The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here'e how to record and transmit audio files thru Icom 7300  (Read 531 times)
KC8UD

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:14:50 PM »

You can transmit recorded audio files on an Icom 7300 immediately on the fly. You don't need to eject the SD card and manipulate the file in a computer before playing back in the transceiver. Curious? Here's how to do it....

If you have a computer right there in the shack near the radio then you're going to use the computer to record and play back. You do not even need to use the SD card in the 7300. Download the free open source audio editing program Audacity. You can find it at www.audacityteam.org. I also have the Icom driver installed on my computer but it might not be necessary for this procedure.

Once you have Audacity downloaded and installed plug in the USB cable between your radio and your computer. Once the cable is connected then launch Audacity. Audacity's inputs and outputs will need to be configured for sending and receiving audio to/from the radio. To do this click on the speaker icon near the top center of the page and choose "USB Audio Codec" from the list. Then move over to the right a little ways and click on the microphone icon and choose "USB Audio Codec" there also. Notice the two audio level indicators in the upper part of the screen. Click on the recording level meter, the left most meter. This will now start Audacity monitoring audio from the radio and you can see and adjust the audio level coming into the computer by sliding the level control in the upper right near the microphone icon.

When you're ready to record just click on the big red record button (upper left) and you will see your audio file start building with an audio waveform graphically displayed on the time line. Click the black square button the stop. When you want to play the file out over the air you must go to the radio and press the mode button in the upper left of the IC-7300 screen which will say either USB or LSB (depending on which band you're operating). Once you click that a menu opens for you to select other modes. Press DATA. Then press the transmit button or key and hold your mic while you click the play button on Audacity. The file starts playing and it is transmitting through the radio. You might not hear it over your speakers because the computer is outputting audio directly to your radio instead of the speakers. There may be a work around for this by using virtual audio cable which will require a bit more set up.

What I've just explained is a fairly simple way to accomplish the task and once you've done it you can get quite fast at it. This will allow you to record someone for a signal check and then with just a couple of fast button pushes you can play back the audio file for them over the air. You can adjust the playback level by watching your power output and ALC and adjusting the slider near the speaker icon in Audacity. Just know that when you're ready to talk to them again you need to change the radio mode back to either USB or LSB. The mic will be muted while in DATA mode.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »

Thanks for that excellent write up.  I knew this could be done, but I have never done it.  I have ejected the SD card and emailed audio to folks that wanted to hear it, but this would be quick as long as signal strengths were good between stations.  Again thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: