The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oak Ridge, TN and antenna restrictions  (Read 2322 times)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 03:12:50 AM »

Clayton,

The ARRL recently stepped in to help defend N2EHG against the Town of LeGrange, New York. He was trying to get a permit for a 70 foot tower and the town kept raising financial and procedural barriers.

They took it to the New York Supreme Court Appellate Division. The court ruled that the town violated PRB-1 and that they overstepped their state granted authority when they placed unreasonable burden on N2EHG to obtain a permit. That is great case law for amateurs.

Yet another example of the value of the ARRL to the amateur radio community.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 06:09:52 AM »

Clayton,

The ARRL recently stepped in to help defend N2EHG against the Town of LeGrange, New York. He was trying to get a permit for a 70 foot tower and the town kept raising financial and procedural barriers.

They took it to the New York Supreme Court Appellate Division. The court ruled that the town violated PRB-1 and that they overstepped their state granted authority when they placed unreasonable burden on N2EHG to obtain a permit. That is great case law for amateurs.

Yet another example of the value of the ARRL to the amateur radio community.

- Glenn W9IQ

Glen, I am looking forward to sitting in on your forum tomorrow at the Mt. Vernon Hamfest. Never mind Clayton, he always has to "hate" on something. Bless his heart. Smiley
N7MDW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »

I solved this dilemma by instead moving to Maryville TN. 1 acre, no HOA, no restrictions, so my 27ft ZeroFive 10-40 ground plane vertical sits 24ft up a Rohn push-up pole. All is good.
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »

Wow. Apparently, the HOA gets to determine your allegiance, secondary to the US flag.
I guess that if you're a Canadian living in Florida, you can't display both a US and a Canadian flag then.
Or anything else. I guess that a Harley Davidson flag would be straight out.

What's sorely needed is a serious Legal Sissy Slapping of the HOAs.
While I do hear that some of them are accomdating of Ham radio, let alone freedoms of speech and expression, PREEMPTION by Law will put the Chill in a lot of HOA Busybodies, let alone their Lackey counterparts who lurk on eham and other sites when an unsuspecting. New Victim of the HOAs need what they think think is a bit of "HOA Education", and they are met by HOA Lackey Lurker Types, before said HOA Lackies begin crying "waaa waaa I'm a victim myself!" and getting the post(s) shut down, whenThe Opposition gets heavy, and nonsense is called out for the nonsense it is.

Always, the HOA Lackey Types will cry Foul. Always. Always!

Perhaps it is something in their character that draws them to HOA oppression as a "Comfortable" thing in the first place. Different concepts seem to make them uncomfortable. Uniformity to the point of Concrete thinking seems to carry their day, with an obsession with supression of all other outside the box thinking.

Always playing in the background is a belief that if we don't sit in our chairs and behave and remind The Teacher that she forgot to assign weekend homework like they do, we are bad children. Remember THAT KID in your class when YOU were a kid? No Doubt, an HOA Lackie in the making, or already formed even then.
Sprinkle a bit of Sixth Grade Malignant Narcissism (and Seventh Grade Bullying) on top, and there's your HOA Lackie type.

"It's STILL UNHELPFUL TO TELL PEOPLE TO AVOID HOAS AND  SUCH..."

And that's just how it is.

73 DE W8LV BILL
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 07:12:20 AM »

Well, this thread went way out of band. It was originally antennas/HOAs specifically in Oak Ridge TN.

The OP chose to relocate to an area near Oak Ridge that has no HOA at all.

Having said that, I live near Oak Ridge (in Knoxville TN) in a neighborhood with *very* active and restrictive HOA. No antennas allowed. Yet, I have have an outdoor full-size fan dipole that covers 80m/40m/30m/20m/15m. In full violation of the HOA rules. A couple of neighbors know what it is and don't care. Haven't been busted yet. But if I am, I'll take it down. And try something else.  Wink

Antenna restrictions aside, I want to live in a restrictive HOA area. Why? I don't like to live around the "you can't tell me what to do" people. Because eventually, some of those people drag down the property values with junk/RVs in the yard, purple and pink houses, cheap tin roofs that don't look right, and many other associated visual blights. And, unfortunately for me, that means towers and beams.

I've lived in my area most of my life. As yet, I have never heard of a single case locally where a flagpole installation was denied by an HOA. There have been a few cases where flagpoles have to conform to an HOA standard. But, again, I've never heard of a flagpole with a USA flag display being denied in my area. So, a flagpole antenna, and freedom to display our nation's symbol, is alive and well in East TN. At the end of the day, it isn't really an HOA issue, it's a regional issue.

73 de Steve KE4OH
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »

Wow. Apparently, the HOA gets to determine your allegiance, secondary to the US flag.
I guess that if you're a Canadian living in Florida, you can't display both a US and a Canadian flag then.
Or anything else. I guess that a Harley Davidson flag would be straight out.

What's sorely needed is a serious Legal Sissy Slapping of the HOAs.
While I do hear that some of them are accomdating of Ham radio, let alone freedoms of speech and expression, PREEMPTION by Law will put the Chill in a lot of HOA Busybodies, let alone their Lackey counterparts who lurk on eham and other sites when an unsuspecting. New Victim of the HOAs need what they think think is a bit of "HOA Education", and they are met by HOA Lackey Lurker Types, before said HOA Lackies begin crying "waaa waaa I'm a victim myself!" and getting the post(s) shut down, whenThe Opposition gets heavy, and nonsense is called out for the nonsense it is.

Always, the HOA Lackey Types will cry Foul. Always. Always!

Perhaps it is something in their character that draws them to HOA oppression as a "Comfortable" thing in the first place. Different concepts seem to make them uncomfortable. Uniformity to the point of Concrete thinking seems to carry their day, with an obsession with supression of all other outside the box thinking.

Always playing in the background is a belief that if we don't sit in our chairs and behave and remind The Teacher that she forgot to assign weekend homework like they do, we are bad children. Remember THAT KID in your class when YOU were a kid? No Doubt, an HOA Lackie in the making, or already formed even then.
Sprinkle a bit of Sixth Grade Malignant Narcissism (and Seventh Grade Bullying) on top, and there's your HOA Lackie type.

"It's STILL UNHELPFUL TO TELL PEOPLE TO AVOID HOAS AND  SUCH..."

And that's just how it is.

73 DE W8LV BILL

i didn’t think it possible that anyone could so arrogantly insult 64 million people in one  post. Clearly, I was mistaken.
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »

K1VSK,

I am at a loss of words here. I didn't address you.

Your "logic" lost me some time ago. Several posts ago. And at that point I just figured that you are a Lost Cause. Much like HOAs. Plus, I couldn't reply anyway. "Someone" shut the post down.
No Doubt, some pro HOA Type. That always happens on eham.
Safe Friends in Safe places!

https://youtu.be/ur07OFbHs9c

Didn't you already tell us all in forum that you can live anywhere you want.
And you don't care for those Ugly Antennas. Except yours, apparently. You DO live an an HOA and have an antenna there, right? So does that mean then that your antenna is not ugly, but everyone else's is?
And that it is okay for you to have one, but nobody else, since their antenna is ugly?

W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »

Anyway, back to task: Before I was interrupted. By K1VSK, who left me kind of foggy.
But I'm clear now. And I'm not feeling insulted.
And my flags are still flying on HOA FREE Land:

http://hamqth.com/userfiles/w/w8/w8lv/images/w8lvporch(1).jpg

So anyway, back to Oak Ridge. I wonder if maybe OAK Ridge, with one of the most unique histories of any City, might have been a "military district" or has some kind of DOE deed restrictions dating back to the plant.

That might have carried over. I'm sure "potential lighting prone structures" and Y-12 plants are not a good Safety Mix....

WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »

I'm thinking of moving to Oak Ridge, TN and I'd like feedback from any hams in that area

Did we ever get an answer to your questions?

Well, Oak Ridge, Tn is in Anderson County and using QRZ.COM's Callsign Database Search BY COUNTY produces a result of "Page 1 of 14, of 549 matches for: Anderson County, TN" with many Oak Ridge addresses including K4PJ Club Call for: OAK RIDGE AMATEUR RADIO CLUB; PO BOX 4291; OAK RIDGE, TN 37831

I would hope you could contact some of the 549 matches to answer your inquiry?

By the way, an interesting book if you enjoy reading about World War II history is
"The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II"  
by Denise Kiernan - Paperback: 416 pages - Publisher: Atria Books; Reprint edition (March 11, 2014)

It describes the building of the city, the lives of the workers, and the secret levels employed on everyone. The workers did not know what they were doing / or working on until after the Atomic bomb was dropped on Japan and officially announced to the public.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:07:25 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: