The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-840 question.  (Read 487 times)
W2DI

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »

Just got this very nice rig, in good condition. I did the resistor mod, and good to go.

Just wondering...

Q1.  With the MH31 hand mic, do you find position 1 or 2 on the back switch to be better?
        I think #1 has more lows.

Q2.  What is your best position for the Mic Gain (SSB)?

Q3.  Do you use the processor?

Thanks very much.

Joe  |  W2DI
W2DI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »

So far, I found that there is not much difference between the switch position on the back of the hand mic. On setting 2 the lows roll off faster than on 1. So I think I’ll put it on 2 and see if I get good audio reports.

60% full seems like a good setting...

...with the processor on. Got a good report and the ALC meter reads in the optimum zone.

Contest yesterday and today. Not good for audio reports.
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »

Great that you have your radio on the air and are working stations. That said, do yourself a big favor and use a desk mic of any quality manufacture.    I have several MH 31 hand mics as they came with my radios. Their fine for mobile operation but are just awful compared to a good mic. I use an MD-100 and it sounds good but there are many others that will suit your needs.    Position #2 does cut the lows more than position #1.     Best 73, Jim
W2DI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »

I think that's what I'm going to have to do, Jim. I know when I had equipment before, an Icom 718 specifically, going to the desk mike was a very noticeable improvement.

The MD-100 is an excellent mic. I had one several years back with an FT-450AT. Wish I had kept that rig. But this will do for now. Just not as advanced with filtering.

Thanks. Good suggestion!
joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: