The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Receiver ??  (Read 1425 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2019, 02:56:34 AM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I posted this elsewhere but this is probably the better location.

Remote Receiver ?

Excuse my ignorance but I at least admit it. (Huh)

A broad question.

RFI noise is now a disease almost everywhere. I have a friend in a condo type apartment where the noise is TERRIBLE. I think it makes all amateur radio useless. (at least up through HF) Even at 30 mhz terrible.

Wired smoke alarm systems. Cable TV. etc.

If only one could stick some kind of antenna a distance beyond the apartments the noise would almost cease. (of coarse antenna issues in condo situation but at night time maybe.)  BUT even with shielded coax antenna lead ,etc. etc. does not the RFI still get into the radio ? hmmm  can't shield the whole radio...(Huh)

Remote Antennas ? Computer Control of a transceiver just for receive and the 'sound' fed back to a radio in the apartment at somewhere VHF/UHF, etc.

Many Many must have this impossible problem. A transceiver sitting in a car could be where it is almost noise free.

You can't work them if you can't hear them.

At least I'm trying to think.  (maybe)

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »

WiFi can be extended pretty far https://www.cnet.com/news/new-wi-fi-distance-record-382-kilometers/

If you had a computer in the vehicle you could talk to it via WiFi and have voip and control of the radio. A remote view software like Splashtop allows for remote use of another computer and my experience with it has been positive. I've not tried it with a remote rig however.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »

Been away.

Thanks for reply. I will research the suggestions.

It gets worse all the time (QRN) and hopefully somebody figures out some simple way to operate. Drive your car down the road and speaker busting noise even at 30 mhz.

Noise where you live.

Hey...the car is parked in a nice radio-quiet location.... If it was set up for mobile VHF.UHF and even HF (of coarse to limited extent) maybe there is some possibility there while existing in your noise apartment/condo.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »

Some hams have used nearby web SDRs to listen for signals beneath their noise levels, and then make contacts.  Be nice if web SDRs were set up outside of major urban areas, so the many city hams plagued by high noise levels could still operate.  I actually heard some talk of sending web SDRs into orbit!  That could open up a myriad of possibilities.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »

Sounds wonderful. I guess everything will be SDR upcoming but I am still mixed up and ignorant. A money sinkhole. Hear about some bargain SDR and their website and it seems they always change and now are making their fortunes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: