The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside every nerd is an interesting person just waiting to show itself.  (Read 917 times)
N1AUP

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:57:51 PM »

All of you are no doubt familiar with the stereotypical ham radio conversation. 

Name here is...
QTH is...
Rig here is....
Antenna here is...

At this point, the conversation usually revolves around radios, antennas, or some other topic related to ham radio.

The funny thing is that if you talk to these folks off the air, 99% of the time, you find out that these folks are really interesting.  One ham I know is really into kites and photography.  Another brews homemade beer.  Others bake bread and biscotti, surf, build hot rods, fly aerobatic airplanes, and write published novels.  One guy who used to hang out on the 146.64 Waltham Ma repeater used to recreate old-fashioned scientific instruments for NPR programs.  Talking to him was never a dull moment.

The conversations about rigs and antennas, and coax cable is cool, but I'm curious why more people don't share things about their personal worlds?  I'd love to learn more about how to publish a book, or how flying aerobatics differs from flying a Cessna 150.  Or, if you're a famous guitarist for a major rock band, how does the whole music business work?

Figured I would throw this up for contemplation.

Chris
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »

I will take a conversation regarding radios, DXing & antennas over hearing about the other guys weather any day of the week. Boring, boring, boring........While living in Minnesota a number of years ago I had a CW QSO with a guy about 15 miles away from me. I told him I was in a neighboring suburb but he went in depth about the weather anyway. Old habits die hard I guess.

Tom KC0W       
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:46:38 AM »

Some years ago, I had a 90 minute long SSB QSO on 21 MHz with a guy who was train driver (engineer in US terms!) Very interesting discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of a two pipe Westinghouse or vacuum brake system over the single pipe type, even with direct admission brake cylinders......
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 05:50:26 AM »

I'm curious why more people don't share things about their personal worlds? 

Usually because the op working them doesn't ask.  Wink
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »

I will take a conversation regarding radios, DXing & antennas over hearing about the other guys weather any day of the week. Boring, boring, boring........While living in Minnesota a number of years ago I had a CW QSO with a guy about 15 miles away from me. I told him I was in a neighboring suburb but he went in depth about the weather anyway. Old habits die hard I guess.

Tom KC0W       
Yes...LOL...I agree. We have a guy here who, on the simplex 2 meter net every morning gives a full wx report (yawn). I can almost see him from my window. It's just habit but yes, boring...usually followed by, "it's another beautiful day here...". Oh well. It's better than the stuff I hear on 7200!

DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »

Once I tell people that the station is 100% home brew it's often a conversation starter, especially if the ham at the other end is also a constructor. My record is a QSO lasting well over an hour and this was on 40m CW!

Other stuff? Some folk ask why I don't use eQSL or LOTW, and if someone comes on air and asks for a signal report then ask them what they have done that made a signal check needed. The combination of texting and twitter seems to be killing the art of conversation so we need to get it back.

Peter DL8OV
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:15:51 AM »

Many years ago, I was in QSO on 80m with G6JP. George was professionally throughout his long career involved in valve (thermionic tube) design and production at the M-O Valve company in Hammersmith in London, and we were talking about some of technicalities involved in transmitting tube production and operation. At one stage, a guy with an obviously new licence called in and asked if we 'had licences to talk about professional technicalities on an amateur band.........He said the discussion wasn't amateur radio.......George had at that time been licenced some 70 years and was pretty caustic in his reply. I was just the 'newby' - at that time I had only been licenced for 47 years and a professional radio engineer  for about 45 years.... but even I wasn't exactly polite!
NE1U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »

My best friends are those nerds & geeks == the normal people to me. Smiley
KI7RS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »

Tom KC0W       

If he's from Minnesota that's all he ever talks about.  I'm getting text and messages about the weather now from my family.  I've told them more than once I don't care, but they can't help themselves. 
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »

Ya know, we hams do spend a lot of time talking about ham radio, but I gotta say that I'd much rather hear hams talk about radios, antennas, and propagation than listen to them go on and on and on in gory detail about their latest medical problems, or engage in endless "Trump bashing", or gripe and moan about how the ARRL sucks and the FCC ruined ham radio by eliminating the code requirement. 

If you want a QSO to veer off into a non-radio topic, take it there yourself, don't wait for the other station to do it.  "So, Bill, what do you do for a living?  What hobbies are you into besides ham radio?  I'm an electrical engineer with over 38 years working for a major aerospace company, and I love classic cars, aviation, photography, travel, and fishing.  How about you?  <other station's callsign> from K5DH.  Over."  Try it some time. 
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »

I'm an electrical engineer with over 38 years working for a major aerospace company, and I love classic cars, aviation, photography, travel, and fishing.  How about you? <other station's callsign> from K5DH.  Over."  Try it some time.
DH:
If I tried that the FCC would fly to Pa, arrest me and Take away my ticket! They know I'm not K5DH! … sigh …
LOL
Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 05:43:08 AM »

But if I tried this I'd get hold of the only uninteresting person on the radio that day and be stuck trying to think of an excuse to end it!  Sad

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 05:46:36 AM »

Tom KC0W       
Ahh, the old fashioned CW QSO, how exciting!
It reminds me of the good old Binary Code conversations we used to have back in the ‘80’s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: