The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously, carrying hundreds in cash in a crowd of strangers at Hamfest?  (Read 3939 times)
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »

"where I got rolled for all my cash while waiting in line for a bratwurst."
What?  The cost of the bratwurst?

Carl - W9PMZ
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 06:20:52 AM »

SOFAR:

I wear "tactical" -- a/k/a cargo -- pants.  The leg pockets above the knees have industrial-grade velcro closures are an ideal carrying place.

If you're trying to grab my "stash", you're exposing the back of your neck to edge of my hand.  And that chop will be pretty painful!

Same here.  I like to wear the '511' tac pants; very practical for a hamfest and comfortable, too.  I spread the cash around in several pockets plus the back pockets are deep and have Velcro closures to deter 'sticky' fingers.
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »

If I go to a ham fest or gun show I will pay cash, BUT, any online purchases it is PayPal all the way. I am not exposing my CC# to anyone. Paypal has it on file. Yes the seller pays a fee, but don't you think they know that? It is built into the price. As far as I am concerned, if the seller does not accept Paypal, I will not buy on line. Heck! Even Walmart on line has Paypal.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »

There is also a profit motive involved. Paypal/Venmo/Square all have fees involved with certain parts of them. Generally somewhere around 3% plus or minus. If you are buying a $500 radio, that's $15. The seller pays that. So, a seller that only takes cash can have lower, more competitive prices and potentially make more money.

Then there's the shadier tax avoidance side. There's no tracking the cash - so sales tax and income tax can be cheated on. Yet another "savings."

Not only that but you have no seller protection in a face to face transaction. Someone could open a claim and say Item not received. There's potential for unauthorized use of a hacked account as well.

Cash is King in-person and paypal online where there's proof of delivery.

-K
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 01:39:07 AM »

There is also a profit motive involved. Paypal/Venmo/Square all have fees involved with certain parts of them. Generally somewhere around 3% plus or minus. If you are buying a $500 radio, that's $15. The seller pays that. So, a seller that only takes cash can have lower, more competitive prices and potentially make more money.

Then there's the shadier tax avoidance side. There's no tracking the cash - so sales tax and income tax can be cheated on. Yet another "savings."

Not only that but you have no seller protection in a face to face transaction. Someone could open a claim and say Item not received. There's potential for unauthorized use of a hacked account as well.

Cash is King in-person and paypal online where there's proof of delivery.

-K

Actually, PayPal can be king in person as well, provided you and the seller both have cell phones.  There are other forms of e-payments that work as well, but almost everyone has PayPal.  You can do the transaction while standing there, and they can confirm a minute or less later.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »

Cash is still king at a swapfest. Plus I can spend my cash earnings from my sales with those who don't mess with Paypal or CCs at the swapfest.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »

" I am not exposing my CC# to anyone. Paypal has it on file."

Tell that to my Granddaughter. She had Paypal linked to her checking account and the checking account was linked to her credit card for overdraft protection. Somebody hacked her Paypal account and cleaned out her checking account and maxed out her credit card. Her bank straightened it out and got her money back, but she had to go a couple of weeks without access to her accounts.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »

Cash is still king at a swapfest. Plus I can spend my cash earnings from my sales with those who don't mess with Paypal or CCs at the swapfest.

Swapfest items are sold 'as is', All sales final.
Cash payment is final.
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »

" I am not exposing my CC# to anyone. Paypal has it on file."

Tell that to my Granddaughter. She had Paypal linked to her checking account and the checking account was linked to her credit card for overdraft protection. Somebody hacked her Paypal account and cleaned out her checking account and maxed out her credit card. Her bank straightened it out and got her money back, but she had to go a couple of weeks without access to her accounts.

The exact same thing happens every day without PayPal being involved in any way.  Someone gets your card number (skimmer at the ATM or gas pump, maybe, or these days, a photo of the card taken with a cell phone while you're swiping), cleans you out.  if they're subtle about it, you might not know there's a problem until the CC bill arrives, but much more likely they'll blow it up as soon as they confirm it works.

Then again, if a pickpocket manages to empty those cargo pockets in your "steal from me" pants, and makes off with ten portraits of Ben Franklin, police will just ask you "Why were you carrying so much cash around in a crowd?"  After which, you'll never see a dime of that money again.  At least if your PayPal gets hacked, or your CC skimmed, you can get the money back after some hassle.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 10:10:50 PM »

I agree. And in the event the internet is down cash still works unless they have a problem with that. If you want to steal my wallet from my front pocket good luck.  Under my dead body...
W5HEX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 04:58:34 AM »

As a seller I would never accept PayPal in person. How do you prove to PayPal that the item WAS delivered? All a buying has to do is file a PayPal claim and say the item was never received. How do you prove it was? The buyer will be getting their money back and the seller will lose. Been there....never again. Cash only.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 07:41:45 AM »

As a seller I would never accept PayPal in person. How do you prove to PayPal that the item WAS delivered? All a buying has to do is file a PayPal claim and say the item was never received. How do you prove it was? The buyer will be getting their money back and the seller will lose. Been there....never again. Cash only.

Home Depot accepts it. All you have to do is get them to sign a receipt , that shows they were there. 
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »

Home Depot accepts it. All you have to do is get them to sign a receipt , that shows they were there. 

In defense of W5HEX (never mind it's on the opposite side from my original post), Home Depot routinely takes large losses from shoplifting, spoilage, and card chargebacks; they probably wouldn't even notice if a few PayPal users disputed a charge.  OTOH, having a signed receipt (or even better a short video of the buyer acknowledging receipt) would go a long way to avoid the "automatically believe the buyer" attitude sometimes seen with online shopping and payment systems.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:53 PM »

In defense of W5HEX (never mind it's on the opposite side from my original post), Home Depot routinely takes large losses from shoplifting, spoilage, and card chargebacks; they probably wouldn't even notice if a few PayPal users disputed a charge.  OTOH, having a signed receipt (or even better a short video of the buyer acknowledging receipt) would go a long way to avoid the "automatically believe the buyer" attitude sometimes seen with online shopping and payment systems.

So much work when just giving/getting cash is easier, undisputed, and final.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »

...I have the same problem at gun shows....
Now THAT makes absolutely no sense at all.   

you're in a crowd of a thousand people, most of whom are packing, and you think you're going to get robbed? 

You need to get back under your rock and stay there.

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: