The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9LY1JM Sierra Leone DXpedition  (Read 4787 times)
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »

In any event, I (as someone licensed since 1968) still love getting the cards, particularly the ones from exotic locations.  It's one of the many things that makes ham radio so much fun!

Have you noticed "QSL escalation" over the years?  I recently went back through my QSLs and it struck me how, back in the 90s, the QSLs were typically very basic and a photo card was the exception.  Now it seems like even Joe Schmoe has a full-color photo card of his station, but not me.  I've still got approximately 900 of my 2-color cards from 2000 waiting to go out.  I thought they were pretty nice at the time, but they look almost antique now.

This was entirely typical of the period.  And this one came through the diplomatic mail bag.  Kinda cool.  I'm pretty sure 9LY1JM's will be a lot fancier.
KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »

Yeah, the big DXpeditions typically have cards with about four sides and a lot of neat photos.  I enjoy them in all shapes and sizes, but I confess to really enjoying those multiple sided cards from the DXpeditions.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:14 AM »

Simply put, the trend (if there is one) towards full color, double-sided cards exists primarily on the DX side of it.

I have ample evidence from my minor DXpeditioning that simple cards of the sort shown above dominate from sources like US stations and the Japanese, to name but two.  This is especially true of "buro" mailings.  It's even true of my stateside buro incoming cards.

We must not let what we receive confuse us about what is actually going on out there.

Speaking as a sometimes (minor) DXpeditioner, I would rather receive a simple legible card of the sort shown above than some fancy, full color card with a cramped QSO area.  My in-basket has long suggested many if not most hams understand this.

Now, on that rare days I do DXpedition, I do prefer to hand out pretty cards when I am the DX.  I order from the professional card makers.  But, my stateside cards, which have high return rates, are much simpler and (above all) lighter weight.  I make them myself.  I use what the US calls "67 pound vellum" which is about 145 grams per square meter.  This gives me about 15 cards to the ounce.  Conventional, full color cards are only about 10 to the ounce.  Given Newington's outgoing fee structure, the typical professional cards are expensive to mail.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: