The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Pegasus problem  (Read 1202 times)
W4CGC

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »

I just got the 550 a few days ago and having a tech license I only do CW, I worked
a few SKCC stations at 80 watts and did not get any bad reports, which is not unusual
gotta get in/out when busy. My first regular QSO I got the bad reports of a distorted and
raspy signals, 2nd and 3rd QSO's got the same result. Doing some research suggested I move
the power supply, computer and monitor a few feet away from the rig which I did.

This morning got together with a friend on 40 meters and on the phone we started to try
to isolate the problem, then here is what we did.

Started with desk top computer, power supply on with all my home electric on and Ten
Tec at 80 watts slowly tested different levels until I went got down to 15 watts. The only
output signal that is fairly readable is at 15W and below. Then I shut off the rig power supply
and went to battery power, same thing, I did this on both two different antennas.

I then shut off all electric to the house, laptop on battery, backup batters to unit went thru
the same steps as above again best output signal is at 15 watts and below.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks, Finn (W4CGC)

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:31 PM »

What’s your SWR? Could be foldback or RF in shack. Could be bias issues from the fabled supervillian The Golden Screwdriver!
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »

If it is following power output, than it is most likely RF getting back into the radio equipment.  What is your antenna, and where is it located in relation to the shack?

Pete
W4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44:11 AM »

Hi Scott, ya I thought Gremlins but after my 3rd cup of coffee reality kicked in HI HI, my SWR is low is 1:1 hi is 1:3 on 40 meters.
W4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:12:26 AM »

Hi Peter,

My antenna is an EFHW-8010P - 130 Foot End Fed Antenna which runs an odd shape along and 2 feet above the roof of my mobile homed, my retirement community is antenna restricted. Rig to antenna connection is about 15ft RG8X. I have a Ten Tec R4020 QRP which I use on this antenna with no problems.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

maybe then first step is a bucket of ferrite clamp-ons. small ones over all wires running out of the 550. large ones on the feedline, like maybe 2 or 4 of them. get another ground rod and measure conductivity between them. if anybody asks, you are trying to force out fishing worms (used to sell two ground prods that split the 120 volt outlet current to drive up worms... and put a few of the purchasers down to feed the worms.)
W4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 04:42:59 PM »

Oh Wow Scott,

Been raining here so much in the last few months I got moguls in the yard, I told my neighbors I was going to stock my new ponds.. HI HI.. So there you go I have a reason to pound the the rod (oh sorry flash back from my 20s) into the ground and start my own worm farm for my fish ponds, but yes on the ferrite clamp-ons got them ordered, not quite a bucket but close, I know once I get this figured out it will be an awesome beast on CW. Thanks
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »

SWR does not mean much when you are using an EFHW antenna.  Regardless of the literature, the antenna does have a counterpoise, and that is in part the coax feedline, which goes back into the shack.  You  can have RF on the feedline, and a good SWR.

That is why they recommend having 25 feet of feedline between the transformer and equipment. And, they do recommend a ground rod.  Besides the ground rod, you could also add a coax line decoupler, and a few random counterpoise wires around the perimeter of the house to help couple any errant RF back to earth. Make sure the ferrite beads or line decoupler are the last items in line before the gear. 

Ferrite beads can be hit or miss... depends on the ferrite material, frequency and the RF current on the coax where they are placed.  You'll get there. 
W4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »

Hi Peter,

Good info thanks, the ant is grounded but never thought of random counterpoise wires, will give it a try. Got my chokes and added to everything going into the rig, swr dropped some and got 10 more watts output before the rasping starts. Your right about hit and miss but that's the challenge about ham radio but with folks like you and others to give advise it would be harder. Thanks for your help.
N8CT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »

Hi There...I am a happy owner of a Ten Tec Pegasus. I had the same problem that you are having. My issue was caused by a faulty 13.8 volt plug on the back of the radio. The molex style plug was bad. I repaired it by removing this plug and soldering the power leads directly to the circuit board. Have not had any issues of any kind since. The only other thing I have heard of are the relays in the radio can go bad. I have a spare set of relays but the last time I looked inside my Pegasus, everything looked good and my relays have been switching just fine. I use my radio for SSB with a Heathkit SB-200 amp and never any problem with distortion. CW also works very good. I also do a lot of shortwave listening, both broadcast and utility listening. Great radio.

73 de N8CT
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 02:48:13 AM »

I assume the Pegasus is just like the Jupiter and needs a minimum of 20 amp power supply.
Check to make sure your power supply is keeping up with the demand of the radio.
This sounds just like the problem I had when trying to run too many things off of one supply and it just couldn't keep up.
Right now, the Jupiter has it's own 20 amp supply and is fine ..... If I get the chance .... Im going bigger just because.

Matt
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 06:20:48 AM »

What does it do into a dummy load with a receiver in the shack listening?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: