The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal Operation In Greece  (Read 635 times)
KJ4DMO

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »

Hello all,

I will be traveling to Athens, Greece in May and would like to take my HTs if possible. I've been trying to understand the radio laws in Greece, but I'm having trouble finding enough information for my specific questions.

• Can I take my GMRS/FRS radios with me and are the any of those frequencies that are restricted or illegal in Greece?
  • Can I take my VHF/UHF HTs with me (Yaesu FT-60 & Baofeng UV-5r) and use them on legal frequencies?
  • What are the legal VHF/UHF frequencies?

I've reached out to the Radio Amateur Association of Greece (http://www.raag.org/homepage.asp?ITMID=2&LANG=EN), but have not heard anything back.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve
KJ4DMO
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:04:20 AM »

GMRS/FRS is NO - they don't meet the requirements under the Radio Equipment Directive.

Amateur use of an HT is no unless you have an Advanced or Extra class US licence.

CEPT T/R61-01 Annex 4 applies. https://www.ecodocdb.dk/download/2ae38a89-e58a/TR6101.pdf
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »

Smiley Not quite a message from God, but I suspect that G3RZP talks to the licensing Gods on a regular basis.
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »

When I wanted to operate overseas I just went to the ARRL site and followed their links and recommendations.  No problems operating in several countries.  I made sure I printed up copies of the documents they suggested.  I never operated in Greece, but understand that many European Union countries let you operate with the appropriate US FCC license.  I never had any problems carrying ham equipment on aircraft or in going through customs dozens of times.  Make sure you read up on the airline requirements, such as carrying extra batteries, etc.  At the time I believe many countries required a higher class FCC license and since I had an extra it qualified just fine.   Good luck   KL7CW
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:30:09 AM »

All the CEPT countries require a US Advanced or Extra Class licence for temporary operation under T/R 61-01.

Interesting, because some 50 or so years ago, a US General enabled one to get a G5 + 3 letter call in the UK.

I suspect that G3RZP talks to the licensing Gods on a regular basis.

Not so much these days, but I do know where to look in the CEPT documentation on the web! Plus I'm still a Technical Consultant for the RSGB Spectrum Forum as well as Technical Consultant for the IARU.
KJ4DMO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:18:40 AM »

Thank you everyone. This helps.  I currently have a General license, so this is additional incentive to upgrade to Extra.  I also found this on the RAA site for Greece:  http://www.raag.org/displayITM1.asp?ITMID=11&LANG=EN

Another question... is it possible to purchase the PMR446 radios (similar to our FRS/GMRS radios) here in the US?  I see them on Ebay, but not other places like Amazon. I'm guessing because they are not legal here in the states?

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: