The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age? Is ham radio slowly dieing?  (Read 5200 times)
KG9ZTX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »

I think  amateur  radio will be around for quite along time in the future for several reasons.
There are more reasons... but these are 4 good ones...

1. The preppers

2. Those who have active hobbies that involve the outdoors and being in locations with no cell service.

3. Group activities where some form of communication other then cellphones is needed.
My off road, hunting, camping group for one. To communicate to everyone, only one transmission is needed, not 20+ individual calls are needed.

4. Disaster/weather situations. As we have seen the phone grid fails during hurricanes, tornadoes etc and ham radio becomes communication central.

What modes of communication we use in those 4 above situations will change. Maybe CW, maybe RTTY, maybe FM maybe even digital. Who knows.

What bands we use and how and for what will change too. We may loose some bands and we may gain some bands.

Morse code is dying.. but there will always be some that will use it. It’s like driving an old old classic car. We don’t drive them as daily drivers, but there are still thousands of old classic cars being driven for the fun of driving them. But everyone who has a classic car, also has a modern one that they use as their main car.

The reasons for ham radio use will change, but it will be here for a long time in the future.

That’s my honest opinion.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »

Quote from: KG9ZTX

Morse code is dying.. but there will always be some that will use it. It’s like driving an old old classic car. We don’t drive them as daily drivers, but there are still thousands of old classic cars being driven for the fun of driving them. But everyone who has a classic car, also has a modern one that they use as their main car.

can you please show your math here?  how do you arrive at your conclusion that morse code is dying? do you mean in ham radio itself, or just in terms of maritime and military usage  Huh  it seems to me that there are too many hams who only operate CW and never "drive" in phone modes for your classic car comparison to fit well ...

i have been a ham since 1976 and fail to see signs that suggest your presumption is correct when it comes to ham radio.  when i returned to the ham bands after a long period of inactivity 10 years ago, and learned the requirement to learn morse code had been dropped by the FCC, i expected that i would find morse code operation sparse and in decline, but when i turned on a xcvr i found the bands full of CW activity.  Now, in 2019, i still find that to be true and dont see signs of decline -- in fact i constantly learn of "no-code" hams who are learning code and having a blast with it.  If you dont believe me, tune your rig to the CW section of the bands during the next big CW contest ...
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »

Quote from: KG9ZTX

can you please show your math here?  how do you arrive at your conclusion that morse code is dying? do you mean in ham radio itself, or just in terms of maritime and military usage  Huh  it seems to me that there are too many hams who only operate CW and never "drive" in phone modes for your classic car comparison to fit well ...

i have been a ham since 1976 and fail to see signs that suggest your presumption is correct when it comes to ham radio.  when i returned to the ham bands after a long period of inactivity 10 years ago, and learned the requirement to learn morse code had been dropped by the FCC, i expected that i would find morse code operation sparse and in decline, but when i turned on a xcvr i found the bands full of CW activity.  Now, in 2019, i still find that to be true and dont see signs of decline -- in fact i constantly learn of "no-code" hams who are learning code and having a blast with it.  If you dont believe me, tune your rig to the CW section of the bands during the next big CW contest ...
Please learn to use your shift key.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »

Quote from: K1FBI
Please learn to use your shift key.

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »

'dieing'
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:29 PM »

Grin

No, but Ham Radio is slowly DIETING.  Losing old weight.   Cheesy

But really, in anywhere else but North America, I believe that the normal age background as in decades past is still the rule.  DX station ops seem to be all younger - and it can't be that everyone is using old photos... 

And even is ham radio was really "dying" I would not really care.  Look, I don't think so.  I belong to SKCC, and the club just registered it's 20,000th member.  Looks like there's an interest there! 

ARRL has 150,000 members, or so. 

3905 Century Club 40 meter net has 60-80 check ins every night - and not all the same, either.

Thousands take part in the various contests. 

The point is that there is still good activity out there on the air, even in the "traditional" modes. 

On 40m cw I almost always get a reply to my cq, or I hear a CQ in a few minutes of tuning around.  Today, two QSO's of a half hour each, and they could have gone longer. 

My bottom line is that I am happy with the hobby right now, and I don't notice much change in the nearly 30 years that I am a ham. 

Guesses about the future are nearly always wrong.  I like the quote from Bill Gates "640KB should be enough memory for anybody". 

And the quote frm Yogi Berra "you can see a lot by looking."

73, W3TTT
W6BP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:34 PM »

And the quote frm Yogi Berra "you can see a lot by looking."

Not to mention another quote attributed to Yogi: “It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2019, 11:20:58 PM »

Remember HF has not been the best in recent eras.

The CW thing. Yes. What commercial type service uses it ? (I still hear beacons) In Amateur Radio what mode is simpler and cuts through the noise and bandwidth and all that stuff ? An international language. I have also heard from many that cw usage is picking up in various areas vs. the opposite.  I'd bet the biggest preachers of 'CW IS DEAD' are those that hate it and could never learn it or try to. I don't think anybody ever figured out why some can not digest cw as many as such are brilliant people. If one was into music and compare that to cw ? How many tones to memorize ?

I did not get the energy to post over cw but the giant question of amateur radio is dead.

When I surf sites like E-ham does not one observe many many into all kinds of aspects of the hobby ? My depression is the Tech thing. The majority forces changes. I don't want a hobby of nothing but HT's and repeaters vhf/uhf and literally nothing else. -and this crowd thinks everybody should be just like they are-
Literally if it is an aspect they are not interested in get rid of it !!!! Try to bring a cw key into a club !!!! (or even use the built into rig options)
HT's or a mobile radio for short chit-chat and never anything about radio. Social Dinners and Breakfasts. That's a HAM. It goes on the resume for hoped for career promotion.

I'll get a little weirder. Many in this hobby have many varied interests. Like maybe even a religion ? The new crowd does not like anything to do with the old stuff. Get rid of it..who cares ? Sell 160/80/40/30/20..thirty first... Then.....

When I say nothing else...no interest in anything but....FM...2/440...Maybe DMR as a fad... In psychology when do people get mad often ? Hit a sore point. Talk this terrible stuff and threads on fire will continue forever.

ICOM just came out with a multi-mode 144/440 rig. Wonder why.

I have observed many Techs do have a desire to do more. (upgrade and all that stuff)(or maybe even try 6)

I think amateur radio is dead with 90% Tech. (supposedly it is this license class that will keep amateur radio thriving for centuries to come.)

I have to study more the international health of amateur radio. It would seem around the earth many are still having fun with it.

Don't know. AND I am not trying to bash the so-called Tech !!!! If that is what people enjoy it's their choice. I don't like being forced to leave the hobby because of the Tech crowd. I just have no interest in VHF/UHF HT/MOBILE minus anything about 'radio'. I enjoy multi-mode VHF/UHF and up. geeeezzz  yes...bash me...I have been a General since 1966 and a novice prior. I had my fun as a novice working/talking to the whole earth with the same options as a present Tech.(10/15/40/80)  To me it is a hobby. Not enjoyed any longer most leave.....

I hope there is enough left to enjoy. Digital Modes are obsolete ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:35:29 PM by K1QQQ » Logged
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 12:15:54 AM »

Remember HF has not been the best in recent eras.

The CW thing. Yes. What commercial type service uses it ? (I still hear beacons) In Amateur Radio what mode is simpler and cuts through the noise and bandwidth and all that stuff ? An international language. I have also heard from many that cw usage is picking up in various areas vs. the opposite.  I'd bet the biggest preachers of 'CW IS DEAD' are those that hate it and could never learn it or try to. I don't think anybody ever figured out why some can not digest cw as many as such are brilliant people. If one was into music and compare that to cw ? How many tones to memorize ?

I did not get the energy to post over cw but the giant question of amateur radio is dead.

When I surf sites like E-ham does not one observe many many into all kinds of aspects of the hobby ? My depression is the Tech thing. The majority forces changes. I don't want a hobby of nothing but HT's and repeaters vhf/uhf and literally nothing else. -and this crowd thinks everybody should be just like they are-
Literally if it is an aspect they are not interested in get rid of it !!!! Try to bring a cw key into a club !!!! (or even use the built into rig options)
HT's or a mobile radio for short chit-chat and never anything about radio. Social Dinners and Breakfasts. That's a HAM. It goes on the resume for hoped for career promotion.

I'll get a little weirder. Many in this hobby have many varied interests. Like maybe even a religion ? The new crowd does not like anything to do with the old stuff. Get rid of it..who cares ? Sell 160/80/40/30/20..thirty first... Then.....

When I say nothing else...no interest in anything but....FM...2/440...Maybe DMR as a fad... In psychology when do people get mad often ? Hit a sore point. Talk this terrible stuff and threads on fire will continue forever.

ICOM just came out with a multi-mode 144/440 rig. Wonder why.

I have observed many Techs do have a desire to do more. (upgrade and all that stuff)(or maybe even try 6)

I think amateur radio is dead with 90% Tech. (supposedly it is this license class that will keep amateur radio thriving for centuries to come.)

I have to study more the international health of amateur radio. It would seem around the earth many are still having fun with it.

Don't know. AND I am not trying to bash the so-called Tech !!!! If that is what people enjoy it's their choice. I don't like being forced to leave the hobby because of the Tech crowd. I just have no interest in VHF/UHF HT/MOBILE minus anything about 'radio'. I enjoy multi-mode VHF/UHF and up. geeeezzz  yes...bash me...I have been a General since 1966 and a novice prior. I had my fun as a novice working/talking to the whole earth with the same options as a present Tech.(10/15/40/80)  To me it is a hobby. Not enjoyed any longer most leave.....

I hope there is enough left to enjoy. Digital Modes are obsolete ?

Tell the truth OM! You posted because you HATE Techs! You hide behind a club call sign instead of using KH8AC.
This is from your old website: “THIS SITE WAS EDITED BY MY GIRLFRIEND LONG LONG AGO BUT IN 2019 IT IS BEING TAKEN DOWN OVER RIDICULE BY THE NEW "TECH CROWD". IT IS IMMATERIAL TO ME IF I WERE EVER IN THE PACIFIC AND WISH NOT TO BE SUBJECT TO ENDLESS JOKES AND ENDLESS BLABBERINGS ABOUT THE PACIFIC WHEN EVERYTHING IS PROBABLY FICTION BECAUSE A GOOD PART OF 'TECH' TALK IS ALWAYS FICTION. NO...NOT ALWAYS....BUT GET A CALL OUT OF GUAM OR MARIANA ISLANDS AND THE ENDLESS JOKES ? SURE..IT IS EASY WITH A POSTAL MAILING ADDRESS but TRY TO ENLIST THE SERVICES OF SUCH FROM THE US TERRITORIES TO USA. LET ME KNOW YOUR LUCK.”

Why such hostility towards Techs??

What’s even more interesting is your trashing of VHF as a mode. Yet interestingly enough you are over on QRZ this month expressing interest in a 6 meter Ranger! A RANGER???
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ranger-rci-5054-dx100-6-meter-all-mode.649006/

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:23:44 AM by K1FBI » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 06:06:34 AM »

From http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts

the number of current unexpired FCC issued amateur licenses held by individuals on March 15, 2019 was:

Novice:                    8,228       (1.1%)
Technician            385,288     (50.9%)
Technician Plus                0      (0.0%)
General                176,465     (23.3%)
Advanced               39,276       (5.2%)
Extra                    147,929    (19.5%)

Total                    757,186

Percentages may not add up to exactly 100.0% due to rounding.

No new Novice or Advanced licenses have been issued since April 2000. However, the totals for those classes may sometimes show an increase over prior numbers due to renewals in the grace period.

This is a new all time high record total.

Once and for all, STOP IT WITH THE GLOOM AND DOOM!!!!!!... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue :

V
K3NRX
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »

I AM USING A 'MILL' TODAY.  SORRY, NO LOWER CASE AVAILABLE.
ART
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »

I AM USING A 'MILL' TODAY.  SORRY, NO LOWER CASE AVAILABLE.
ART
Sorry, I didn't notice; forgot to put my hearing aid in today. Grin
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »

I do not like the way amateur radio is going SO I speak out at times.

Look at the numbers ? Now if you enjoyed old amateur radio is there not some concern ? I still like to DX. All kinds of different bands and modes and it can be a challenge. Naturally the new TECH cares nothing about so-called DX or many many other things the amateur radio operator used to do. Yes...times have changed but I still look at it as there are amateur bands from the sound waves up to microwaves so absolute no interest in any of this ? -or other modes besides FM and DMR etc.

I still like to collect QSL's as to me they simply bring back memories. I still like to participate in all kinds of HF activity. Everybody has their hobby interests here. (variety)

Now if the future is just segments of 2 meters/440 and repeaters and NOTHING ELSE I think my hobby is over with.

So I grumble a little before I am gone ?

I am mistaken if the perception is put out that I simply don't like TECH's. I get depressed if tech activity is all that is left.

I think maybe I stumble across some of the wrong crowd and label everyone as the same.

In a club setting if 99% of members are TECH what is all that clubs activity ? Personally I don't think ALL HF activity is over forever. International allot of people still enjoy HF.(in amateur radio) A few are even dabbling with LF,VLF,etc.

I do not like TECH'S ? My apology if my views got that shrunk. I do not dislike any individual person BUT I dislike everything that most techs do is the only thing left in this radio hobby. I have met ....if you do not like tech activity SORRY...your hobby is gone...tough luck !!! In a club setting if somebody enjoys 12 meters AM there is no provision for that person to enjoy such ever.

Back in the 1960's prior to incentive licensing there was none of this nonsense and everybody was equal. The ARRL pushed incentive licensing and the FCC adopted it and the crowds became unequal. Some are simply better than others. (I  know it gets more complex as there were different license classes like novice and conditional, etc. Novice did have limited space to operate.

I am still a General. I myself can be targeted with dislike over that. Some strange things though is I know Extras that never used a multi-meter or even know what one looks like.

I can not ramble forever but the whole crux of my thoughts are the end of amateur radio as known and nothing nothing left but the Tech and their interests. If the FCC decides to auction everything below 54 mhz nobody cares anymore.

If I were known personally I am not the a-hole some might perceive. For all I care let the Tech have full frequency privileges. If one is against that they must be a real a-hole !!!  Now this thread can go on till 2024 ?
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »

QQQ: I have to admit that I truly understand your feelings.

I, too, am from the 60's with the "Novice to General" phase of learning. It was a tough time working the tiny frequency "slots" allocated to us that motivated us to bust our butts to learn by reading, building most of our rigs, test equipment and antennas and pounding away on the straight key to go to the "big-test" up in Buffalo, NY. (A visit to the dentist would have been easier on the nerves!!)

I get frustrated at times when it looks like the techs are going to be all that's left in our group in time. I did as much as I could with building circuitry just to reason out the why's and wherefor's of ham electronics. (Granted, I loved every minute of the time I invested, but I guess I kind of resent the techs being practically handed their tickets without having to "explain" circuitry, etc to prove their electronic abilities. The multiple choice tests lack a bit of knowledge along that line. But then, maybe I'm out in left field with my feelings. … sigh …)

I can't believe the tech's self satisfaction can possibly be the same as ours! Kind of like us working 50 years to provide a living for our families after retirement and then seeing today's 2nd and 3rd welfare generation with the very large TVs, multiple tattoos, etc, that we can't afford.  (The grasshopper and the ant!)

Oh boy! Will I hear about this rant!!! LOL

Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2019, 05:22:09 AM »

I do not like the way amateur radio is going SO I speak out at times.

Look at the numbers ? Now if you enjoyed old amateur radio is there not some concern ? I still like to DX. All kinds of different bands and modes and it can be a challenge. Naturally the new TECH cares nothing about so-called DX or many many other things the amateur radio operator used to do. Yes...times have changed but I still look at it as there are amateur bands from the sound waves up to microwaves so absolute no interest in any of this ? -or other modes besides FM and DMR etc.

I still like to collect QSL's as to me they simply bring back memories. I still like to participate in all kinds of HF activity. Everybody has their hobby interests here. (variety)

Now if the future is just segments of 2 meters/440 and repeaters and NOTHING ELSE I think my hobby is over with.

So I grumble a little before I am gone ?

I am mistaken if the perception is put out that I simply don't like TECH's. I get depressed if tech activity is all that is left.

I think maybe I stumble across some of the wrong crowd and label everyone as the same.

In a club setting if 99% of members are TECH what is all that clubs activity ? Personally I don't think ALL HF activity is over forever. International allot of people still enjoy HF.(in amateur radio) A few are even dabbling with LF,VLF,etc.

I do not like TECH'S ? My apology if my views got that shrunk. I do not dislike any individual person BUT I dislike everything that most techs do is the only thing left in this radio hobby. I have met ....if you do not like tech activity SORRY...your hobby is gone...tough luck !!! In a club setting if somebody enjoys 12 meters AM there is no provision for that person to enjoy such ever.

Back in the 1960's prior to incentive licensing there was none of this nonsense and everybody was equal. The ARRL pushed incentive licensing and the FCC adopted it and the crowds became unequal. Some are simply better than others. (I  know it gets more complex as there were different license classes like novice and conditional, etc. Novice did have limited space to operate.

I am still a General. I myself can be targeted with dislike over that. Some strange things though is I know Extras that never used a multi-meter or even know what one looks like.

I can not ramble forever but the whole crux of my thoughts are the end of amateur radio as known and nothing nothing left but the Tech and their interests. If the FCC decides to auction everything below 54 mhz nobody cares anymore.

If I were known personally I am not the a-hole some might perceive. For all I care let the Tech have full frequency privileges. If one is against that they must be a real a-hole !!!  Now this thread can go on till 2024 ?

Dude....it will NEVER happen.....do you realize how much and how popular these dxpeditions are???....are they all operating on VHF?...don't think so....and if you have any doubts, look at the MONEY in donations that these operations accumulate.....that in and of itself is enough to warrant that everything below 54 MHZ will NOT be auctioned off.....So sick of the gloom and doom and these threads.........

again, repeating....HAM RADIO....THE ONLY HOBBY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH THAT HAS BEEN ON LIFE SUPPORT FOR THE PAST 110 YEARS!!!!!..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

V
K3NRX

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: