The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAINTING FEEDPOINT JUNCTIONS ON DIPOLE AND SUPPORTING MAST ON CHIMNEY TO "HIDE"  (Read 2834 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »

Mentioned this request for suggestions on another unrelated thread, but thought this might be a more appropriate source of information.

Have an ongoing issue with a neighbor behind me about my dipole....which is "in their view".  Have 3 components that I would like to paint to diminish the impact on their water view.

I am downhill on a sloping hillside with water view, and, while I refuse to take down my dipole (no CC&R's), would like some ideas on how to spray paint the most obvious issues of my antenna to lessen the impact (or at least purported impact) for rebuttal "points".

I now have an 8' white fiberglass 2'' mast on the chimney =previously was 16', but, in an attempt at appeasement, took down one section.  Now want to re-install the other 8' section, so I need some retort info....when the **** hits the fan.

Would like to spray paint the white mast pieces, the joining B&W army green junction and the black RG-11U coax for minimum visual complaints.  The backdrop to their view of my antenna is water, hillside and blue/gray sky.

Looking for suggestions on a readily available spray paint color to make all of those less obvious....Light gray?  Light blue/gray?

Would also like to paint the 40/75 traps (which are at the ends of the 40 meter dipole=due to short available running space), but worry about any metallic ingredients in the spray paints that could lead to arcing or changes in resonance.  Will ultimately be running about 550 to 650 watts into the antenna.

Any suggestions or warnings?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:01:02 PM by N6QWP » Logged
NC5P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »

Avoid metallic paints at all costs as they may short out or detune things.  If you can take a photo of your hardware from your neighbor's vantage point see what is in the background and pick a color that is close to that.  No matter what you pick it probably will be out of place due to changing seasons, sky, water, etc. 
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »

I wouldn't knowingly use metallic paint.  Guess I will have to go "into the lion's den"....but that is, at best,  only a good "last resort attempted solution".

If it comes to that, I agree, viewing from their windows should give great insight....only, at that point, I doubt we will "be civil".

Perhaps I should try to clandestinly try to get on their side porch and get some kind of idea what they are seeing?

Guess I will just have to wait until I see no activity or signs of occupancy....and risk being charged with Trespassing.  Love the drama that results from ham radio.

Still looking for suggestions on typical "STEALTHY" colors.....whatever they are?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:52:46 PM by N6QWP » Logged
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »

Grey is probably a good choice, though black generally works well, too.

Thin wire and small insulators help a lot.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:21:13 PM »

Dealing with 1KW rated wire, coax and traps.  Going to use 550-650 watts output.  

Black is already an observable problem.  Need something that "attempts to make them less visable.

Be advised.....I am dealing with people who have no desire to "negotiate".  Nothing will be "acceptable".  I am just looking for something to offer as a compromise....if that is even possible.

Trying to avoid an all out war.....perhaps to no avail.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:32:43 PM by N6QWP » Logged
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 04:29:28 AM »

I have successfully used the Krylon brand of non-metallic paints. My use is typically to improve the UV resistance of PVC components and to refinish aging fiberglass radomes.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:52 AM »

There are commercial antennas I've seen that are sky blue. 

Of course that assumes the sky is the backdrop and that it never gets cloudy.  I would guess a light gray would come in at a pretty close second.  If it's trees or structures as a backdrop then black seems the logical choice as that will blend in pretty well.  For a number of years I had an HF vertical for a remote base at my friends' house which was "no outside antennas, period".  It was painted flat black and from the street it was difficult to see even if you knew where it was.  Over time it weathered into a mottled black/gray that made it even harder to notice.  Only so much you can do with a wire antenna other than maybe gray or black wire and gray or black center support.  I think your idea of meeting the opposition halfway is a good strategy.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »

Well, today, I drove by the neighbor's house and noticed that one vehicle was gone.  Hoping they were both gone, I quickly double parked and made my way along the side of the house to the porch, where I could view my antenna from one of their vantage points.

No sooner did I look over the railing to view the fiberglass pole, than the side kitchen door opened and the husband asked "what was I up to"?  Awkward moment, but when I said something about "just checking things out", he started talking about my "privacy trees" that he had butchered (that hung over his side of the fence-and a whole lot that didn't)....and whether they will recover.

At least I did get some perspective of what they see....and the backdrop for the mast is mostly water and a large redwood tree.  When I add the other section to the mast, I will be painting over the 2 section (longer) white pole, insulator and that side's trap with some light blue/gray and hope for the best.

More epidsodes to come....(at some future date).

Just "shows to go ya" that one can never predict what kind of encounter to expect when "on a mission".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:52:54 PM by N6QWP » Logged
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »

Why be clandestine about it? Why not talk to the neighbor and tell them that you want to try to improve their view, but need to get an idea of what's in their way. You should have just walked up & knocked on the door.  Roll Eyes

I need cheaper hobbies...
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »

We have already interacted over this issue….to "no avail".  It is going to be a confrontational interaction...."no matter what".

I am willing to go "to the mat".....but trying to find an "acceptable" resolution.

While listening on 75, I just realized that my plasma tv (which I never had problems with on 40 and above).....is making it impossible to hear ANYTHING on 75=with all the spurs.

Is the solutiion  to just get rid of the very clear, acceptable Plasma TV....or find anothe way to expand the coverage???  What if a neighbor also has an offending Plasma tv?.  Shoud I just offer to buy them a new tv.....and eat the cost???

My next inclination, is to just "go balls to the wall"....and endure whatever wrath will come from it all.  I am the one climbing the roof, changing wire lengths, adding traps.....and fighting with the xyl about "conflicts with the neighbors".

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:57:48 PM by N6QWP » Logged
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:01:43 AM »

I get that I obviously don't know the full story, but being confrontational with neighbors never ends well. Even if you are in the right.

As for your Plasma TV, recycle it ... your power bill will go down - maybe enough to pay for a much nicer set. Cheesy

N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 10:18:30 AM »

Two good suggestions.....thanx.  Sometimes, I just can't abide with someone telling me that I can not do something (that I need to do).  I'll try my best to keep the interactions from becoming too volatile.  

I will try to counter offer any objection with something else that will make it more tolerable.
Or.....offer another, more objectionable alternative if what I propose isn't agreeable.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to research what 50" (+/-) other type tvs put out less rfi in the ham bands (especially on 75 and 40).  

Any suggestions out there???
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:30:34 AM by N6QWP » Logged
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 01:01:36 PM »

That's really about all you can do. Deep breaths and calm responses. Cheesy

That is a good question and actually what I'm looking forward to least about finally taking my test next weekend & buying an HF rig. :-/ I've accumulated so much in the way of electronics over the years. The high pitch audible noises already bug my partner, I can only imagine what the RFI is like!  Cry

KJ6ZH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »

Back when I was in the Marines and living in the Bachelor Officer Quarters, I was able to string up dipoles on the roof of the 2 story building.  I painted the wires using alternating 6" streaks of flat light grey and flat light blue paint similar to the camo pattern on the jets at the air station. Painted the coax the same beige color as the building.  From the ground the wires blended into the sky and the coax looked like the building.  This was my "Stealth" antenna system.  The roof was flat and light grey and it also blended into that when I was working on the antennas so really needed to pay attention!!  

The pole and traps may still be noticeable but at a distance, the visual impact should be reduced.

Ya can only do so much and looks like you are attempting to accommodate the neighbors.

Good Luck

Chris KJ6ZH

K4QM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »

I'd tell your neighbor to pee up a rope and get over it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: