The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friedrichshafen HAMRADIO June 21st - June 23rd 2019  (Read 1173 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2019, 02:29:40 AM »

The annual Friedrichshafen extravaganza will be held this year from June 21st to June 23rd. Given the German capacity for organization I expect to see the usual large halls, massive flea market and fascinating trade show. Doors open at 9am each day and close at 6pm on the Friday and Saturday and 4pm on the Sunday. Tickets are 11 Euro a day or 26 Euro for a 3-day pass and parking is 5 Euro a day.

There is an extensive lecture programme, tasty catering and free access to the Maker Faire on the Saturday and Sunday.

Access to Friedrichshafen is easy from the autobahn network but drivers traveling  eastwards should note that there are extensive roadworks on roads north of the lake and a 30 kph speed limit through some of the villages (with enforcement cameras). Please also note that Thursday June 20th is a public holiday so many shops will be closed.

See you all at the show!

http://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.de/ham-en/index.php

Peter DL8OV
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:24 AM »

Less than a week to go and for those who want to attend I have some updates for you:

1) There are roadworks along the A31 highway to the north of Lake Constance that could lead to delays. If possible approach the site from the west using the A96 Autobahn or the A30.

2) The forecast is wet weather. The camp site is well drained so mud will not be an issue but stick some waterproofs in the car before you set off.

3) This will probably be the last year we see our friends from Maker Faire as the backing company has hit financial troubles. Stop by and visit, you might have fun.

4) Advance tickets and latest news can be found at https://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.com/ in English and German.

See you at the show!

Peter DL8OV
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »

3) This will probably be the last year we see our friends from Maker Faire as the backing company has hit financial troubles. Stop by and visit, you might have fun.

I read this on the Boden See Makerfaire website:
Leider kann die Maker Faire Bodensee 2019 nicht stattfinden. Eine Maker Faire benötigt eine Menge Sponsoren und davon haben wir in Friedrichshafen leider nicht genug.

So I guess 2018 was the last maker faire in Friedrichshafen (for now hopefully)

Mostly (low power) digi contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
www.on5mf.be
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 05:27:52 AM »

Any reports from Friedrichshafen?  How was it?
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 12:31:45 PM »

Some folk have no patience Smiley

I've done lots of reviews of the Friedrichshafen event over the years and, to be honest, not a lot changes because it's a well run event that works well. So, off we go.

Firstly, the weather. I did warn you that rain was forecast and I wasn't wrong. I arrived on the Thursday during rain, it rained on and off through Friday and Saturday and decent weather only appeared on the Sunday. Despite this the camping ground coped well and although there were a few puddles they were easy to avoid.

A few retailers were missing this year including Donau Electronics who used to provide some useful stuff. Other stands were moved around with, for example, the RSGB now closer to the center of the hall. It was busy on the Friday and amazingly crowded on the Saturday with some stands such as Elecraft five deep.

The flea market was up to the usual standard and I managed to find about two thirds of the items on my shopping list. I spotted lots of familiar faces on the flea market stalls and, as usual, it took me most of the day to cover both of the halls. Most stall holders were prepared to bargain but transceivers and test equipment were on sale for prices that were way too high. Why pay 275 Euro for a signal generator that is for sale at 150 Euro on Ebay?

The Maker Faire was cancelled and the hall on the other side of the grassed area was empty. This is a shame because they were an interesting group of folk with wide ranging skills (not all of them technical). Another thing that was missing was the small farm on the edge of the camp ground. Sometime over the last 12 months it was demolished and the space has been used to extend the camp ground.

Food was up to the usual high standard, tasty and in large quantities, but one restaurant was closed for renovation. The stall selling apple cake was also absent which is a shame because I was a dedicated consumer Smiley

The ham spirit was however lacking in some. On the Sunday morning I suggested to the East European ham camping next to me that we should tie a drying line between our two cars to help dry the tents. "No, not possible" was the immediate reply but a passing Italian ham heard the conversation and decided to help. We went home with dry camping equipment but the other fellow probably had problems.

Other highlights?

On my trip around the flea market I saw a massive reel of copper wire. A couple of hours later it was in the arms of a young man who could only just carry his purchase. I asked him what he was going to do with the wire and he replied "make a REALLY BIG magnet".

The lineup of Collins gear on one stand, there must have been seven or eight pieces of gear and all in mint condition.

And finally........

The full bag of ham radio parts that will be enough to keep me active until next year's show.

See you next year!!

Peter DL8OV
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 01:05:51 PM »

Thanks for the report.  My buddy mans the MF-Runde booth there and reported a great time.  It's on my list of things to do.
KA4ETV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:05:32 AM »

Wow this sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I could attend!
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »

For me, combining ham radio with camping is always a good time.
But the likelihood of me getting to Germany is pretty low.

I think I need to try a camping weekend for my next trip to Hamvention though.
That could be a lot of fun. Definitely something to think about.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »

I was in FN for the third year in a row. Actually, to me the weather this year was overall, not bad. I also attended the Bavarian Contest Club dinner on Friday evening next to the Bodensee and it was very pleasant.
As far as the venue for the "Ham Radio" event...the all-indoors setup to me is great compared to many outdoor "fairground" hot and muddy locations of some US hamfests. I'm partial in that I love German food, so eating Schnitzel, a pretzel, and a cold one sitting in the outside area was especially enjoyable. There's even a Kindergarten in the facility should you bring your kid.
Many of the items for sale in the flea market area are things that you simply don't see at US hamfests...eastern European equipment, European (and Soviet) equipment and parts. Very interesting. There is a plethora of HV doorknob-style capacitors. Don't know why so many.
Having to pack whatever I might buy into my luggage (with it's weight restrictions) is limiting, but was not a problem for me; I didn't see anything large and heavy that I wanted to buy anyway (OK, I did some cool mil. surplus stuff but no room left at home.)
The international ham club area is very interesting and many even provide samples of food from their home countries.
I have attended the event on both Friday and Saturday. Sunday for me is the day to leave (as many do in Dayton (sorry, Xenia).)
Last and certainly not least, Friedrichshafen was an opportunity to speak with hams (especially DL, PA, and lots of VKs) in person with whom I've had QSOs. There seems to have been a particularly large contingent from VK6 land.
There are lots of local hotels at reasonable prices as well. Most people from the USA seem to fly into Zurich, which is the closest major airport.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: