The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technical Advances That Have Killed Amateur Radio by Making It Too Easy  (Read 2810 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

The point of my post is that too many ops react to new technologies by ominously predicting that they will ruin amateur radio

The op's aren't bellyaching about "new technology", they're really bellyaching about the intrusion upon their "hallowed frequencies" by the unwashed masses the new technology will bring.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »

Well, in every one of these displacement technologies, what the OB's are really bellyaching about is the fact when something new and better comes along that advances the state of the art, it means the new guys don't have to "suffer" like I did. And if a new guy doesn't have to suffer like I did then "IT AIN'T FAIR!"  "everyone should have to suffer like I did or otherwise I just suffered in vain".

Every new advancement that comes along that makes life easier just means I was too STUPID to invent it myself and enjoy its benefits. And no one wants to think of themselves as stupid.  "YOU CAN'T USE THAT! IT IS RUINING HAM RADIO"  We always have to do things the old way. Cause that is the way it was, and By GUM, that is the way it is going to be too, if I have any say so in it!. so there!.

Such as it always was, such as it will always be. So it shall be written, So it shall be done..
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »

The op's aren't bellyaching about "new technology", they're really bellyaching about the intrusion upon their "hallowed frequencies" by the unwashed masses the new technology will bring.

This isn't a problem with FT8.  It packs a lot of users into a very small segment of the band, so that there is more room for hams who wish to rag chew using traditional modes like CW and SSB.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »

Frequency counters have taken the fun out of it.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »

I built a homebrew frequency counter that features a rewound transformer!  I used it to monitor the frequency of my homebrew 30M transceiver so I could get close to the band edge!
KW4JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 03:33:12 AM »

Incentive licensing
KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »

not one thing on that list hurts ham radio..
its the airwaves themselfs..

ever sit back and listen to the BULL-HIT on some of the freqs... even the hams themselfs gettin nasty about this or that if your not in there click ...

radio is killing itself...

who would want to get there ticket after listening to the crap out there..... its one of the reasons iam out of the hobby ...
net this net that. f this f that. ur not in the click goaway . its our freq get off it.
and answers such as its been goin on for years .. yeah dont do nothing to chage it.. just let it go on n on n on ..
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »

ever sit back and listen to the BULL-HIT on some of the freqs... even the hams themselfs gettin nasty about this or that if your not in there click ...

Nope! Never have listened to that stuff. And I have been doing this since 1965. Life is far to short to listen to that crap. Spin the dial.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »

Nope! Never have listened to that stuff. And I have been doing this since 1965. Life is far to short to listen to that crap. Spin the dial.

i get that spin the dial. but yep theres the butt lol ..... its out there and kids can come across it. so on.. parents might hear it and say ooo no way .. then tell the kids turn off thr radio and they forget about it and so on... it is what it is.. so be it..
spin the dial is rite. but its still there...

i guess i thought hams were a better class of people then that...
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:38 PM »

The point of my post is that too many ops react to new technologies by ominously predicting that they will ruin amateur radio. This has been going on for a century, yet every one of these predictions has been wrong.

Kind of like the prediction that if we don't get more young people involved in ham radio, it is going to die.  I have been hearing that since I was first licensed in 1980 also.

73 John AF5CC
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »

i get that spin the dial. but yep theres the butt lol ..... its out there and kids can come across it. so on.. parents might hear it and say ooo no way .. then tell the kids turn off thr radio and they forget about it and so on... it is what it is.. so be it..
spin the dial is rite. but its still there...

i guess i thought hams were a better class of people then that...

I think you are generalizing humanity in general. There is always a jerk in every crowd, even in Amateur Radio. However, for the most part, I’ve always found most hams to be friendly and helpful. I’m sorry you had a bad experience in the past, but hopefully you will give us another try sometime in the future.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:26:25 PM by K7KB » Logged
AC1DR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 02:09:08 PM »

Technical advances have not killed Amateur Radio they have made it incredibly better.  Amateur Radio is a hobby to foster wireless communication via radio wave propagation.  The many technology advances have facilitated the broadening of our hobby to include VHF, UHF, SSB, and many new Digital modes.  Whether the hardware is spark gap, crystals, Vacuum tubes, Transistors, VLSI Circuits, augmented by Digital Signal Processing, Microprocessors, software define radios, or the next great invention, DOES NOT diminish the hobby, it greatly enhances the hobby.  Whether you like to build a home-brew tube amplifier, assemble a solid state kit, design and construct your own antenna farm, purchase available old/new equipment, and operate CW, Voice and/or one of the digital modes, the hobby has something for everyone.......SP
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »

Ah, the good old days of spark.  God, I love the smell of ozone in the morning.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 10:18:30 PM »

You also forgot Echolink and RHR.

I will also say that yes if we don't get younger people involved the Hobby will eventually die
when the last generation that was interested goes SK.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 06:29:49 AM »

I will also say that yes if we don't get younger people involved the Hobby will eventually die
when the last generation that was interested goes SK. 73s Rob

If you want to get young people interested, I suggest you engage in whatever ham radio activities you find interesting.  They are far more interested in what they can do now, instead of listening to stories about how good things used to be.

I worked Western Sahara on 160M this morning for a new country on FT8!

Zak W1VT
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: