The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civil defense film,2 way radio spotted  (Read 654 times)
KC6RWI

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:43:21 AM »

I was watching a Civil Defense film about all the supplies needed after attack in an underground shelter.  Besides a telephone in the underground shelter they show the need for a battery operated 2 way radio and it is seen a few times in the film at 2.28 and 5.34. I have a small cd kit to monitor radiation just like in the film, I just bought the 2 tiny books that tell the user how to interpret the readings and what to do.  I don't know but just from this film the whole CD bunker idea seems a little short sighted, I would think alot more supplies would be needed and what about waste disposal for dozens of people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvtQFlwa_l4
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:47:48 AM by KC6RWI » Logged
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »

Back in the 1950s, the assumption was that you'd only need to stay holed up for a couple weeks, before it would be safe to leave local or individual shelters for evacuation to "safe" zones.  This, of course, presumed that the government would continue to function (i.e. that we'd "won" the exchange), and that you weren't in the heaviest fallout zones (in which case, you were probably already dead and just didn't know it yet).
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »

Back then there were a bunch of shelter supplies that went with each fallout shelter including supplies for waste disposal. Food (in the form of crackers), water... just the basics to keep you alive. Today you can find that stuff on ebay available for collectors.

I don't recognize the radio in the video but Gonset made 2m and 6m communicators all done up in the CD colors. I believe they were intended to be used in the fallout shelters. Search for "Civil Defense Gonset Communicator" in youtube and there are some videos of the radio.

K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 06:15:28 AM »

It's an old DeWald CB. I believe 6 crystal controlled transmit frequencies and a VFO receiver. See the switch marked fixed and tune. Tunes across the CB channels for receiving information but only able to transmit on the 6 or 7 crystal controlled frequencies. This was back in the day before CB was unleashed on the general public and the federal government, CD, would supply shelters with supplies like canned water, hard candies, crackers. If you expand the picture you can see the CD marking between 11 and 16 channels. I've been in some of the old CD shelters and encountered these things. The hard candies (think like Jolly Ranchers) actually are still good if the tin they're packed in remains sealed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: