The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tempo one  (Read 394 times)
K9DBE

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2019, 03:41:35 AM »

came across a pristine blackface tempo one at a hamfest with the digital readout replaced four tubes,waiting on a new driver tube. The good news this one has never been cbized. I love smell of an old tube rig coming back to life
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:56:07 AM »

Awesome! I have a silver-face Tempo One and I get a real kick out of using it.

My advice: put a muffin fan on top of the final cage or bolted to the back of the final cage. Those finals run *hot*.

I use mine primarily for CW. If you do too, I recommend sticking a small knob on the RF level control, which is on the back. You have to twist this control pretty often. Also for CW, the VOX circuit is what controls the semi-QSK. I had to replace the film caps in mine to make it work right and even upped the value of one of them to give me the amount of delay that I like.

There are two mica caps in the final circuit that are under rated. If either fail, they will take your finals out. I don't have the part numbers in my mind, but a Google search will find the fix for you. It is a well-known issue.

The Tempo One has a really good VFO in it. Rock solid and doesn't drift much after power-on.

I've mostly replaced all the electrolytics in the rig and power supply. However, I've come to find out that Yaesu used extremely good caps such that they rarely fail, even after all these years. So I might have wasted my time.

73 de Steve KE4OH
K9DBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 06:49:08 AM »

Thanks for the info.The next challenge is finding whats wrong with dd-ic readout,but with a new driver tube it will be on the air soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: