thanks for the link Smiley
https://www.mcmaster.com/

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »

MANY of the OEM distributors and manufacturers for American mfg. radios (and TVs, computers) still exist today.
Urban legends would have you believe they disappeared after 1980s, as globalization policies were enacted

Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Central Electronics, Zenith, Western Electric/Teletype, Motorola, Panasonic USA, Allied/Knight-Kit, Shure, Switchcraft, Newark/element14, and Richardson Electronics were all based in Chicago area.
CentraLab and Oak rotary switches were acquired by ElectroSwitch and moved to Raleigh, NC.
Granger is HQ in NW suburbs.

McMaster is HQ within 2 miles of my QTH ... huge warehouse with a “Will Call” desk.
Wonderful advantage to not incur shipping costs/delays (and in ‘safe area’ unlike Newark Electronics old Will Call location)
https://www.mcmaster.com/cogged-belts
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:24:02 AM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: