The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging of DMR contacts?  (Read 618 times)
KE0IOU

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »

I just got a DMR set up completed and while it is fun I have the feeling it is not exactly the ham radio I know and love.  While it is a form and you have to have a license to operate on it something just doesn't seem right.  The only radio you are truly using is from radio to repeater or in my case radio to hot spot.

While enjoy DMR I don't think the contacts should be counted towards awards.  Now I really don't care that much about an award anyway, it just doesn't seem right to me.  I have used FT8 quite a lot and although boring it is moire like ham radio to me than DMR.

I guess my question is do you log your DMR contacts and if so where?  I am think about making a totally different log for DMG because sometimes it is fun to reflect back on what I have done.  I currently use MacLoggerXL and really don't have a desire to log them there even if I cound and I am not sure it is even possible.

Just wanted to see what, if anything, others were doing.

Thanks

David
KEĂ˜IOU

Go Chiefs!!
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »

I have not yet used DMR, but here is my thought on it as well as Fusion, IRLP, Echolink, Allstar, and all the other internet assisted modes.

Yes, those modes can be fun, interesting, and even useful in some situations. I agree that internet assisted contacts should not be counted towards awards and I'm pretty sure that none of the major award sponsors recognize them. Now, if there is some group or organization that sponsors specific awards for using those modes, I would have no problems with that and even think it could be kinda fun to go after them. It's just that working a 600mi contact on HF is a whole different game than a 600mi contact from your HT to your hotspot across the room and then through the internet to his hotspot and across his room to his HT.

Now, regarding logging your DMR contacts, my first reaction is to say "don't bother" but I can also see why someone might want to; and it might be fun to try and get DMR WAS or reach some other goal just for your own personal satisfaction and you might want to track your progress towards that goal. I'm not familiar with the software that you use for logging, but would imagine that you would be able to start a new log file that you use for DMR contacts and switch back to your 'regular' file for everything else. Also, if you are using a separate log file just for DMR contacts, you can easily log them just like any other contact by choosing the appropriate band (2m, 440, etc) and choosing the most appropriate mode and you will know they are DMR because they are in that specific log.

That's just my current thoughts and we'll see if anyone else weighs in.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »

I don't normally log 'repeater' contacts (FM, DSTAR, etc). They aren't anything that people will want to send/receive a QSL card where I need to mark times, etc. They aren't used for any sort of award.

The only time I will log anything on VHF/UHF.. would be stuff like 6 meter E openings/meteor scatter, VHF contests, satellite QSO's, moonbounce QSO's as I have exchanged QSL's for them or used contacts towards contests or awards (dxcc)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: