The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9LY1JM Sierra Leone DXpedition  (Read 5882 times)
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »

I'm confused on how to work 9LY1JM on FT8.  Since I couldn't enter their unusual call sign by double clicking, I had to type their call sign manually in the Std Msgs.  After calling above 1000 Hz in the hound mode, I get a reply but my software does not automatically respond with the R report and does not switch my frequency down below 1000 Hz.  What am I missing?
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »

I don't see why anyone would need to use FT8 and this FT8 formatting nonsense to work them when they are very readable on cw and ssb on most bands.

They were just on 28.024 CW into Oregon an hour ago with a fair signal and  other lower frequency bands they are almost as strong as the past VP6 dx-pedition was.
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »

I don't see why anyone would need to use this SSB nonsense to work them when they are very readable on RTTY on most bands.
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »

I don't see why anyone would need to use FT8 and this FT8 formatting nonsense to work them when they are very readable on cw and ssb on most bands.

They were just on 28.024 CW into Oregon an hour ago with a fair signal and  other lower frequency bands they are almost as strong as the past VP6 dx-pedition was.

I don't use FT8 but I understand that many folks do ... yes, it's not the same as CW or SSB or EME or QRP or RTTY or AM or packet or any other mode, variant or power level - but it is ham radio and anything that promotes more activity or interest in ham radio is a good thing IMHO.

I hope the FT8 guys make all the QSO's they want - I'm happy hunting on CW. To each his own I guess.

Randy / WB9LUR

. .

73, Randy / WB9LUR - http://www.CallingDX.com

. .
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »

I've got them on 17,80 and 160 so far. Don't need 40-20 & 15. If 12/10 happen.. great. If not... I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I'm really pleased about 160 using my crappy way-too-short antenna. Lots of QSB for that one.. not an easy QSO by any means.
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »

I've got them on 17,80 and 160 so far. Don't need 40-20 & 15. If 12/10 happen.. great. If not... I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I'm really pleased about 160 using my crappy way-too-short antenna. Lots of QSB for that one.. not an easy QSO by any means.

Congratulations on the 160m QSO! I feel the same about 80M - I have a very compromised antenna but got lucky and busted through the pileup on the very first night. Wasn't gonna chase them after that but they were so strong on 40, 30 and 20m CW that I had to jump in!

Randy / WB9LUR

. .

. .
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »

I don't use FT8 but I understand that many folks do ... yes, it's not the same as CW or SSB or EME or QRP or RTTY or AM or packet or any other mode, variant or power level - but it is ham radio and anything that promotes more activity or interest in ham radio is a good thing IMHO.

I hope the FT8 guys make all the QSO's they want - I'm happy hunting on CW. To each his own I guess.

Randy / WB9LUR

Randy shows great wisdom here.

There is a strange tendency among us to assume that the DXing we do is the one true way.

But, in truth, it was never true,  going all the way back to CW taking over from spark.

FT8 is good news if you like CW.  Fierce pileups still happen, but with FT8 so popular,  they are surely somewhat smaller.  Ditto SSB.  Since half the QSOs are FT8 now, and it has not yet doubled our operator numbers,  it simply has to be so.

Some medium rare stuff may be a little too much on FT8, but major Dxpeds have shown that they will hit CW and SSB as hard as ever.    All FT8 does there is increase the total Q count.

Younger hams are almost certain to adopt it in large numbers.   The "button pushing " aspect that some traditionalists hate will be quite attractive.

Bonus:  some newcomers we hook with FT8 are going to hang around for the CW, sooner or later.  Many would never get on HF without the gateway drug of FT8.

I really don't see the problem.   Don't like if, don't work it.  But, the advantages even if you dislike it are kind of hard to ignore.  Less congestion elsewhere,  more DX ops, seems like a winner to me.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »

Randy shows great wisdom here.

WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »

Thanks John - I will now meditate and seek to be one with the ionosphere on the journey to divine propagation .... ohhhhhmmmmm ... resistance is futile.

Ha!

Randy / WB9LUR

. .

. .
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »

I should have PShopped a tower/Yagi onto yon distant mountains...Ommmm

DK7OB

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:58 AM »

I'm confused on how to work 9LY1JM on FT8.  Since I couldn't enter their unusual call sign by double clicking, I had to type their call sign manually in the Std Msgs.  After calling above 1000 Hz in the hound mode, I get a reply but my software does not automatically respond with the R report and does not switch my frequency down below 1000 Hz.  What am I missing?
I entered the call in the "DX Call" field and pressed "Generate Std Msgs" to populate the message fields, so you can enable TX and call them.

If you are lucky, you get your response in a combined message where 2 callers are processed at the same time. Here their call is in <> (hashed), and the message is correct and QSO continues normally.

If you are unlucky, you get the response in a standard message where their call is not hashed and the received message is incorrect with missing or corrupted report. Here you have to click on "TX3" to continue the QSO manually and hope you get the report and RR73 in a combined message (that was the case with my 3 FT8 QSOs and all made it into their log).

I would like to know if it is a message format problem/limitation or a software bug. 9LY1JM is only 6 characters, but the 9LY prefix is unusual and may be treated as a special case, maybe unnecessarily but at least inconsistently.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2019, 07:08:45 AM »

Easily worked with 1 call on 80 cw and 40 ssb last night, in a span of about 4 minutes.   

Even with my 40m beam at 60 degrees, and running 50 watts, waiting for the amp to warm up.   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 08:19:07 AM »

DK7OB

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize the "DX Call" field was an input as well as an output.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »

Yes, I think pileups are smaller.  I worked them on 80 with 100W and a 40' top loaded vertical, as expected.  
But then I worked them on 40 SSB with 100W to a 43' dipole up 30 feet with 140' of feedline.  Good op, otherwise
I wouldn't have bothered trying to do SSB.

Zak W1VT
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »

Yes, I think pileups are smaller.  I worked them on 80 with 100W and a 40' top loaded vertical, as expected.  
But then I worked them on 40 SSB with 100W to a 43' dipole up 30 feet with 140' of feedline.  Good op, otherwise
I wouldn't have bothered trying to do SSB.

Zak W1VT

I was pleased to break thru the first night pileups on 80 with an inverted L that is only 20 feet above ground at it's highest point - got lucky! Probably won't try any SSB at all unless I catch 'em booming in. BTW on 80 this morning the JA's were very strong.

What do you use for receive on 80?

Randy / WB9LUR

. .

. .
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: