The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan 260 Cygnet Power Cable  (Read 919 times)
W9VOX

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2019, 05:31:41 AM »

I've picked up a Swan 260 Cygnet but it's missing the power cable. It has a connector that differs what is shown in the manual. Its a round five pin connector instead of the typical square one. Any idea what this connector might be?

W8RLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:42:19 AM »

A picture would be very helpful.
W9VOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 06:59:12 AM »

https://www.etsy.com/listing/678486423/1969-swan-cygnet-model-260-single?show_sold_out_detail=1

We'll see this link will work
W9VOX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:00:47 AM »

The last photo shows the back panel.

Thanks in advance for your interest.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:34:42 AM »

guess you're going to have to take off the bottom cover and trace the wires to the power transformer. that's an old-time Amphenol MIP-5 connector, try Newark for the female and hood. the switch indicates both a 12 volt inverter and a standard 120 volt feed are both accomodated. the switch likely flips the transformer primary from one source to the other.
W9VOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 04:52:13 PM »

Many thanks...
Hopefully I’ll be able to track those down.
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »

Agree that it's an Amphenol 5-pin. You should be able to make a mating cable using a 5-pin tube socket.

At first, I thought it might be original from the factory. But staring at the pictures, I think it is a well-done mod instead.  The markings for the switch at first looked factory. But maybe somebody used ink/paint in a workmanlike manner plus rub-on letters. Looks like the plug has terminals marked for AC. I presume that the other two are for DC. Looks like maybe one of them has a "+" marking. But if that's true, why the switch?

Every 260 I've seen has the rectangular Jones plug. No switch. AC or DC operation depends on how the cable is wired.

Guessing that whomever did the mod had some 5-pin sockets and plugs on hand but no Jones hardware. I still don't understand the need for the switch.

Usually, I un-modify gear when I work on it. But most of the time, the mods were made by Hammy Hambone with 2 left thumbs. I'd be tempted to leave this one alone. It looks like it was good job.

Do a recap if you can't determine if one has already been done recently.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:36:40 PM by KE4OH » Logged

73 de Steve KE4OH
W9VOX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »

I’ve read the Swan Compendium(available on the web) and it states that earliest versions  came with the 5 pin connector and the dc/ac switch. In the meantime I was able to locate and order the correct female socket.
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »

I’ve read the Swan Compendium(available on the web) and it states that earliest versions  came with the 5 pin connector and the dc/ac switch. In the meantime I was able to locate and order the correct female socket.

Well, thanks for the history lesson! I sure didn't know that.

Here in the hills of Tennessee, the old timers had a saying, which was a exclamation of surprise, that is very appropriate for this situation: "Well, I swan!"

73 de Steve KE4OH

73 de Steve KE4OH
W9VOX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »

FYI. There’s a early version 260 for sale on eBay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: