The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood 710G and Garmin GPS  (Read 957 times)
KG9ZTX

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2019, 12:54:03 AM »

I have seen several videos and forum threads about hooking up the Garmin Navi 350 to display the APRS on the Nuvi’s map.

However those YouTube videos and threads are more then 5 years old and use a GPS that is now obsolete as well as the older 710 without built in GPS. As noted i have 710G model.

There are several awesome Garmin GPS units currently available. All with USB connections on them.

The Garmin cable as shown on these forums and videos will not work with these newer units.

Is anyone use any of Garmin newer units. 2018 or later with a 710G to show the GPS data on the map?
KG9ZTX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:56:29 AM »

My other idea maybe is to somehow get that data into an apple iPad mini 4 to display on an a maps app?
W0JRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »

Garmin's automotive division dropped support for this, but Garmin's outdoor division still supports it last I knew.  Try a Garmin Montana 680 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/523643).  You'll need the serial / power cable: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-11131-00 to get access to the RS-232 port.

The outdoor products can use the regular maps and do on-street routing and a lot of what the Nuvi products can do.  There are a few other units in the Montana family.  I believe the Oregon and Rino product families will work, too, as will some of the GPSMAP series.  When in doubt, go to the "Accessories" tab on the page of the unit in question, and see if there is a "serial data / power cable" listed in the "Cables & Chargers" section.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: