The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter Vertical-Coat Fiberglass?  (Read 274 times)
W1PDI

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

I am reviewing 2m verticals for purchase and seems that the Comet GP6 has received favorable feedback.

In the event I decide on a fiberglass antenna, I read where you should coat it with epoxy. True? Or is there some other coating to consider?

Once I have ths antenna installed I would not be able to take it down myself so if there is a prevenative measure to take before the install, I'd rather take that route.

This would be my first vertical antenna purchase and installation so I'd like to get ot right.

As always, I welcome feedback from eHam devotees.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »

My Comet GP-15 was up for 16 years when I took it down to move, and aside from a little white chalkiness, the radome is fine, and it's going back up at the new QTH.  IMO, it's not worth the effort to attempt to protect it further.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:20:48 PM by K3GM » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »

I have always just sprayed my old hustler G6 with some krylon whenever I have the tower down for routine maintenance.  It must be close to 40 years old now.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »

I put my GP6 up in 2003 and I took it down for some roof work last year.  Was chalky and starting to get a little fuzzy so it's now on a pole working as a temporary antenna.  I guess you could paint it, then from time to time take it down, sand it and paint it again but stock out of the box it put up with NM sunshine for over 15 years now.  Looks like about $10 a year "rent".  I went and bought another one to put back up on the roof.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: