The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: contest = "antenna upgrade" hi hi  (Read 699 times)
KB8FGC

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »

Amazing what a contest can do.  I'm still using the simple random wire I mentioned in my earlier post (about something being better than nothing).  Worked a bit of the RTTY contest and was getting 599 reports from as far away as Madeira Island (CR3DX) :-)  even though I was running only 20 watts (to limit RF in the shack as the first 8 inches or so of my antenna are inside adjacent to the radio and other equipment).  

Actually, I'm very grateful as I'm sure the work was all on his end to pull out my signal.  Great fun working RTTY again as it was (and is still) my favorite digital mode.  Attached is an image of the super modest antenna that has now worked in addition to Madeira...Aruba, Costa Rica, Bonaire and many, many states...all on 40 meters (except for Costa Rica which was booming in on 20 meters one morning).  Looking forward to the 100' doublet I plan on erecting next when the weather improves a bit....

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/DJ-BWD37SFOtWUQUdnssGA.9rOoq_x8vRXProj3O092wi

(link to antenna photo)
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »

Real men only put up antennas in the dead of winter Roll Eyes

Like so many have posted before, a little wire in the right place is a great thing..   Sounds like you're having fun and that's all that counts!!!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »

These days, the standard contest report is '599' or '5NN' or its equivalent. In the late 1950s, it was always 579, but we've had inflation since then... Generally, reports received in contests should be regarded in the same category as politicians' promises.....
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:59:02 AM »

Amazing what a contest can do.  I'm still using the simple random wire I mentioned in my earlier post (about something being better than nothing).  Worked a bit of the RTTY contest and was getting 599 reports from as far away as Madeira Island (CR3DX) :-)  even though I was running only 20 watts (to limit RF in the shack as the first 8 inches or so of my antenna are inside adjacent to the radio and other equipment).  

Actually, I'm very grateful as I'm sure the work was all on his end to pull out my signal.  Great fun working RTTY again as it was (and is still) my favorite digital mode.  Attached is an image of the super modest antenna that has now worked in addition to Madeira...Aruba, Costa Rica, Bonaire and many, many states...all on 40 meters (except for Costa Rica which was booming in on 20 meters one morning).  Looking forward to the 100' doublet I plan on erecting next when the weather improves a bit....

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/DJ-BWD37SFOtWUQUdnssGA.9rOoq_x8vRXProj3O092wi

(link to antenna photo)

You had it right in your title. Get that antenna up nice and Hi. Hi Hi is even better if you can.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:11:59 AM »

Worked a bit of the RTTY contest and was getting 599 reports from as far away as Madeira Island (CR3DX)

Don't take the "signal reports" received in any contest as a reflection of how well your transmissions are being heard.

As G3RZP posted, you're unlikely to receive anything except 59 or 599, since that's the "standard" to send as part of any contest exchange that requires one.

And especially in a RTTY contest, since all that matters is that your signal is strong enough to decode.  Wink
KB8FGC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:51:26 AM »

Agree with all the comments here...I know the signal reports aren't accurate (and that the antenna needs more height)....post was a bit tongue in cheek but also a bit surprised at how well such a modest antenna is performing (surprised I'm being heard at all beyond the first hop).  Long term plans are a 100 foot low dipole with end loading for the low bands (including 160m), a low full wave loop for 80m and a quarter wave vertical for 20m (that I'll attach a wire too to use as an inverted L for 40m).  Already have most of the parts (left overs from my activity of years past), just need to get things repaired, cleaned up and put back into service come decent weather  Wink  .

Regarding dead of winter antenna construction....does it count that the random wire went up after dark in a light rain?   Cheesy
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »

Regarding dead of winter antenna construction....does it count that the random wire went up after dark in a light rain?   Cheesy

Double bonus points!
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »

Double bonus points!

Hahahaha! I fully concur!

Glad to see the OP simply having FUN with the hobby and enjoying his antenna and the contacts it has brought. That's the core of it all, enjoy, connect, and have fun!

Mike
N0TLD
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:16:51 AM »

It can be quite surprising what can be achieved with a simple antenna. Back in 1972/3, I lived in a two storey apartment atop a shop in the middle of a town. I strung out about 80 feet of wire from the upper bedroom window to a fire escape hand rail and fed it against a water pipe with a home brew tuner that cost me under 25 cents for parts..... Worked reasonably well even on 80 and 160  and one Sunday evening on 40 metres, in 45 minutes, I worked stations in UA9, W, PY, ZS, VK  and a Russian station in Antarctica R1 something. All with 100 watts and a HW101. Then walked over to the pub for a celebratory pint.....
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »

Agree with all the comments here...I know the signal reports aren't accurate (and that the antenna needs more height)....post was a bit tongue in cheek but also a bit surprised at how well such a modest antenna is performing (surprised I'm being heard at all beyond the first hop).  Long term plans are a 100 foot low dipole with end loading for the low bands (including 160m), a low full wave loop for 80m and a quarter wave vertical for 20m (that I'll attach a wire too to use as an inverted L for 40m).  Already have most of the parts (left overs from my activity of years past), just need to get things repaired, cleaned up and put back into service come decent weather  Wink  .

Now you are just showing off!! Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: