The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shame, shame, shame Kenwood  (Read 4101 times)
N2SUB

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2019, 03:56:18 PM »

I got a little bonus in January and decided to buy a TH-D72A and work the FM satellites.  I received the unit early February, and messed around with the APRS features, but never could get digipeated.  Pilot error, I assumed, because I've never used APRS.  I put the rig back in the box and waited for it to warm up outside.  Last Friday I decided to try to work SO-50.  I pulled the TH-D72A out of the shack for the first time, and as a test I tried to hit a local repeater from my back yard.  Nothing.  I tried it with my chinese radio, and got right in. I checked and double-checked everything until it occurred to me that the HT might not be putting out power.  The rig showed full scale on the PO meter, and the LED illuminated, but sure enough it didn't move the needle on a watt meter...the chinese radio did, so the meter is good.  Now we know why I never got digipeated; nobody heard me.

I contacted the retailed who said they are not authorized to accepted a return on a DOA radio after 10 days.  I contacted Kenwood and received a somewhat terse email directing me to send it to the repair center.  So the bottom line is, I spent $400 on a radio, and now I have to spend more money to send it in and wait to  have it repaired before I've made a single contact with it.  And the sad part is, nobody at Kenwood or the retailer seemed to care that there was a hard failure on a brand new unit.  No curiosity at all....just send it in and we'll fix it.  I don't want it fixed....I want a new unit that works.  That's what I paid for.

This isn't a broken knob or a scratched display, this is a hard failure of a radio that by all appearances was working, and Kenwood won't replace the unit because I've had it for over 10 days.  I call BS.....stand by your stuff or drop your amateur radio division Kenwood.  I will NEVER buy another Kenwood, NOT because of the defective unit (stuff happens, I get it), but because of how they handled the incident.  What a colossal disappointment, not to mention a huge waste of money.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »

How long have you had it before you noticed the issue? IOW, you said it was after 10 days, but you did not say exactly how long ago you purchased it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:33:29 PM by N4NYY » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »

OK. I misread  and say you got it early Feb. Unit is 1 month old.

It's common to have consumers pay shipping to the repair facility, and to have the vendor pay for the shipping for the return of the repair item. I understand your frustration, but it is after the 10 days period which Ham dealers allow for exchange for defective units, so the dealer has done nothing wrong. As far as Kenwood, they are honoring the warranty with you having to pay for shipping to their facility. So I am not sure why you think it is unfair. As far as exchanging the unit for a new one, there is no way they can make that promise without even looking at the unit. For all they now, they unit could come from a smoking home and have scratches with no box or packing. They would likely have to make that call when they have the unit in hand. I think you have to understand that a unit that was received 1 month ago, you played with it, put it back in the box, and took it out 1 month later, does not qualify as "brand new".

So, my recommendation is to pay the shipping to the repair facility. And then go from there. Once they have it in hand and they can actually see what they are dealing with, then you can complain to them about replacing it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:38:35 PM by N4NYY » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 04:38:41 AM »

I got a little bonus in January and decided to buy a TH-D72A and work the FM satellites.  I received the unit early February, and messed around with the APRS features, but never could get digipeated.  Pilot error, I assumed, because I've never used APRS.  I put the rig back in the box and waited for it to warm up outside.  Last Friday I decided to try to work SO-50.  I pulled the TH-D72A out of the shack for the first time, and as a test I tried to hit a local repeater from my back yard.  Nothing.  I tried it with my chinese radio, and got right in. I checked and double-checked everything until it occurred to me that the HT might not be putting out power.  The rig showed full scale on the PO meter, and the LED illuminated, but sure enough it didn't move the needle on a watt meter...the chinese radio did, so the meter is good.  Now we know why I never got digipeated; nobody heard me.

I contacted the retailed who said they are not authorized to accepted a return on a DOA radio after 10 days.  I contacted Kenwood and received a somewhat terse email directing me to send it to the repair center.  So the bottom line is, I spent $400 on a radio, and now I have to spend more money to send it in and wait to  have it repaired before I've made a single contact with it.  And the sad part is, nobody at Kenwood or the retailer seemed to care that there was a hard failure on a brand new unit.  No curiosity at all....just send it in and we'll fix it.  I don't want it fixed....I want a new unit that works.  That's what I paid for.

This isn't a broken knob or a scratched display, this is a hard failure of a radio that by all appearances was working, and Kenwood won't replace the unit because I've had it for over 10 days.  I call BS.....stand by your stuff or drop your amateur radio division Kenwood.  I will NEVER buy another Kenwood, NOT because of the defective unit (stuff happens, I get it), but because of how they handled the incident.  What a colossal disappointment, not to mention a huge waste of money.

Enough with the drama.
The 10 day policy is perfectly reasonable.
You chose to put the radio back in the box, (without getting a signal report on both bands?) and test it at your convenience.

So you have to go through the standard warranty process. Expecting an exchange a month later is a bit much.

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 05:33:57 AM »

I received the unit early February, and messed around with the APRS features, but never could get digipeated.  Pilot error, I assumed, because I've never used APRS.  I put the rig back in the box and waited for it to warm up outside.  ...

You should have checked it out fully the day you got it or the next day. I've never purchased something high-value, be it toaster oven or radio, without fully checking it out in the coming days right after I got it.

Lesson learned unfortunately.  Undecided

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
N2SUB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 07:56:44 AM »

Guess you're all right.  I should have detected a problem that's not visible within the first 10 days.....oh wait.  I work 2 jobs and really only have time to play radio for a few hours a week.  This is perhaps the most complex radio I've ever owned, so much so that the manual is a CD.  I received the unit on a Monday.  So realistically, within the first 10 days I'd have maybe 4 hours to spend with it.  For your average working ham, 10 days is not long enough to completely go over a radio this complex. 

But yeah, lesson learned.  I'll get back to you on that one.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »

Just send it back and go from there.
N2SUB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »

The vendor has agreed to return the purchase price.  They have remained nameless because I to give them the chance to make it right, and the did.  There are consumer protection laws in play....Kenwood does not have the right to put the screws to the retailers and ultimately to us.

Of course the retailer want's to end our relationship, but I'm used to being black balled.  I actually kind of expect it these days.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 02:41:26 PM »

The vendor has agreed to return the purchase price.  They have remained nameless because I to give them the chance to make it right, and the did.  There are consumer protection laws in play....Kenwood does not have the right to put the screws to the retailers and ultimately to us.

Of course the retailer want's to end our relationship, but I'm used to being black balled.  I actually kind of expect it these days.

The consumer protection laws is called a warranty. You have not shown any proof that they did you wrong. And if the retailer wants to end your relationship, it's likely because this is a common practice with you. Saying you are used to being black-balled, is not something I would brag about.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 12:56:30 PM »

I understand what you went through. Back in 2015 I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 cell phone. It worked fine for about 1 month, then the camera wouldn't focus. I took it back to AT&T. They gave me a box to send it back to Samsung. When they received the phone, they sent an email saying it was received in great condition, and confirmed I didn't do anything to damage it. They send me another phone which is a refurbished one. I talked to them about it,and they said,"You had it too long to get a new phone. " But you sold me a defective phone, which you admit, right? And it didn't start acting up until I had it 1 month. Which again wasn't my fault. I payed for a new phone, that's what I should have. I just had to replace that refurbished phone. I completely understand how you feel, believe me. I'M glad they made it right for you.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »

I understand what you went through. Back in 2015 I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 cell phone. It worked fine for about 1 month, then the camera wouldn't focus. I took it back to AT&T. They gave me a box to send it back to Samsung. When they received the phone, they sent an email saying it was received in great condition, and confirmed I didn't do anything to damage it. They send me another phone which is a refurbished one. I talked to them about it,and they said,"You had it too long to get a new phone. " But you sold me a defective phone, which you admit, right? And it didn't start acting up until I had it 1 month. Which again wasn't my fault. I payed for a new phone, that's what I should have. I just had to replace that refurbished phone. I completely understand how you feel, believe me. I'M glad they made it right for you.

I'm not sure I understand your logic.  After a month, was your phone still new?  I'm not talking about looking like new, I'm talking about brand new, out of the box new - like you wanted the replacement to be.  Was there anything wrong with the refurbished phone?  I've gotten refurbished items before and with one exception, I couldn't tell the difference.  As long as the item we are returned with one that is in the same condition (except for being broken of course), why should we expect a new replacement?  Every warranty you read will say words to the effect of "replace or repair", but I don't remember reading anywhere the replacement would be new and unused.  Yes, it's nice when a manufacturer replaces an used item with a brand new one, but why should we expect them to?
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 11:10:02 PM »

I have sympathy for N2SUB. A radio should work when you get it and if it fails within say 90 days, getting a new replacement seems reasonable. It is very easy to destroy your reputation by delivering a new radio that doesn't work and then after only 10 days saying the customer has to pay shipping etc. I am glad he got his money back but Kenwood should consider a longer "no questions asked" warranty. Customers can be hard to get and are easy to lose. I do have a TS-870s and I like Kenwood products. The best retail people to deal with are the folks at Costco. If there is a problem they fix it, and then you get a survey to determine if you the customer are completely satisfied. Needless to say they are a very successful company.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »

I'm used to being black balled.  I actually kind of expect it these days.

Somehow that doesn’t surprise me.  (-:
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »

but Kenwood should consider a longer "no questions asked" warranty.

That is ridiculous. "No questions asked" is a open ticket for any ham to do whatever he wants to the radio, and them return it when he screws it up. Not to mention if he is a smoker, then he gets to stink the radio up, and then return a broken smelly radio.

The problem is that hams are the cheapest, most OCD people I have ever seen. The 10 day exchange warranty is more than reasonable, as is the 1 year "ship to factory warranty". Paying the shipping to the repair facility is normal for most any consumer goods.

The poster had mentioned that he has been blacklisted before, meaning he may be a serial returner. There was another ham on another thread on how before he even purchased a radio, said he had negotiated a 30 day return, in case he was not satisfied with the radio. More hogwash.

The bottom line is this. These posts are always testing and questioning the integrity of the main ham radio vendors and retailers. Who the hell is questioning hams' integrity?

Send the radio back, and per the warranty stated at the retailer and from the vendor. Pay the shipping, and get over it. We are not any more special than any non-ham consumer.
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 02:45:20 PM »

I side with kenwood. How do they know you didn't drop it or open it up and apply a golden ham screwdriver. No thats never happened..... just return it for repair. I'm disappointed you pulled this bs on a dealer knowing it was outside of the 10 day period. Your bad you should have checked it better if you even thought you had an issue. I work 3 jobs. I still could have returned it if was bad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: