The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 9700  (Read 2092 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:31:54 PM »

It seems that the new Icom 9700 has created a huge surge of interest. Lots of pre-orders for this high performance 2/432/1296 radio.
If it is as successful as it's hf/6m twin, there will be LOTS of older VHF/UHF radios on the market.

Rob Sherwood has already sold his trusty Icom 275H in anticipation of the 9700.

He has 2 7300s.

Yes Clayton, the 9700 has the despised (by only you) touch screen.
Horror of horrors... ha ha

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »

Does anyone have a confirmed US price yet?  Based on a post on my club reflector, it would appear that the initial price is more than what has been floated here.

"....a while back, I sent a $50 deposit to DX Engineering to reserve this new rig which is now FCC approved, but decided at $2100 I won't be purchasing it....."

If that price is true, it would be a few hundred dollars more than what has been speculated based on the European price with VAT.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:54:48 PM by K3GM » Logged
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »

Does anyone have a confirmed US price yet?  Based on a post on my club reflector, it would appear that the initial price is more than what has been floated here.

"....a while back, I sent a $50 deposit to DX Engineering to reserve this new rig which is now FCC approved, but decided at $2100 I won't be purchasing it....."

If that price is true, it would be a few hundred dollars more than what has been speculated based on the European price with VAT.

Price is $2099.95 from dealers like HRO, Universal Radio, and Gigaparts. DX Engineering wants $2098.99 for it. Prices went up on web sites Friday. BTW no FCC certification is required for the IC-9700, as it only covers the 3 ham bands.

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK or http://twitter.com/WD9EWK
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »

Give R and L a look for $300 less. http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74768

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »

Give R and L a look for $300 less. http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74768
Out of stock already, but I think that price is closer to what was being discussed in previous threads.
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »

Out of stock already, but I think that price is closer to what was being discussed in previous threads.

Nobody has them in stock in the US yet, but stores are taking orders. R&L is undercutting the other stores on the price right now, but perhaps we can use that for price-matching at other stores.

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK or http://twitter.com/WD9EWK
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:30:39 PM »

There was an estimate of 05/29/2019 delivery on DX Engineering website. that might be when the dealers start getting them.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »

I was just notified by DX Engineering that I can expect my 9700 on 04/08/2019, before my taxes are due!

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »

I was just notified by DX Engineering that I can expect my 9700 on 04/08/2019, before my taxes are due!

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

Sweet. Hope you let us know what you think once you've had time to put it through its paces.
AB1XG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »

HRO called me yesterday, my 9700 came in.

I took a road trip and picked it up, though I won't be able to install it until tonight or tomorrow.

David AB1XG
N8LRG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »

Hello Everyone,

Just used the IC-9700 in the 432 Sprint. I thought I would post my thoughts on performance. I went from an FT-847 to the IC-9700. All of my usage has been mostly SSB/CW/Digital.

1. RX is exceptional. I can and see hear the difference. I am hearing beacons that were not heard before. Stations I have worked before were 3db or better on the the RX side.
2. Contest performance. Built in Voice and CW TX memories. Make or buy your keyer box and you will be pleased.
3. Dual band RX. Perfect for satellite work.
4. One USB cable and ICOM driver and you are up and running with digital or logging software. I use WSJT-X and N1MM.
5. Band Scope is nice to have but would be better to have higher bandwidth settings.
6. 10mhz  Ref in is not Phased locked but allows the radio to adjust the internal TXCO to the reference signal.

Overall I am very pleased with the radio as I did several 432 contacts over 450 miles away during the 432 Sprint(17 Grids). I am looking forward to using the abundance of features on this radio. If you are a weak signal operator, this needs to be in your ham shack.

73 Phil
N8LRG

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »

It seems that the new Icom 9700 has created a huge surge of interest. Lots of pre-orders for this high performance 2/432/1296 radio.
If it is as successful as it's hf/6m twin, there will be LOTS of older VHF/UHF radios on the market.

Rob Sherwood has already sold his trusty Icom 275H in anticipation of the 9700.

He has 2 7300s.

Yes Clayton, the 9700 has the despised (by only you) touch screen.
Horror of horrors... ha ha
Ron-N4UE

Well I am so Excited about the New 9700 that I have a KENWOOD TS-2000 on the way as my New VHF/UHF all mode base. I will continue using my ICOM 7600 for HF/6 meters. I will however be parting with my ICOM 275A,amplifier,& SM-8 with both cords. I have already read & heard about issues of frequency drift so may they be lots for those blind sheep who can't read the handwriting on the walls. Nothing like a drifting transceiver that reminds you of the good old days. ICOM is Out Of Touch & thinks they now make Cell Phones,iPads,& Laptops. LOL  Shocked Grin Cheesy Embarrassed

Clayton
W4KVW

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:08:28 PM by W4KVW » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »

Clayton, unwind those panties. What's wrong? Can't afford a 9700 or just mad because you can't figure out how to use a touch screen?

You need to move up into 2019. I'll bet your 7600 doesn't even have he waterfall update.

Too much fried chicken on those chubby digits to use a touch screen? They make screen protectors for guys like you.  Smiley

HA HA

If, and a BIG IF, you have been following any recent 9700 info, you would realize this 'drift' you are talking about is a non-issue.
Lots of folks have had extended QSOs on 70 CM and report no SSB issues.

Are you going to do moon bounce on 23 CM? I doubt it.

In addition, Icom is about to release a Firmware update to control the drift for the digital modes ….
You need to stay on 11 Meters with your D-104 collection. No moon bounce there, good buddy....10-4?

'ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »

Clayton, unwind those panties. What's wrong? Can't afford a 9700 or just mad because you can't figure out how to use a touch screen?

You need to move up into 2019. I'll bet your 7600 doesn't even have he waterfall update.

Too much fried chicken on those chubby digits to use a touch screen? They make screen protectors for guys like you.  Smiley

HA HA

If, and a BIG IF, you have been following any recent 9700 info, you would realize this 'drift' you are talking about is a non-issue.
Lots of folks have had extended QSOs on 70 CM and report no SSB issues.

Are you going to do moon bounce on 23 CM? I doubt it.

In addition, Icom is about to release a Firmware update to control the drift for the digital modes ….
You need to stay on 11 Meters with your D-104 collection. No moon bounce there, good buddy....10-4?

'ron
N4UE

Latest eHam Review of the Perfect ICOM 9700 in case you missed it. LOL  Digital Disaster Radio    Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While the other reviewers have focused on SSB and CW, if you are a digital weak signal operator you are in for a horrifying surprise. First, frequency stability with the fan running is a disaster, its all over the place.

Worse yet, the radio will NOT pass 9600 baud packet of any kind.

I spoke with ICOM this morning they are "aware" of these issues, no plan to release a solution "at this time"

If you are a weak signal guy, or digital guy do NOT sell your other radio and buy this one.

Peter
W2PP

Shame it's a NON ISSUE but I know it is difficult admitting it after being out the $2000 that you can't get back. LOL Myself & many others know the TRUTH about this Disaster for a VHF/UHF transceiver. It has issues much like you & you won't admit either but others can read the blogs & watch the YouTube videos & not take your biased reports.Have a great weekend now.  Tongue Tongue Tongue Kiss Kiss Kiss Grin Grin Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »

Peoples still use packet?   Wink
I suppose if you want to packet repeat through ISS or use some of the other satellites.

9600 baud uses straight FSK, not AFSK. So with normal FM rigs you have special I/O provisions for 9600 FSK, as the voice/mike circuits won't maintain proper signal fidelity to do AFSK. Now I suppose with that fancy FPGA doing all the heavy lifting they could have designed in the proper modulation/demod functions. I expect Icom just made the decision it wasn't worth it, having simply lifted much of the signal processing logic from their HF radios.

More 9600 tech info:
https://www.amsat.org/articles/g3ruh/109.html
ftp://ftp.tapr.org/general/9600baud/96man2x0.txt

I'm not going to make excuses for the frequency stability issue. With the popularity of weak signal JT modes these days, in normal use and EME, ICOM should have foreseen the need for better stability.

Both issues may be able to be addressed in software updates (can the FPGA be updated that way?) I expect ICOM is feeling enough lack of sales pressure to want to update for stability, but I doubt if there will be enough complaining about no packet.

It feels a little like the 9700 was rushed to market before it was time.

Jim K6JH
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: