The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DNS PROBLEMS  (Read 602 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »

We have an AT&T wireless network in the house.  The wife & I each use HP ProBook laptops.  My laptop has HP's "OEM" Windows 7 Professional.  The XYL's laptop has a professionally installed replacement version.

The router sits in my office/shack.  Obviously I have a full strength wireless signal.  The XYL's signal strength is usually 80 percent of mine.

PROBLEM:  The XYL uses Facebook with Opera to stay in touch with distant family members.  When I'm on the wireless network and she's on Facebook, she frequently gets "DNS" problems in that, while she has a strong wireless signal, either Facebook or Opera can't find the internet.

When the XYL uses a hard wired connection to the router, she doesn't have the "DNS" problem.

If I'm not online, she doesn't have the DNS" problem.

Is there any solution other than one of the computers usind a hard eired connection?       
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »

Check to make sure that both computers are getting their IP address assigned via DHCP which means they don't have static IP addresses assigned.

What is the exact DNS error message?

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »

... or for troubleshooting purposes, set YOUR computer to use a static IP. This has nothing to do with Facebook or Opera or any other application. This is a basic networking fundamental setup issue, we just don't know where yet.

Open a DOS window and issue the command "IPCONFIG /all". You will see a lot of information on the screen. Scroll up through the data and zero in on the section "Wireless Adapter" and that has a value of something like IPv4 - 192.168.0.20

Change yours to a static value of 100+ (ie. 192.168.0.120) See link below on how to do this.
https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-to-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows

Reboot computer and re-create error scenario and gather results. Let us know what you discover. The results you provide will allow us to get closer to the culprit.

EDIT: the above steps are just checking for any IP address conflict. The real problem is with the DNS service which we'll get to.

Run the "IPCONFIG /all" command on both computers during the error scenario and note what the DNS Servers value is for the computers. Should be the same. You can also run the command "NSLOOKUP 8.8.8.8" on each computer. You should get the same results but because of your error condition, you will get something different. Report back your findings.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:56:21 PM by KLONDIKEMIKE » Logged
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:57:21 PM »

You can also just be out of luck with the PC you have.
I have a Dell XPS 15 that's about 4 years old, and it does this frequently.  There's nothing that I haven't done besides changing the WiFi adapter in it.
I believe it's a combination with the particular adapter and the driver.
73 Tom
va2fsq.com

VA2FSQ
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »

DNS is handled by your internet provider's servers. It doesn't seem like it, but just in case they are causing the problems you can select other DNS servers in your windows settings and bypass AT&T's. I like to use ProtonVPN: no Windows settings changes required, it's free, encrypted end to end and they have their own DNS service. You could try that and see if bypassing AT&T's DNS server fixes things.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »

DNS responses are also cached by the PC and by the Opera web browser. If either of these caches get corrupted, it will through errors.

We can stop speculating since the OP, N9LCD, seems to be MIA.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »

... We can stop speculating since the OP, N9LCD, seems to be MIA.- Glenn W9IQ
For those of us that are paying attention, it appears Iran is doing some "DNS hijacking" and targeting bigger fish than you and I. Maybe N9LCD has some juicy data tidbits that they are after. With this kind of stuff going on, how is a little fish suppose to survive? See link below for details;

https://threatpost.com/unprecedented-dns-hijacking-attacks-linked-to-iran/140737/

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »

You could also try setting a secondary Google DNS, which IIRC are 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »

You could also try setting a secondary Google DNS, which IIRC are 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8.

Google Public DNS addresses are 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8.  Level3 owns 4.2.2.2 and 4.4.4.4.  Those addresses have been used for a very long time, pre-Google. 

Cloudfare has 1.1.1.1 as a public DNS address, and they say they don't sell user data to advertisers, unlike Google and Level3.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

I've used all of them in the past, both at work and when my home ISP's (CenturyLink) DNS servers go down, which happens every couple of months for about 15-30 minutes at a time.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »

REPORT FROM THE FRONT -- 03:43GMT 17 JAN'19.

The XYL had great WiFi on her computer for the last two & a half days.  Tonight -- nothing except the "DNS" error generated by Opera.  I put her on a "hard wired" connection.  There's nothing like stretching 50 feet of blue CAT-6 through the house.

I tend to think the problem may be in one of two areas: corrupted caches as mentioned by W9IQ or the adapter & driver as mentioned by VA2FSQ.  If I'm not out shoveling snow, I'll try to go over her computer over the weekend -- too risky diggin' in to a computer when you're sleepy.

Hopefully I'll get Opera's exact wording of the DNS error message tomorrow.  But, as we all well know, when you want an error message, you don't get it.

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 05:03:08 PM »

Here's the error "screen" that keeps popping-up.

"THIS SITE CAN'T BE REACHED

WWW.QTH.COM'S SERVER IP ADDRESS COULD NOT BE FOUND.

TRY RUNNING WINDOWS NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

The XYL's wireless connection worked good for an hour while we successfully worked FaceBook and downloaded a documentary at the same time.  The computer "sat" for about 90 minutes and I "tested" it and got the above error message.

This is the same error message as when we're on FaceBook except for the website's name
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »

Just curious; Are you using Opera's vpn? Also it would be very easy to install Google's Chrome browser and see how things go.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »

Open a command line screen (win icon and type cmd, , click on the app it shows) and type tracert qth.com.

Bet you can reach it then. Old Internet trick, the DNS route probably aged out of router cache.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »

Thanks for all the advice but I took the "easy way" out.

I began to suspect that the problem was rooted in two electronically identical laptops on the internet at the same time.  The XYL seldom. if ever, had the DNS problem when I wasn't on a wireless connection to the internet.

SOLUTION:  The wife uses WiFi to connect.  I use a hardwired connection because the router is right next to me.  And, when I'm using the wireless connection, the XYL is usually busy in the kitchen.

Yeah, I know it isn't "high tech" but, what really matters, it seems to have solved the problem.

Jerry
N9LCD

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »

I began to suspect that the problem was rooted in two electronically identical laptops on the internet at the same time.

"Electronically identical" as in "same IP address?"

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: