The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamvention 2019 Xenia / Dayton  (Read 1001 times)
N9KX

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »

looks like a lot more vendors are in the reserved status than are in the confirmed status.  is this normal Hamvention behavior, and by what date will most of the vendors who are attending this year probably become confirmed?
https://info.pcboard.ca/hamvention/hamvention2019-indoor/

main website: https://hamvention.org/about/history/
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »

On further review, ARRL itself is in "Reserved" and not "Confirmed" status, so i guess that is pretty routine.  I look forward to checking out the Alpha/Dishtronix/Ten-Tec booth this year.
What vendors are others looking forward to visiting?

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:07:06 AM »

I'm looking forward to getting the latest weather/doom/mud/traffic and manure reports from a certain disgruntled member here.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:35:03 PM »

I'm looking forward to getting the latest weather/doom/mud/traffic and manure reports from a certain disgruntled member here.

Wink Smiley Cheesy

perhaps this will help the disgruntled member you mentioned above lighten up:
Don’t Cry for HARA Arena: https://youtu.be/8OKd9pV5W7U
WT4BT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »

To the  OP, Rob/N9KK,
Yep, pretty much standard for Dayton/Xenia (and most big hamfests). Seems like a lot of the major vendors wait until late to send in their $$ and confirm attendance.
But with the big shows you know most of the big name vendors will be there and pretty much everyone who was at the last year's show will be attending as well.
If you wait to book a room because you aren't sure your favorite dealer will be there, you'll be staying waaay out in left field and have to drive further just to find a parking lot.
To DARA's credit, their shuttle service was pretty good the last two years, all things considered. And their on-site "tractor and wagon" (thankfully NOT the manure spreaders) service was AOK too.
One thing to consider (for the grumpy ones): If Hamvention was held at the Dayton Convention Center everything would be dry but you'd still have to pay to park somewhere else, probably pay for a shuttle ride, and the entry ticket to the hamfest would be closer to $100 for the weekend.
Believe me, until you have had a hand in organizing a hamfest (larger than just a tailgate party) and figuring out how to make ends meet (not to mention maybe make some profit to help fund next year), you have no standing to gripe IMNSHO.  Lips sealed  Wink
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »

To DARA's credit, their shuttle service was pretty good the last two years, all things considered. And their on-site "tractor and wagon" (thankfully NOT the manure spreaders) service was AOK too.
One thing to consider (for the grumpy ones): If Hamvention was held at the Dayton Convention Center everything would be dry but you'd still have to pay to park somewhere else, probably pay for a shuttle ride, and the entry ticket to the hamfest would be closer to $100 for the weekend.
Believe me, until you have had a hand in organizing a hamfest (larger than just a tailgate party) and figuring out how to make ends meet (not to mention maybe make some profit to help fund next year), you have no standing to gripe IMNSHO.  Lips sealed  Wink

Agreed - to a point.  My ONLY complaint about the shuttle service is that they are using school buses.   School buses were fine when we were young and thin, but most of us are no longer thin.  So for dara to think that the the same amount of adult hams with bags, back-packs, etc, not to mention various purchases both large and small, can fit on a school bus as kids is far-fetched.

If dara could use the RTA buses, or buses with a bit wider seat pitch, I certainly would be grateful.

The use of the Dayton Convention Center was secretly discussed between dara and the City of Dayton as an alternate/new site if/when the hara arena was unavailable.   The plan was that the park adjacent to the convention center would be used as the flea market, and that the adjoining streets would be blocked off and secured.   

Other ideas were the University of Dayton, or even the Nutter Center.   Both are likely unavailable because of college graduations. 

One suggestion I do have, is that dara should add an entrance to the flea market from outside the track.   Since parking/shuttle bus/tractor drop off is on the other side of the fairgrounds, use some sort of "crowd fencing" to allow attendees to walk around the perimeter outside of the fairgrounds, to the track entrance.  This would allow attendees who want to walk to flea market to do so, and it may/likely reduce the entrance crowd at the current only entrance.    This would go back to the way dara opened the show at hara.   

Some profit?!?!   Sorry, if you look at dara's P&L statements for the last 20 years, they certainly are not "just making ends meet.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »

Quote from: WT4BT
Yep, pretty much standard for Dayton/Xenia (and most big hamfests). Seems like a lot of the major vendors wait until late to send in their $$ and confirm attendance.
But with the big shows you know most of the big name vendors will be there and pretty much everyone who was at the last year's show will be attending as well.
If you wait to book a room because you aren't sure your favorite dealer will be there, you'll be staying waaay out in left field and have to drive further just to find a parking lot.

i plan to be a day tripper so booking a hotel is not an issue.  i do have a questions about the shuttle service especially for Saturday:
found this map: https://hamvention.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Remote-Parking-Locations-2018-04-08-v4.pdf

1. of the 6 remote lots with shuttle service, do any fill completely up?
2. are they all served with the same amount of shuttle frequency?
3. how long is the typical time between runs from the lot to the hamfest ?

any tips or tricks for using the shuttle service? (i have no issues with riding a school bus)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:00:12 AM by N9KX » Logged
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

I have used the 1A, 1B and 2 locations (on the map) for parking during the last two years.  The school bus service was EXCELLENT, not to mention FREQUENT for all these locations.  I am sure the other remote locations should be fine, too.

Tom, KR4BD
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:50 AM »

I have used the 1A, 1B and 2 locations (on the map) for parking during the last two years.  The school bus service was EXCELLENT, not to mention FREQUENT for all these locations.  I am sure the other remote locations should be fine, too.

Tom, KR4BD

Hi Tom, tks for the reply!
i may arrive Sat. morning a bit crunched for time and just want to know what to expect, so can you explain what you mean by "frequent"?  does that mean every 20 minutes going to and from?  also, were any of the lots full?  finally, what are the chances that on-site parking would also be available Saturday mid-morning?
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »

Quote from: WT4BT

i plan to be a day tripper so booking a hotel is not an issue.  i do have a questions about the shuttle service especially for Saturday:
found this map: https://hamvention.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Remote-Parking-Locations-2018-04-08-v4.pdf

1. of the 6 remote lots with shuttle service, do any fill completely up?
2. are they all served with the same amount of shuttle frequency?
3. how long is the typical time between runs from the lot to the hamfest ?

any tips or tricks for using the shuttle service? (i have no issues with riding a school bus)

I would recommend the Xenia High School parking lot.  Easy to access, plenty of parking, closest to Hamvention (bus ride is about 5-7 minutes).  Didn't have any problems with the school buses the first year (wasn't able to attend the second). 
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »

Tom, KR4BD

Hi Tom, tks for the reply!

i may arrive Sat. morning a bit crunched for time and just want to know what to expect, so can you explain what you mean by "frequent"?  does that mean every 20 minutes going to and from?  also, were any of the lots full?  finally, what are the chances that on-site parking would also be available Saturday mid-morning?

I have never seen any of the lots (mentioned in my earlier post) that I used even close to being totally filled.  The super market and adjacent vacant car dealer have a huge number of spaces available.  The actual trips to & fro were not long.  Friday seemed to be the busiest day with Saturday being a close second.  It is wide open on Sundays.  As for frequency of service, I never had a long wait.  The school bus seats are a bit cramped, but usually there were many “open seats” on most rides.

Tom, KR4BD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: