The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna restictions and HOA  (Read 1685 times)
WV8P

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »

Recently moved from 1.5 acre parcel to a condo. Yuck, not even allowed a flag pole unless on the front of garage.
After adding a attic to the garage I game up with an idea. I put the antenna in the attic. 131ft in a loop. Loop circumferences the unit and exits in the motor room. Good ground and plenty of space for cables. Put a hole in the wall to study for the radios.Much better then nothing and have been on QRP as well as 100w. Best contact was France.
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »

Sounds good, 131 feet ought to get you on 40M with a tuner maybe lower. If you split the loop by means of a remote switch so the two sides are equal you could be on 80M. Feed it with ladder line and a good tuner much is possible. A definite like for the idea.
Rob
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:20:23 AM »

Loops can be a great solution in antenna restricted communities!  Wink
WY7CHY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:42:22 PM »

Loops are one of the greatest antennas there are. But WHY put a loop in the garage attic. Why not put the loop around the perimeter of your house. You'll get more wire up; less obstructions and interference.

NO, a loop doesn't have to be high in the air like a dipole. And it doesn't have to be exactly a certain length. It can be up to 25% shorter than the formula and with a tuner, work fine. Simply get the same color wire as that of the trim of your house. Chances are, your trim is white. Simply attach some 14-16 gauge wire to the trim of your house and follow the entire perimeter. Including the garage. My loop is 10 sided, hour glass shape, 240 feet, follows the trim of my single story house. You can staple it or attach it any way you want to the top of the trim. And if you don't plan on using an amplifier, you can put up 18-22 gauge wire. But attached to the trim, no one will ever see it.

With mine, I've made contacts on all bands 80m-10m. I've made contacts all over the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, Pacific-Hawaii, Europe, Eastern Europe, and Russia and lithuania.

Born Wild - Raised Proud: 73
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: