The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phase reversal in headphones  (Read 876 times)
AA4EZ

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »

Does anyone know where I can obtain the plans or maybe even a kit to add phase reversal to my headphones? I have Heil headsets that have the phase reversal switch and I really like the effect.  I found it strange that I could not find a kit or add-on module for the phase reversal.  Thanks and 73, Ray AA4EZ
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:38:23 PM »

Ray:

I think all the phase reversal switch does is swap lead polarity to one headphone driver.  A simple DPDT switch would allow both drivers to be wired in-phase in one position and 180 degrees reversed in the other.  No kit needed.

Brian - K6BRN
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 03:12:31 AM »

This is my (as usual) redundant post, but Brian is right. No kit needed, just a correctly wired DPDT switch.

Mike
N0TLD
VU2NAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:55:32 AM »

Hi OM Ray,

Any DPDT switch may be used.

Here's the schematic.

Nandu.

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »

I really like the effect. 

I am wondering what the effect might be. I know that in hi-fi loudspeaker systems phasing can have a significant effect on the low bass sounds. Communication sound systems mostly eliminate low frequency response which simply uses audio power which does not provide information.
VU2NAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 03:27:16 AM »

Hi OM Ray,

Any DPDT switch may be used.

Here's the schematic.

Nandu.

Had to repost this as the image for the original post was inadvertently deleted at source.

Nandu.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:35:07 AM by VU2NAN » Logged

N3PM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:24:32 PM »

I am wondering what the effect might be. I know that in hi-fi loudspeaker systems phasing can have a significant effect on the low bass sounds. Communication sound systems mostly eliminate low frequency response which simply uses audio power which does not provide information.
[/quote]

I did this with both David Clark and sound powered headsets when I was into crystal sets. Overall it made long sessions a little less tiresome. Technically, beyond the phase reversal, I had no clue why it made a difference.
Mike  N3PM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: