The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attending HAMFEST in Ohio  (Read 582 times)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »

Other than the costs of travel.............

Are the prices on new gear for the name-brand vendors and quality of speakers at the forums worth the 6 hour drive (for me it's 6 hours)?

Would I be able to purchase some WMR panels for more than 30% off?  Get a new Yaesu FT-7900 for under $225? Bag of 10 cable ends for $2.50?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »

Well, if you’re talking about the big international HAMFEST I think you’re talking about...

Yes, you can usually get excellent prices and discounts, sometimes deep discounts, from the dealers and commercial vendors. 

Is it enough to be worth the trip?  Only after the fact will you know the answer to that; I would say that there’s a high probability that will be the case, but I can’t make you any guarantees.

Oh, if you go, don’t forget to be on the outlook for “leftovers” from the farm show(s) also held at the site.  I have yet to see any, or know of anyone who has, but there’s a certain expert who lives in the area who insists these are there... even though he has never attended the HAMFEST at it’s new site. 
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »

Well, if you’re talking about the big international HAMFEST I think you’re talking about...

Yes, you can usually get excellent prices and discounts, sometimes deep discounts, from the dealers and commercial vendors.

OK. If I know I can get some good deals, the cost of travel is fair to get to hang out with fellow hams for a few days.

Oh, if you go, don’t forget to be on the outlook for “leftovers” from the farm show(s) also held at the site.  I have yet to see any, or know of anyone who has, but there’s a certain expert who lives in the area who insists these are there... even though he has never attended the HAMFEST at it’s new site. 

Ah...He was supposed to host is his own hamfest in the fall to show us all how it is done.  But I have never seen any advertisements for it. I thought his slogan was Make Hamfest Great Again or something like that.....
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:56:24 AM »

Ah yes, the magic manure only he can see. And from long distance too!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »

.....Are the prices on new gear for the name-brand vendors and quality of speakers at the forums worth the 6 hour drive......
Don't go thinking you're going to score a big discount on a $400 radio; you may not.  Go for the experience, even it it's only once.  It is an experience to be steeped in our hobby for 2 or 3 days, to meet old acquaintances, to tailgate with a bunch of old friends.  That's why I go.  And if I purchase a new piece with savings that underwrite a good portion of my lodging expenses, then so much the better.
W3UC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »

Word has it he knows his $h!t , even from a distance.

I wouldn't attend that hamfest with a goal of saving big bucks on those items . What makes that hamfest great is walking around checking out the vintage and new gear as well as chatting with fellow hams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: