The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shame, shame, shame Kenwood  (Read 4108 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »

Just like a car, a radio is no longer "new" once it goes out the dealers door. Your lucky to get an exchange in the first 10 days. They don't do that with cars (mostly).

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 01:44:35 PM »

I agree with SUB. That's why people buy Chinese radios. Since he couldn't get the Kenwood to work the first time, it was likely bad from the get go. He confirmed it was junk when he tried it a second time. The big boys feel they have the amateur radio community in their pockets while the Chinese are just beating them up. I have a Baofeng HT and a TYT dual band mobile. Both work as advertised. I have a Kenwood mobile that died 5 months after I installed it in the car. I got the TYT for less than the shipping and repair on the Kenwood. Guess what's the car and what's in the parts bin?
N1OEY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »

I agree with your experience. I worked for Apple for over twelve years before retiring and Apple had a policy called "Failed on first use". That meant that no matter how long ago you bought the hardware if you called us and said "I've never tried to do this but it failed when I tried".  Within reason Apple would either replace or authorize a repair even if the hardware was out of warranty let alone still in warranty.

Kenwood's stand behind thier hardware isn't inspiring.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »

I agree with your experience. I worked for Apple for over twelve years before retiring and Apple had a policy called "Failed on first use". That meant that no matter how long ago you bought the hardware if you called us and said "I've never tried to do this but it failed when I tried".  Within reason Apple would either replace or authorize a repair even if the hardware was out of warranty let alone still in warranty.

Kenwood's stand behind thier hardware isn't inspiring.

Apple and Kenwood are 2 totally different worlds. One is a mass computer manufacturer that likely pays pennies for parts because of the vast quantities. Kenwood amateur radios are sold in much much lower quantities and are much more difficult to assemble than PC or a phone.

Kenwood's warranty is perfectly fine. You cannot expect Kenwood to offer warranties or exchanges with sight-unseen equipment, which is what this is all about. Also, I am sure that Kenwood is perfectly aware that the Ham Radio crowd, may be the most dishonest crowd in any consumer market.

The bottom line is that the ham waited a month to test his equipment. When it didn't work, it's all of a sudden Kenwood's fault. And working 22 hours a day, 7 days a week, and lack of time, is not Kenwood's problem.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:51:39 PM by N4NYY » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »

I think you abused the good will of both the dealer and Kenwood.

They are not responsible for your personal life.  You could have downloaded the manual online before you bought the HT (poor argument).

Kenwood gave you fair dealing by honoring their standard warranty service.

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 07:42:07 AM »

So the dealer finally gives in to his demands, gives him his money back, and passes the cost on to the patsies that play by the rules via higher prices.   From the ops comments he has done this before and probably gets away with it.  That’s the bottom line to him I guess.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:57:19 AM by WB4IVF » Logged
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 08:44:28 PM »

So the dealer finally gives in to his demands, gives him his money back, and passes the cost on to the patsies that play by the rules via higher prices.   From the ops comments he has done this before and probably gets away with it.  That’s the bottom line to him I guess.

Yep, makes it hard on the rest of us.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »

He filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to get his refund:

https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/tallmadge/profile/radio-communication-equipment-and-systems/dx-engineering-0272-90021397/complaints

“I received a Kenwood TH-D72A amateur radio. The radio does not transmit power, although the specifications indicate up to 5 watts of output power. As a result, the radio is useless. It has a hardware fault that is invisible to the user, and detected only after the unit is connected to a meter to measure output power. The business claims that since the problem was not detected within the first 10 days, the new radio must be sent to a repair shop to have the defect repaired. My contention is that the unit should be replaced with as new one since it did not work from day 1, but the fault was internal and not visible in any way to the user. I paid for a new radio, and will be getting a used/refurbished radio if I am forced to send it in for repair. The TH-D72A is a 2-way radio, and I have neither been able to make a single contact with it, nor will I be able to ever make a contact in it's current state.”
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:50:04 PM by WB4IVF » Logged
N1FMV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »

I think Kenwood is being unfairly slapped around here. They did agree to honor their warranty and repair the unit, didn’t they? I think the OP’s beef is with the retailers return policy. Having been on the other side of the retail counter I can tell you that a customer has to be the absolute worst schemer to ever get onto the persona non grata list. In a case like this the retailer makes things “better” by giving the person their money back and then that cost is passed along to the rest of us. It is sort of like all of those white-haired little ladies that hang out in fast food joints and cause a scene because they claim they got 49 French fries instead of 50 in their value meal and then get their money back from the manager only to be back next Wednesday after their bridge club to do the same thing again. Also the comparison of a ham radio retailer and a major big box store like Costco or Walmart is really apples and oranges. In the case of large retailers they have enough clout that in order for them to carry a brand’s products that brand has to agree to take any and all returns the big box shoves at them. The result is that the big box can look as if it has a very liberal and caring return policy. In reality it doesn’t matter since that “all returns accepted” cost is still passed along to us.

N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 03:35:45 AM »

N2SUB you dinged them to the BBB? REALLY??

Do you even have the slightest clue what you just did to this retailer? The BBB is a PAY to join organization that uses strong arm tactics LIKE PUBLISHING THIS POLISHED TURD ONLINE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Someone did this to me for $4 worth of parts on a $35 sale. AFTER I refunded the entire amount.

I would never ever pay to join an organization that does this. But now sadly these guys will have a ding that is easily searchable online just searching for their company name. It's there forever. It will cost them thousands in lost business because of your childish little rant.

A used radio. YOU USED IT. They offered to repair it. YOU REFUSED.

You have got to be kidding me............
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 03:48:00 AM »

I fail to see how this is Kenwood's fault in any way. I fail to see how this is the retailer's fault in any way.

It's YOUR fault, plain and simple. You feel entitled, and that feeling results in being a jerk to anyone unlucky enough to have you as a customer.

And thanks for dragging the retailer through the mud with the BBB, that was so considerate and wise, and so good for ham radio. Not.

I know you haven't mentioned the retailer's name here, but I wish I knew who it was, so I could get my next radio gear purchase from them just to support them 'blackballing' you and putting up with your b.s. rant. And yeah... being used to getting blackballed tells us all we need to know about what kind of a customer you are.

I think the mods should delete this whole thread to remove your needless accusations.

How self-centered and inconsiderate (to say the least) can a person be? Cripes.

Mike
N0TLD
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 03:50:12 AM by N0TLD » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 04:14:29 AM »

I know you haven't mentioned the retailer's name here, but I wish I knew who it was, so I could get my next radio gear purchase from them just to support them 'blackballing' you and putting up with your b.s. rant. And yeah... being used to getting blackballed tells us all we need to know about what kind of a customer you are.

Mike
N0TLD

On the BBB site listed, the retailer was DX Engineering, who as anyone who uses this forum knows, has a sterling reputation for customer service and is number one in my book. In addition, the complaint filed shows it was solved to his satisfaction.  Still, it's like asking someone in a crowded room if they are still beating their wife.  I agree with everyone on this thread that it is pretty evident as to why the OP has been blackballed by numerous retailers.

Nor do I agree that this thread should be erased.  It should be left in testament to what kind of person the OP is. 
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 05:21:13 AM »

WOW! WHAT A MESS !
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »

N2SUB you dinged them to the BBB? REALLY??

Do you even have the slightest clue what you just did to this retailer? The BBB is a PAY to join organization that uses strong arm tactics LIKE PUBLISHING THIS POLISHED TURD ONLINE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Someone did this to me for $4 worth of parts on a $35 sale. AFTER I refunded the entire amount.

I would never ever pay to join an organization that does this. But now sadly these guys will have a ding that is easily searchable online just searching for their company name. It's there forever. It will cost them thousands in lost business because of your childish little rant.

A used radio. YOU USED IT. They offered to repair it. YOU REFUSED.

You have got to be kidding me............

That is just moronic. It's not like they are not honoring the warranty. He just believes he can make up the warranty terms as he sees fit. I hope Kenwood does not bend. He is just an ass.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »

Mike
N0TLD

On the BBB site listed, the retailer was DX Engineering, who as anyone who uses this forum knows, has a sterling reputation for customer service and is number one in my book. In addition, the complaint filed shows it was solved to his satisfaction.  Still, it's like asking someone in a crowded room if they are still beating their wife.  I agree with everyone on this thread that it is pretty evident as to why the OP has been blackballed by numerous retailers.

Nor do I agree that this thread should be erased.  It should be left in testament to what kind of person the OP is. 

Hello Fellow OCD'ers I too am BANNED from DXE...Ask W5OV if you don't believe me.

But I must say DXE goes above and beyond the call for exchanges as I can surely testify.

I had a faulty AL80B that was MONTHS from purchased date from DXE and they exchanged it.
I drove out there and got a new one which I still have. DXE does indeed go beyond the call
and I say this being banned from DXE. 

Personally, the best of the best places. IMO, is HRO Woodbridge. Steve knows and
puts up with me for years. I was never banned from HRO for YEARS when it took
DXE mere months:)

I really don’t care, obviously, least I would have never posted this.

But YES DXE via W5OV isn’t shy on banning hams who are like old women
and gossip like wide fire. Ten Tec used to ban too, look at them today.

So now you have an other point of view, a TRUE one.

K3EY

N2SUB: Keep beating those drums, we hear you!

PS: On another thread I told how I was screamed at
by a real jerk at DXE, that is TRUE too.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: