The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rattle cans  (Read 906 times)
WB4SPT

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:28:48 AM »

I intend to shoot a National chassis.  Looks to be "haze grey" /  "battleship grey" or so.   My question though, is who makes a decent spray can.  I tend to NOT prefer a round pattern, rather have a fan shaped spray.   Who does a good job with this? 
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 07:57:46 AM »

Can you simply buy cans of paint plus reducer and use the thinned mixture in an HVLP gun? The smaller ones don't take a lot of air compressor to run effectively.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »

you could take it to an auto body shop, get a paint match, and have them shoot it with a hardened (two-part) enamel that it would take a chisel to scratch. be sure to tell them it's a tube radio, and the surface will get warm.
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »

I intend to shoot a National chassis.  Looks to be "haze grey" /  "battleship grey" or so.   My question though, is who makes a decent spray can.  I tend to NOT prefer a round pattern, rather have a fan shaped spray.   Who does a good job with this? 

Based on my experience, the first significant step up over common Lowe's or Home Depot store brand enamel (which is actually pretty decent paint, if you follow the rules -- recoat intervals, fat over lean, etc. -- when you shoot it) would be Rustoleum.  It's available in a wrinkle finish, though that might not be found in every home improvement Big Box.  Also 2-3 different grays to choose from.

For spray pattern, I used to use the Lowe's store brand for model rockets, and at that time (1990s, so anyone's guess whether it's still the case) it had a nearly flat-fan pattern, much like what you get from a professional spray gun.  You should be able to tell if you pull the lid off a can in the store -- if there's a rotating nozzle on the valve button, it's a flat or narrow ellipse spray.
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:30:29 AM »

I have painted many cabinets, car parts, household items with good success by using the can at an ANGLE.  I suggest that you spray at about 60 degrees from vertical and spray toward the work covering the over-spray as you go about the work.  This works and provides a bit more of a fan without the ZEBRA stripe effects.  I also warm the work with a mild heat lamp and preheat the spray can to about 120 degrees to improve the pressure and flow of the paint.

If I have large work I have several cans ready - shaken and warmed.  It is also helpful to paint under fluorescent lamps so that you can monitor the patterns effect and coverage.  Always do several light coats closely following one another after a minute of flashing time, and alter the direction to insure even coating.  I find that following these steps offers great results and I paint cars but rather avoid all the clean up of the gun for smaller jobs.  Enjoy Woody
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »

I do a lot of rattle can spray painting for refurbishments and new construction (guitar and hi-fi tube amps). I find Rustoleum to be very good. I never paid attention to the spray pattern, but I assume it to be round. They have a matte gray that matches a lot of Hallicrafters gear very closely (HT-40, HT-37, etc.). I don't know about National. I prefer Rustoleum hammered finish because it hides surface imperfections very well. Color choice in hammered is limited, though.

73 de Steve KE4OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: