The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variable speed pool pump? The "machine transmitter" is back!  (Read 2506 times)
AB6RF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »

The variable speed motor controllers are strong sources of EMI, almost regardless of the manufacturer or the appliance they are used in.
I get very distinct harmonic spurious emissions from our washing machine and from the two-stage HVAC unit.
The HVAC blower motor makes worst noise on 15m, washing machine is worst on 40m   :-)
KF9BD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »

How does one install an EMI/RFI filter?  I have a refrigerator that is a major noise source and would like to install an EMI/RFI filter.  I have reviewed the schematic on the referenced filter and it appears one would connect the three wires from the power cord to the three spade side of the filter case (hot to "P" power, ground to neutral, green to "E" ground), then, on the other side of the filter connect the "P" power to the hot to the power supply and the "N" to the ground?

Also, rather than install the filter directly into the system, could one construct a filtered multi-outlet by installing the filter into a double-ganged electrical box along with an standard outlet?  That would potentially make a portable filtered outlet, similar to those manufactured by Tripp Lite, only with much greater filtering capability.

Thanks for your input/advise.

Regards,

Danny
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »

That would be a workable solution, Danny. Keep your ferrite chokes on the cord in place as well.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KF9BD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:02:26 AM »

That would be a workable solution, Danny. Keep your ferrite chokes on the cord in place as well.

- Glenn W9IQ

Glenn, is my description of the wiring correct?  I have never installed such a filter device and want to ensure I don't mess the wiring up.

Danny
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »

Glenn, is my description of the wiring correct?  I have never installed such a filter device and want to ensure I don't mess the wiring up.
Danny

Danny,

If you are using the FN2060 series, here is their wiring diagram:

The refrigerator connects to the right side, labeled as load. The black wire / brass screw of the outlet goes to P'. The white wire / silver screw of the outlet goes to N'. The green wire / green screw of the outlet goes to PE on the left side of the diagram.

The branch circuit powering the refrigerator connects to the left side, labeled as line. The black wire goes to P. The white wire goes to N. The green wire goes to PE.

You will have two connections to PE. One from the refrigerator and one from the branch circuit. When you have it all connected and before plugging in the refrigerator, it is a good idea to confirm the wiring by plugging in an outlet tester such as this:

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KF9BD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »

Very clear.

Thanks Glenn.

Regards,

Danny
K4XRF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 01:06:05 PM »

Well, I ordered a 20A EMC filter and installed it today. I also put a shielded cable between the filter and the pump, and grounded it all of course.
Guess what - the problem is gone. From S7 noise on 20 meter I am back to my "normal" S3 noise level on 20 meter, regardless if the pump runs or not, and regardless of selected RPM.
I have tried to attach a photo of the filter, but that does not seem to work here. So I will give you the credentials instead. Manufacturer: Schaffner. Model: FN2060-20-06
Prices vary wildly; the lowest price I could find was $25 (plus shipping)

73s, Luke AC5XP

Luke - is your pump 230V (single phase)?  If so, exactly how did you wire the Schaffner EMC filter to the pump?
K0UO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »

Variable speed motors on HVAC units and pools pumps render ham radio useless, you got to make a choice$$$$$$
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: