The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Mic and EQing  (Read 1679 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »

Lots of hams are old and have no low end auditory perception.

I use a stack of a RE20 or SM7B into a Valley 401, or Symetrix mic processor into a Studio Dominator into a Orban Optimod and still have the occasional complaint from a deaf ham that my audio sounds muddy.

I can't fix deaf. My audio is flat out to whatever I want it to be up to 10kHz. Still get complaints from some who can't hear the spectrum or have their receiver set to narrow.
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »

You've gone much more hi-tech than I planned. I use Behringer and DBX. I was thinking of a RE20 to replace my PR780 but I'm not looking at sounding like a broadcast station. I've read the reviews on the SM7B and tend to lean towards the RE20, although the XLR arrangement is nice on the SM7B. I just want good, clear audio that I can quickly narrow during a pile-up. I don't understand getting ones audio 'flat' when people have dynamic voices. I don't own a spectrum analyzer for audio (I have a service monitor for my repeaters). I've only had one bad audio report and that was from the late Art Bell. But he didn't tell me what he was seeing on HIS SA.

My main radio is a Yaesu FT2000 that has a built-in parametric EQ that I've set using articles discussing settings. I get good reports mostly. Using the software one can save three profiles. Tag Chew, DX and one extra. Although I've done stage, sound and lighting I've not done recording or broadcast. The most I've ever done is used a DBX to white noise and pink the room for feedback.

I also think my FT2K is DEAF! Even with a SteppIR. It talks well and we sometimes play a game with our power where we drop it until we can no longer hear ourselves on the Erie, PA remote receiver on Echolink. Whoever can be hear last wins. We're mostly in the western states. LOL. We set out to prove that 1.5KW isn't the end all, be all.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 05:31:22 AM »

No expensive Heil mics required. I and a lot of hams use a $20 Behringer XM8500.
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »

Glenn and Dave gave you some sound advice earlier, in terms of starting points for setting up your own audio using local and remote monitoring.  While I would not necessarily go to something like a D104 crystal mic peaky response, years of experiment by the pioneers of SSB showed that, for best intelligibility around the noise threshold in a <3 kHz channel,  you'll likely do better with suppressed bass and emphasised 1-2 kHz spectral band.  You can achieve that a number of ways but, in general, it's not overly critical.  The main thing is to appreciate that you're starting out with very different aims to hifi: a flat response is almost certainly not what you want.  If you're picky, you might have two profiles available: one for (e.g.) 80 m rag chewing and another for DX.

Regarding hearing acuity, it's almost always the high end that goes first and most older hams will have no trouble with bass sounds and even the highs within a 3-4 kHz channel.

I noticed when I returned to ham radio a few years ago that a lot of people seemed to be unaware of the advantages of the 'DX' response, instead setting their transmit response to be perpetually 'woofy' : far too much bass.  I enjoy ocasionally running my classic Collins S-line with a variety of audio feeds designed to show what good, narrowband SSB should sound like.  But you can achieve the same result with most equipment and, indeed, most of the time I run just a Kenwood MC90, with the low-bass acoustic head and some very moderate analog bass cut/treble boost equalisation in the audio rack.  This gets distributed to all radios, old and new.

Do yourself a favour and get a decent high impedance communications dynamic mic to go with your classic radio and you'll likely be surprised at the result, which could serve as a starting point for your experiments.

73, Peter.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:40:39 PM by VK6HP » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: