The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age? Is ham radio slowly dieing?  (Read 5260 times)
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »

This data (on US licensing) has been around for a long time.  It has never (that I recall) suggested a decline in ham population.

I don't have the numbers at my elbow any more, but back when Wayne Green was hammering away on this like it was a fact,  I did look into the government published numbers on US ham population.

Turns out, at that time, the numbers were around 650K licensees and no worse than stable.  That's what I remember.

Similarly, though I cannot find the numbers now, things like "logs submitted" for  CQ WW were available well back into the past and did not suggest any drop off in participation.  What those graphs used to show (when I could find them) were varying degrees of growth in the count of logs submitted.

It's easy to find reasons to suspect one's favorite hobby is declining, but whenever I have looked over the decades, I never found it to be true, especially if I looked at the broadest, largest items like US licenses or CQ WW participation where one would expect to see any general declines as impossible to mask.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2019, 03:01:56 AM »

Found an interesting chart by AH0A. It starts back in June of 97 with 678,473 to Jan of 19 with 755,952. Pretty much a slow steady increase throughout the time span. So a graph would show mostly a similar slope to the ARRL graph. That gives us an almost 22 year window to look at. No death spiral here.

http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »

Found an interesting chart by AH0A. It starts back in June of 97 with 678,473 to Jan of 19 with 755,952. Pretty much a slow steady increase throughout the time span. So a graph would show mostly a similar slope to the ARRL graph. That gives us an almost 22 year window to look at. No death spiral here.

http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

thanks for the helpful link. when i was first licensed as a teen in 1976, it seemed to me ham radio was mostly an older person's hobby even then -- while there were young hams they were the exception rather than the norm.  i dont get the impression ham radio is aging any faster than the general population as a whole.  maybe what is slowly dying is the perception that ham radio is cutting technology since technology has made such jumps since when radio communication was state of the art and kind of special ...

one thing is slowly dying -- the number of US hams with an Advanced license.  that number is down over 60% since 1997... for me, it was the tasty DX that hangs out in the Extra class CW portions of the band that [finally] was enough incentive for me to upgrade from Advanced (after 35 years of meh)...

i wonder if the trend is pretty much the same the world over?  Has the number of licensed ham stations in Japan, England, Brazil, Canada, Australia, Russia, Germany, Egypt and elsewhere slowly & continually grown over the past several decades?
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »

Interesting that California has the highest percentage (of all U.S. hams) of hams in the nation -- 14% (116,353), which is TWICE as much as the NEXT highest state (Texas, of course) at 7% (57,971).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_operator#Demographics

Same with the number of ham clubs:  1,559 (CA) vs. 769 (TX)

WE ROCK!  YAY!

Brian - K6BRN

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »

Interesting that California has the highest percentage (of all U.S. hams) of hams in the nation -- 14% (116,353), which is TWICE as much as the NEXT highest state (Texas, of course) at 7% (57,971).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_operator#Demographics

Same with the number of ham clubs:  1,559 (CA) vs. 769 (TX)

WE ROCK!  YAY!

Brian - K6BRN

More QRM there too!  Cheesy

73, Stan
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »

More QRM there too!  Cheesy

And bigger solid-state amps, too.  Space companies.  Chip companies.  Tesla.  Swimming pools.  Movie stars...

Come and listen to my story 'bout an engineer named "Ned"
A poor starving student, barely kept his kitty fed,
And then one day he was lookin' at some jobs,
And out through the phone came a clamerin' flood.

Jobs that is, engineering jobs, lots of 'em..

Well the first thing you know ol Ned's a-movin out,
Girlfriend said 'Let's get away from here"
Said "Californy is the place we oughtta be"
So they loaded up the junk and they moved to beach & sea!

Redondo Beach, that is. Swimmin pools, Techno-stars... 

Cheesy

Now THAT's cheesy!

The Golden State.  We have more of EVERYTHING.  Including taxes, earthquakes and politicians.

73 DE Brian - K6BRN
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »

I will stick with WI where things are quiet and small tech companies like Allen Bradley, ABB, Eaton, Yaskawa help build the electrical world.  Wink

And then of course is the beer. For the price of 1 bottle in CA you can afford to get drunk in WI.  Grin

And more fresh water then we could ever use...even in a drought.  Cool

Plus you can breathe the air and not need California emissions.  Shocked

73, Stan
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2019, 09:22:14 PM »

will stick with WI where things are quiet and small tech companies like Allen Bradley, ABB, Eaton, Yaskawa help build the electrical world.  Wink
And then of course is the beer. For the price of 1 bottle in CA you can afford to get drunk in WI.  Grin

Hmmm.  VERY convincing argument.  Especially about the beer.  Now that you've brought it up, about 4,000,000 of us will be dropping in to have a look-see.  Same thing happening to Washington, Colorado and Oregon.  Be careful what you ask for!

BTW, how are the winters?  Smiley

Brian - K6BRN
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »

brrrr. nevermind the answer... that question was cold!  Roll Eyes
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »

will stick with WI where things are quiet and small tech companies like Allen Bradley, ABB, Eaton, Yaskawa help build the electrical world.  Wink

Hmmm.  VERY convincing argument.  Especially about the beer.  Now that you've brought it up, about 4,000,000 of us will be dropping in to have a look-see.  Same thing happening to Washington, Colorado and Oregon.  Be careful what you ask for!

Brian - K6BRN

What percentage of those 4mil won't speak English?  Cheesy
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2019, 04:39:28 AM »

Brian - K6BRN

What percentage of those 4mil won't speak English?  Cheesy

Mention anything FREE or CHEAP Cerveza and it should be close to 100%
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »

What percentage of those 4mil won't speak English?  Cheesy

in that same vein, what percentage of those in Wisconsin today wont speak Ojibwe?  Wink

K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »

What percentage of those 4mil won't speak English?  Cheesy

in that same vein, what percentage of those in Wisconsin today wont speak Ojibwe?  Wink

Moral of the story:

The Indians should have built a wall!
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »

Moral of the story:

The Indians should have built a wall!

Woo-Hah!!!

Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »

The question nobody has addressed:

WORLDWIDE, IS THE GROWTH IN LICENSED KEEPING UP WITH THE POPULATION GROWTH?

If the growth in licensed amateurs is NOT KEEPING UP with the overall growth in the population then it is time ti face the fact that amateur radio is in CRITICAL CONDITION.

N9LCD
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: