The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously, carrying hundreds in cash in a crowd of strangers at Hamfest?  (Read 3348 times)
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »

you're in a crowd of a thousand people, most of whom are packing, and you think you're going to get robbed? 

Sounds like a very fruitful field for a master pickpocket who has a place to drop his takings. Might pick up a Glock or Beretta, too...
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »

you're in a crowd of a thousand people, most of whom are packing, and you think you're going to get robbed?  

Sounds like a very fruitful field for a master pickpocket who has a place to drop his takings. Might pick up a Glock or Beretta, too...

People that carry, have a heightened sense of situational awareness.

If you ever carried, you would be aware of this. That said...

Seems to be scant interest in using/accepting Paypal at a swap meet. If I was approached by someone expounding the many benefits of accepting Paypal. I would politely ask the individual to move aside, make room for cash-paying customers.

To reiterate, Good luck with that.
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »

If you ever carried, you would be aware of this.

I carried for more than fifteen years when I lived in Seattle.  Haven't cared to jump through the hoops again since moving to North Carolina.

I know what you're talking about, but I doubt anyone who is not himself either a pickpocket or a stage magician in that line (and a good one) could detect a highly competent pickpocket at work.  Unless you're in that line, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that specific subject.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 05:56:35 AM »

As a seller I would never accept PayPal in person. How do you prove to PayPal that the item WAS delivered? All a buying has to do is file a PayPal claim and say the item was never received. How do you prove it was? The buyer will be getting their money back and the seller will lose. Been there....never again. Cash only.

Home Depot accepts it. All you have to do is get them to sign a receipt , that shows they were there. 
The next time you are in Home Depot, take a close look around, even a novice can spot some of the cameras.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »

...but I doubt anyone who is not himself either a pickpocket or a stage magician in that line (and a good one) could detect a highly competent pickpocket at work. 

Totally agree. There are some talented thieves out there.

And there's this.

https://www.hickoryrecord.com/news/man-robbed-twice-at-gun-show/article_c4326099-c685-555d-9283-237656526e93.html
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 01:44:34 AM »

IMHO if I need to carry a weapon to a HR swapfest, I will no longer attend it. Sometimes common sense has to be used. But then again I will not let the fear of what could slightly possibly happen dictate my actions. Each person needs to find that balance between cowering in the corner and brazenly flashing cash in public.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »

IMHO if I need to carry a weapon to a HR swapfest, I will no longer attend it. Sometimes common sense has to be used. But then again I will not let the fear of what could slightly possibly happen dictate my actions. Each person needs to find that balance between cowering in the corner and brazenly flashing cash in public.

And yet some people have been killed while attending a church, a synagogue or a masque. Crime or danger can find you anywhere.
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »

If you ever carried, you would be aware of this. That said...

Seems to be scant interest in using/accepting Paypal at a swap meet. If I was approached by someone expounding the many benefits of accepting Paypal. I would politely ask the individual to move aside, make room for cash-paying customers.

To reiterate, Good luck with that.

Around these parts (Texas) any weapon you carry into a gun show has to be unloaded. They check at the gate. Seems strange to me, but there ya go.

I need cheaper hobbies...
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2019, 02:19:54 AM »

Around these parts (Texas) any weapon you carry into a gun show has to be unloaded. They check at the gate. Seems strange to me, but there ya go.

Same here (NC).  Then again, go check YouTube, there are a couple videos from IraqVeteran8888 showing the half-gallon or gallon jar filled with rounds taken out of "unloaded" guns brought into a pawn shop, to sell.  I'd be very surprised if a bunch of folks with carry permits at any given show hadn't looked at that sign and said "Oh, I remember, those signs have no legal standing" and just kept walking.

K3LI

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »

Yep, you sure can use paypal aps.  And you can also get screwed out of your money big time.  It is very very easy to do.  Its the old Paypal scam, works everytime.
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »

I used to carry $20 k cash when I had a surplus business.
$600 is my max carry for a hamfest and it's gonna have to be something pretty special to get me to spend it all.
The guys I bought from,  usually scrap dealers, were seldom in good neighborhoods and preferred cash.
Never had a lick of trouble, nor did I anticipate any.
Not strangers at the hamfest. Brother hams!
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »

And in the unlikely case you get home and find out that Hallicrafters S-38 has all the correct dials and connectors, but is actually full of rocks and sticks instead of tubes and capacitors and coils and resistors, you can file a dispute against the seller at the PayPal site.

It does not work that way. Most hamfests have a table where you can test stuff from the boneyard. That said, expecting an S-38 from the boneyard to work... unless you've paid a lot to a guy who is known to restore them well... or you are buying it from someone you know well... It's not going to be 100%. So, you look to make sure it's all there, you smell it to see if the transformer is bad, you buy it for $25 plus or minus $20 or so, and you are happy that it's all there and the transformer is not bad. Otherwise, you've got no business buying an S-38 from the boneyard. There is a reason it's called a "boneyard". Do your homework, know who you are buying from, or use your knowledge and skill to steal a deal from the boneyard.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: