The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Strange Firefox Problem  (Read 1228 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »

I have just upgraded my browser to the latest version of Firefox and now I have a strange problem with passwords.

I use the browser to store logins and passwords and when I go to most sites the two fields are filled in for me with two lines of dots, hit 'Enter' and I'm in. However, some sites show the logon details as blank fields and I then have to do the following:

Click on the blank field for User ID, a drop down window then appears showing the saved User ID in plain text

Click on the drop down window, both fields are then filled with the lines of dots

Click the Enter or Log on button to enter the site.

Any idea what could be causing the extra steps?

Peter DL8OV
M0TTV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:22:57 AM »

When you jump to newer versions, some functionalities may have been removed or renamed.

When I do major upgrades, I rename a file called "prefs.js" to prefs.js.old. Then restart Firefox and manually restore all settings. It's a pain in the back, but that refreshes my Firefox.

If that doesn't work, it's worth recreating a brand new profile.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »

Use a password manager, no? It will be unaffected by your browser. Some have addons for the few main browsers that make logging in convenient.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »

Some web sites don't play nice with things that automate for fill such as password managers, even when done by the browser.

I use Last Pass so I am use FireFox, Safari or Chrome and it'll sync across multiple machines. It occasionally has trouble with certain sites.

K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »

Click on the blank field for User ID, a drop down window then appears showing the saved User ID in plain text
Click on the drop down window, both fields are then filled with the lines of dots
Click the Enter or Log on button to enter the site.

I use the latest version of Google Chrome (Version 71.0.3578.98) and this user ID/password thing is common, when you have multiple IDs and multiple passwords stored. But it does learn. After repeated use, some IDs and passwords are associated with specific sites. Then full login operation is not needed.

I regularly delete all of my cookies and browsing history. All of my user IDs and passwords are remembered, but the association with specific sites needs to be re-established. That happens pretty quickly.

After a delete session, I have to select the user ID and password, just like you described. However, after that I no longer have to log in between site accesses. That is, until I have another delete session.

This kind of thing works fine for sites like QRZ or Eham. It even works on Ebay and Amazon. But on some sites, like a financial institution (bank), you may need to select the user ID and password. I know my bank doesn't allow direct login, just by connecting to the site.

Oddly enough, one of the sites that doesn't allow a direct login is my Yahoo email account. When I initially connect, and after several days of being logged in, that account require me to log in.

This indicates to me that, web sites have some control over how you log in.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »

Ah!

One of my settings in Firefox is to delete cookies and clear the cache on exit. I wonder if this is causing the issue? As a temporary measure I will change the settings and see what happens

Given the choice I would rather clear everything after I've finished and accept the inconvenience.

Peter DL8OV

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »

Ah!

One of my settings in Firefox is to delete cookies and clear the cache on exit. I wonder if this is causing the issue? As a temporary measure I will change the settings and see what happens

Given the choice I would rather clear everything after I've finished and accept the inconvenience.

Peter DL8OV

So yea, that will get rid of cookies and force you to login to every site each time.

K7RJB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:31:48 PM »

Passwords are tied to cookies???

That does not sound right.

Passwords are stored on the local machine for the user account.

Having cookies tied to the passwords would be a security issue.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »

Passwords are tied to cookies???

That does not sound right.

Passwords are stored on the local machine for the user account.

Having cookies tied to the passwords would be a security issue.

No. Cookies maintain your previous login session info. Not passwords.

K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »

Ah!

Yes, that could do it. I delete my history and cookies manually because, except for updates, I never log off and I never shut down my browser. When I am done working for the day, I put the computer to sleep. The next day I can start right where I left off the day before.

This also keeps MS from rebooting my system for updates. Early on, they use to wake my computer up to install updates. But now, they don't do that any more. I can reboot when it's more convenient. A reboot use to destroy all of my browser tabs and I would have to set them up again. Now, when I restart Chrome, all of my tabs come back to where they were, before I rebooted.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »

No, this is not cause by cookies. I tried running my browser with the policy to retain all cookies and I still get the logon problem specified in the original post.

Peter DL8OV
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »

No, this is not cause by cookies. I tried running my browser with the policy to retain all cookies and I still get the logon problem specified in the original post.

Peter DL8OV

Peter,

I have this happen when I have more than one login ID/password pair stored for the same website. Check you list of credentials under Settings -> Security -> Stored Passwords.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: