The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC7610 USB type A hub issue.  (Read 860 times)
GM0ULK

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »

Hi,

IC-7610 Icom USB issue.

I wanted to connect to the type A USB (that's the two on front of the radio) a USB hub to run 3 items, that is a keyboard, Mouse and the RC-28 encoder. As there is only two USB sockets, I thought a small 4 port hub would work but I find that the keyboard and the mouse do not work unless they are operated from the sockets on the front panel. Does this radio support a hub and if so, can anyone recommend a hub that is compatible with the radio. As the manual states, I am not running two of the same item, just trying to get three items working on the USB via a hub.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Steve
GMOULK
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:07 PM »

Steve: I believe I’ve read either on the 7610 io.group or the manual that the rig does not support the use of a USB hub. Too bad because even with 4 USB ports, you always seem to need one more Smiley Are you plugging in a seperate keyboard and mouse on the front ports? If so, you can eliminate one by going to a combined wireless keyboard and mouse like a Logitech pair. The wireless dongle is the only thing that is plugged into the USB port.
GM0ULK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »

Thanks Johnie,

Many thanks or your input on this, I believe that that is the best fix by using a combined keyboard, but it must be a wired version as the radio does not support the Logitech type dongles.

I called the Icom support line (UK) and spoke to a technical person who confirmed that the radio will not support a hub so if all else fails, I think the remote encoder (RC-28) and the keyboard will stay and the mouse will go. The mouse does not do very much, it only moves about the scope and is quite limited.

Thanks again for your response, I think that this issue is now closed and the take away from this is that the Icom 7610 USB is not specifically designed for serial bus supporting a hub, but only uses a single item per socket.

Best regards

Steve
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »

There are hubs and switches. Switches have worked for me where a hub failed.
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Hub_vs_Switch

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »

Thanks Johnie,

Many thanks or your input on this, I believe that that is the best fix by using a combined keyboard, but it must be a wired version as the radio does not support the Logitech type dongles.

I called the Icom support line (UK) and spoke to a technical person who confirmed that the radio will not support a hub so if all else fails, I think the remote encoder (RC-28) and the keyboard will stay and the mouse will go. The mouse does not do very much, it only moves about the scope and is quite limited.

Thanks again for your response, I think that this issue is now closed and the take away from this is that the Icom 7610 USB is not specifically designed for serial bus supporting a hub, but only uses a single item per socket.

Best regards

Steve

Steve: Just to let you know, the Logitech wireless dongle with the Keyboard/Mouse pair works fine with a 7610. I know because I'm using it Smiley Nothing fancy, just a cheapo ($25) version from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAGXZC

I think I read on the 7610 groups.io forum that it worked, went ahead and bought the combo, and sure it enough worked like a champ. If you are not on the 7610 group, I would highly recommend you sign up for it. Lots of good information there:

https://groups.io/g/ic-7610

And Max, we are talking about a USB port here, not a Ethernet port. Unless you know of a USB switch that works the same way, I don't think it would apply.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:01:00 AM by K7KB » Logged
GM0ULK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »

Hi Johnie,

I have just tried the Logitech dongle, and it works! I set up the dongle to pair with the keyboard and mouse using my laptop, removed the dongle and inserted it into the 7610 and hey presto.... perfect. I now have my encoder, mouse and keyboard all functioning using the two USB sockets on the front of the rig. I think I heard that the dongles did not work in the 7610 on a YouTube post, so here is another lesson, not all info on that medium is true!

I will now go and join the 7610 group as suggested in your post, I did not know that there was one. It sounds like there are a few in there that know plenty.

Best regards and thanks again for your support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: