The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is buying an Icom IC-7610 Factory "A" Repack good or not?  (Read 2027 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »

I see a famous retailer in Texas offering the Icom7610 "A" repacks for around $2700. They say like new condition with 1 year warranty. Is this a good deal or should I save a little longer and get a new one?

Todd - KT0DD
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 04:50:58 AM »

I wouldn't, and here's why:
The '7610 is a great radio; I have one.  But it does have one serious fault.  Early production units are have issues with the display.  The screens are burning and looked discolored when turned off.  Icom is fixing the displays under the one year warranty, but haven't extended it beyond a year to cover just the display screen, nor have they recalled a certain range of serial numbers.  Even under warranty, you are responsible for packing and shipping the radio back to Icom for screen replacement at considerable cost. The display issue occurs with use, begins in a corner and works its way across the display. If you buy a repack, you have no idea how old that unit is and it could be one with the problem.  Buying a new unit from a major retailer will assure you of getting fresh stock and one which has been manufactured with a display from another source.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:55:35 AM by K3GM » Logged
W9RTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »

I agree new for the $300 more vs a repack. Also check you CC company for extended warranty periods they may offer. If I'm not mistaken Chase covered re-packs for an additional 12 month period so the repack would be covered for 13 months total. Discover card dropped the extended warranty program.
Randy
W9RTB
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:02:19 AM »

I would much rather save up some more money and buy a brand new one, that's just me. I like the smell of a new radio just out of the box.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:05:03 AM »

I'm going to modify my answer above and say that NOW might not be a good time to buy a '7610, new, used, or a repack.  More and more newer serial numbers are popping up with bad screens.  These are units purchased well after mine, and mine is packed in its shipping container for an upcoming move.  While not all units are affected, the expense of getting one fixed is considerable.  I might wait until this we see how this shakes out.
W9RTB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »

What is your serial number?? Last four of mine is 3604, but to new to tell yet. At least with my CC I have a 2yr warranty
Randy
W9RTB
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »

Mine's #2269, purchased in May of 2018.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 06:37:51 AM »

Due to the fact that an ever increasing number of 7610 radio's either just before the year warranty is up have been going back for display burn in issues I would buy NEW, that savings on the open box is bubbkiss. Its a great radio but Icom NEEDS to address this display issue, the LCD has been around for some time and I don't know why Icom has not solved this issue with there suppliers of the display, we are not talking about a cheap radio here but a rig that sells for $3K which is not trump change  for a lot of us or maybe Icom should either look into extending the warranty here in the US cause in EU there warranty is two years and in Australia its 5 years, time is right for Icom who seems to be the leader in HF radio sales today to step up to the plate and do the right thing. Icom does offer an extended warranty from them if the radio is less then six months old but they really should think about offering this extension to any of the 7610's that have been purchased.
Its a great radio, one of the better ones out there but this display issue just might bite them in the buttocks any might even get ugly this year at the new Dayton or whatever its called cause last year there CEO attended the show from Japan, he just might want to stay home this year.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:53:09 AM »

I would ask why is it a repack? It was returned for some reason. The 7610 has and has had various issues in the past. As the above poster said, the $300 difference is bubkiss compared to a new, late serial number one which, "supposedly", has the display issue and all the previous bugs fixed. I also don't understand people paying the commonly classified posted price of $850 for a used IC-7300, when a new one backed up by a full warranty and vendor sells for $979 after rebate. But everyone's buying habits and circumstances are different. Whatever.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »

I think way too many hams look at E bay prices on 7300's new but your right on the money $850 for a used 7300 is way to high considering new after mail in rebate the cost is $979 plus with Dayton a month away I am sure that price may even go further south, just look at what Icom did during last years show when dealers will selling 7610's for $3400 and during the show Icom dropped there pants and the new low price became $3K which was a good move as far as sales for Icom but a bad move as far as resale value with the radio not even out one years time. The two known common problems were the dreaded ADC heat sink which was not really a big one and Flex had similar issues and today the dreaded display burn in which has gotten ever increasing bad press so I just hope there CEO might be glancing at some of these post, we are not saying the radio is bad, hell for the money its a fantastic radio but it uses a LCD display which is technology that has been around for a while and should not be having the number of display issues. So in regard to the above E ham post NO buy new!
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 12:06:49 PM »

The latest report from Icom is that a new screen supplier has been secured and that extensive cycling and life testing is now underway.  If all goes as expected, these screens will be implemented within 30 to 60 days.  It also interesting to note that the former supplier is out of business.

I also have some figures on service costs for units out of warranty.  The current replacement screen cost was  $78.73 and labor $56.00 at the Michigan service center.  It's reported that labor in Michigan is less than in Washington.  You pay one way and Icom pays the return.  It's reported that shipping is around $85.  Icom is reportedly going to review units that may just be over the warranty period.  I personally feel that a blanket extended screen warranty should be extended to owners of affected radios.

The reported $56 labor charge would indicate to me that replacement may not be an extensive job.  Perhaps owners of affected units could perform to job themselves...
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »

I belong to the 7610, and other Icom "groups.io". My 7610 is out of warranty. It is a VERY low serial #. My display is perfect, probably do to VERY, VERY few power on hours.
It seems the 7300 gets the call want I want to listen around.

Having said this, when the new displays become available, I'm going to purchase one. I'll keep it on hand until (or if) the original starts giving me trouble. There is a chap in VE land that sells replacement displays for the old 756PROs, and he installs them, if that's what you choose to do. My 756PRO's display still looks perfect. Maybe I'm just lucky?
My heatsinks are ok as well, but I bought the retainer clip, just in case......

This reminds me of my career as an IBM/Lexmark Engineer. We used to test very large sample size lots of new printers of both our models as well as a smaller sample of the competition. We ran them 24/7, different temp/humidity/altitude conditions and used railroad BOXCARS of paper in this testing.

However, nothing beat sending pre-production machines to large customers and letting actual users 'test' them.

The old displays appear to have a time factor type of failure than can't be hastened.

The fact that the old display mfg is out of business, is actually encouraging, to me as an end user.

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: