The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Electric Model 7-2990A  (Read 1212 times)
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »

I stumbled on to one of these in a shop in Jersey and it appears the sellers have done more research than I have, sort of.  

The Good:

- I did power it on and AM/FM seem fine. Can't really get much from the SW.  
- The tuning meter seems to work as intended and its light is working.
- the digital readout appears to be accurate,
- overall, though slightly dusty, I think it will clean up very well and fairly easily.  It's pretty clean.  
- the dials have white-out, or something, painted at each indicator, so I'm sure the user's eyes were getting on in years and this made it easier to spot.  Not going to fault him for that and it will probably come off clean.  The guy in the mirror says just leave it there...
- no noticeable scratches and glass is clear
- main tuner dial seems very smooth and all switches, etc., seem crisp

The Bad:

-  although the digital readout works, one digit has a very slight flicker - you really have to look for it.  
- The antenna is either broken off or jammed down inside the unit.  It looks to be jammed down into the unit - can't imagine how, but what i can see appears to be the top of the antenna, just can't grab it and pull it up
- the one corner, behind where the digital readout is, has a very slight hump, very slight.  But plastic doesn't bend, so either it was a defect, or it got hot at one point.
- dial light works, but it's possible one bulb is out.

So, they're asking $145, which I believe is at the top of the spectrum and usually for a unit without any physical issues, such as the antenna. Return policy is 7 days if defective, but only for store credit.  

My thought was to present them with this:

- The bandwith switches are pretty hard to engage up or down.
- the slightly flickering bulb, you have to look closely
- the slightly deformed plastic, again you have to look for it
- possibly broken antenna, even if it is inside the unit
- painted dials, maybe when I clean it the plastic dial peels.
- present some sold auctions on eBay.
- Offer $110, cash and carry, no returns. Really, who wants $145 of store credit at a second hand store.  I'd rather just take my chances and if necessary sell it off with full disclosure.  I'm sure there are plenty of parts guys would like to pick of it, if it turned out to be a dud.

I don't know. It's a lot of money for a second hand store purchase, but the radio seems to have a good reputation, as does it's Panasonic cousin.  And it's pretty darn cool looking.

Any thoughts on the worthiness of the model.  The value of this particular deal, etc., would be appreciated.  

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:24:38 PM by KC3CLQ » Logged
HANSON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »

I'd go back with some wire to connect to the external antenna connection and ask to take it outside to check the reception and sensitivity.  If it's good, then I'd offer the $110. 
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »

I'd go back with some wire to connect to the external antenna connection and ask to take it outside to check the reception and sensitivity.  If it's good, then I'd offer the $110. 

Thanks.  I know they won’t come down, unless maybe I change the return policy, which is fine.

I forgot to mention, it does come with an antenna wire the owner must have made, so al, I need to do is bring some D batteries!
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »

Sit on your wallet. Another one in better condition will come along. Broken antenna, whiteout on the dials? $145? Get a hold of yourself man....
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

Sit on your wallet. Another one in better condition will come along. Broken antenna, whiteout on the dials? $145? Get a hold of yourself man....

Haha.  I’m not too worked up on it.  It’s just that NOTHING of this quality shows up in any of the local haunts and I travel throughout PA and NJ.  Most places put items like this on eBay and the stores see the leftovers.  I honestly think the antenna is just pushed down too far, because I can see what has to be the flat top of it. 

If that antenna is good, I know I could spend 20 minutes and clean this unit up to an 8 out of 10, easy.  I wouldn’t keep anything less really.  Some of the ones on eBay are all chopped up, etc.

$145?  No way.  $110, maybe. 
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »

.... Get a hold of yourself man....

I gotta say.  I’m still laughing at this line   Grin
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:53:04 AM »

The only major thing I keep reading about GE World Monitors is the tuning mechanism has a tendency to wear out -- a wheel inside cracks or something. Still will tune, but with a pronounced bump every once in a while.

I don't know about the price, but if it works well, and you're willing to clean it up and use it, there are a lot of other radios commanding higher prices that may take more work.
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:55:26 AM »

The only major thing I keep reading about GE World Monitors is the tuning mechanism has a tendency to wear out -- a wheel inside cracks or something. Still will tune, but with a pronounced bump every once in a while.

I don't know about the price, but if it works well, and you're willing to clean it up and use it, there are a lot of other radios commanding higher prices that may take more work.

Thanks.  I have read about hat bump, but can't say I felt/heard it in this radio.  Not saying it won't happen, but either it doesn't have the issue, hasn't been used enough to develop, or the owner already fixed it.  Who knows until we open er up!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:05:51 AM by KC3CLQ » Logged
KC6RWI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 08:48:08 AM »

I would say no, it seems from the defects you listed that its had alot of use. Thats alot of money.
I would wait for something else to come around. It may never happen but if you found something like this at a garage sale you would get it for a song, I think the price is too high, and the return policy is hardly anything to consider. Also I bet if you pulled the antenna up it probably split, bent, or jammed. Sorry to say no.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:50:11 AM by KC6RWI » Logged
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »

I used my GE World Monitor recently and just put it away. I looked at the box and it says 72990-E. They were built by Matsushita in Japan. I purchased the receiver from the Electronic Equipment Bank of Vienna Virginia back in 1989. Most of it's life has been spent in the box. I get it out and use it once in a while before I get bored with it and put it away. These receivers are plagued with images on the SW bands. I had better results with this receiver using a Johnson Viking Matchbox as a bandpass filter ahead of the receiver. They really need the help. These are analog receivers and the digital readout tracks an L-C circuit, drift and all. No PLL tuning, microprocessor, or memories. Listening to SSB on the lower bands requires periodic re-tuning as they warm up. I suspect there are internal voltage regulation deficiencies that play into the frequency instability. The tuning mechanism has never given any trouble but mine has seen little use.  20 meters and higher I think you can pretty much forget about listening to SSB, possibly CW as well, due to frequency instability. Sensitivity falls off as you go higher in the SW bands. I suspect this receiver has poor dynamic range. The 2 position selectivity switch isn't terribly useful. I find the tone controls provide a more useful selectivity boost, working as a poor man's audio filter. Also on the plus side sensitivity is good on AM & FM. This receiver has a RF gain potentiometer. Another plus is great audio from the internal speaker with separate bass and treble controls. The built-in antennas work well on AM & FM. These receivers are impressive-looking as well.

My experience with the GE World Monitor leads me to believe it is an AM-FM receiver with SW bands as an afterthought. Buy what you like but for $145 you can do better.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:55:57 AM by W3DBB » Logged
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »

From a listing on eham ;;;;

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6751

By this listing maybe it is worth spending money on ?

I got into amateur radio as a small kid listening to AM broadcast band (540-1600) and still enjoy listening until maybe radio goes away.(?)

Shortwave portables I think are getting kind of scarce. Who wants them ? Sangean has the ATS909x out but kind of expensive at about $200. Sony has one out but I'm not sure if they still make it. Check that Universal Radio site.

https://www.universal-radio.com/index.html

They all seem to fail eventually where 'something' wears out, etc. BUY A SPARE !!!!

Maybe some can fix these things but parts ?

If the digital readout is failing I'd spend nothing on it. On AM BCB you mostly have 10khz spacing between stations but shortwave ? Where am I ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:20:59 PM by K1QQQ » Logged
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Any thoughts on the worthiness of the model.  The value of this particular deal, etc., would be appreciated.  

Two recent sales on eBay ... $185 and $150 including shipping.
A current offerings on eBay ... $180 or best offer (including shipping)
All described as being in better condition than the one you've seen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: