The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something I never thought I'd see  (Read 1247 times)
W4JCK

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »

Recently, I suffered the demise of my Fluke 77 dmm.  I had the meter for 25, 26 years.  At one time, it was the centerpiece of my test bench.  It has since been relegated to kitchen drawer/toolbox status.  It still worked quite well despite that funky 3200 count display.  The test bench has been updated a couple of times since I got the 77.

So, I decided to get a new drawer/toolbox meter.  And I got another Fluke.  Yes, I know there are numerous, good quality dmms available now that cost less.  But, I'm old and set in my ways.  I used Flukes in college (original 8000s, I think) and every place I worked after college had Flukes - not that I could afford to own one personally.  That 77 was my first.  But I digress.

I ordered a Fluke 117 as my replacement.  Not a high-end meter, but not a cheap meter either.  It arrived and I popped open the shipping box.  And there it was...  A fluke meter in a Blister Pack!

Just like it maybe came off a pegboard at a Sears/NAPA/Autozone store.  A blister pack.  Not what I was expecting, to say the least.  I guess the lower end of Fluke's line is now a commodity item.  Time marches on, I guess.  Also, gone are those silky, flexible silicone test leads - replaced by some sort of vinyl or pvc insulation.  The meter is still pretty neat with some new features and a "normal" 6000 count display.  I bumped it against my Fluke bench meter and the accuracy is quite good.

But really, a blister pack?

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »

Reminds me of when people ask for a good brand of automobile tire.
Yes GoodYear makes some quality tires, but they also sell a couple of 'economy lines'.

They would miss out on a large share of the market, if they only sold high end tires.

Brand name doesn't tell the whole story.
Most manufacturers sell several product lines.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »

I replaced my Xcelite nutdriver set that I bought in the 70's..... They work OK, but the quality isn't there like it was..... shim marks on the metal and the plastic handle, and the case is a 'crackable' plastic, not the 'soft' case like in days of old....

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »

Blister pack would mean nothing to me.  I'd be more concerned about where it was made.  If it isn't China, I'll be totally amazed.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »

Yes, blister packaging is the new way to sell stuff. Too bad.

Remember the old saw that went something like this; "If it's reliable, and if it's accurate, then it's a Fluke."
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »

<<"If it isn't China, I'll be totally amazed>>

I didn't want to mention that part but it's true.  Then again, it's getting harder to find something that isn't.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 04:27:13 AM »

It also seems that China is supplier to the world of fake parts.....
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 04:46:53 AM »

Seen Fluke branded meters hanging on pegs here in hardware stores here.

Went though this last year when my Beckman RMS-225 quit after 26 years of faithful service. I ended up buying a Keysight U-1241B to replace it.

Here's to you getting another quarter century out of your new meter.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:03:37 AM »

My Fluke T5-600 Electrical Tester came in a box not a blister pack. It says on the inside by the battery cover "assembled in the USA with some foreign made parts". There ya go. It is about 3 years old.
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »

My Fluke T5-600 Electrical Tester came in a box not a blister pack. It says on the inside by the battery cover "assembled in the USA with some foreign made parts". There ya go. It is about 3 years old.
You got one that didn’t come in a blister pack; must’ve been a fluke. Grin
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »

FBI,  know whatcha mean.  Funny.
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »

Seen Fluke branded meters hanging on pegs here in hardware stores here.

Went though this last year when my Beckman RMS-225 quit after 26 years of faithful service. I ended up buying a Keysight U-1241B to replace it.

Here's to you getting another quarter century out of your new meter.

I remember Beckman.  The field service techs where I worked after college carried those.  They were solid meters.  I wonder what happened to Beckman?
That Keysight 1200 series is nice.  They have quite a diversity of model functions and their computer control/logging software is free unlike Fluke's FVF.  I use a 1282 as my second meter on the bench.  It's amazing all the stuff it does.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »

Beckman... IIRC, Emerson bought them, the other side of the brand was sophisticated laboratory analysis stuff. which was sold thataway, the test equipment thisaway, and both eventually disappeared. Emerson Electric sees lots of ooh, shiny that it buys and then decides it doesn't know what to do with that outfit. so, exit stage left.
N2AYM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 05:35:11 AM »

The Fluke 77 rotary connector was weak and not robust enough.
We had 2 77's go bad this way and we had to replace both of them.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »

I had a 77 for quite a few years until the boy borrowed it, dropped it in a big rubbermaid storage box with no lid and left that outside during a rainy week. Needless to say is was shot. Replaced it with a 117 and an amp clamp combo. No blister pack and nice silicone lined leads with retractabble tips. The insulated slides are nice when trying to test in a tight spot. The 117 is not a bad meter and I use it at work all the time. The amp clamp is sitiing in my RV as it also functions as a multi meter. I have used other brands of meters but even the cheap flukes seem to last longer when used in abusive enviroments.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: