The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-751A panadapter  (Read 837 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »

I noticed my IC-751A has a connection labeled receiver detector on the back.   Does anyone know what this would be used for ?
It would be nice if I could feed this to my Elecraft P3 panadapter so I could have paragraph capabilities.   Probably can't do this but it would be nice  Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »

I noticed my IC-751A has a connection labeled receiver detector on the back.   Does anyone know what this would be used for ?
It would be nice if I could feed this to my Elecraft P3 panadapter so I could have paragraph capabilities.   Probably can't do this but it would be nice  Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ
If you look at the block diagram or the schematic for the IC-751A, the "detector" comes after the IF strip. A panadapter/bandscope/etc. generally is connected ahead of the IF strip generally at the first mixing stage. Also, the P3 panadapter is probably set up specifically for the IF of the Elecraft equipment. So, even if you had access to the front end of the 751A IF strip, most likely you would require a matching interface/mixer to connect both equipment pieces together. Not worth the time or effort. Buy a ~$25 SDR dongle for use as the receiver; connect it to the computer; apply some readily available free software; and you have a great panadapter /bandscope too. Use the 751A just for its transmitter functions

Pete, wa2cwa
www.manualman.com
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »

Thanks for the info Pete.  The Elecraft P3 panadapter can be used with other radios besides Elecraft.  I have the IF out from my Yaesu FTDX5000 connected to the P3 and it works like a charm.  No biggee not being able to use the IC-751A this way. 
Still curious, what do you think the detector connection was intended to be used for ?
Bob
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »

Thanks for the info Pete.  The Elecraft P3 panadapter can be used with other radios besides Elecraft.  I have the IF out from my Yaesu FTDX5000 connected to the P3 and it works like a charm.  No biggee not being able to use the IC-751A this way. 
Still curious, what do you think the detector connection was intended to be used for ?
Bob
As long as the IF circuitry of the P3 matches closely to the IF of the receiver/transceiver, the panadapter will work OK and be accurate. My Heathkit SB-620 panadapter with a a 3395 KHz IF input works great on Heathkit receivers/transceivers with a similar IF and it works great with my Kenwood R-599D receiver which also has a 3395 KHz IF. A detector output connection is one way to grab receive signals before they get any audio tailoring in the audio section. So it's a good place to connect a tape recorder to record signals, or to drive an external audio amplifier into big speakers (for that wall to wall sound if that's your bag) or you could drive a scope (i.e. what they call a "monitor scope") to see a signal that you're listening to (not highly valuable but great looking eye candy for shack visitors).

Pete, wa2cwa
www.manualman.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: