The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a "technician special" SB-101 on the way -- what to expect?  (Read 4960 times)
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »

jack,

I uploaded the Audio board 1K and 2.5K Green power resistor pictures to my website.

If any member who has an HW-101 can check their right rear audio board to see if
those Green resistors are originals for late (late 70s early 80s) runs of the HW-101.
All the 1K and 2.5K resistors I have seen on the audio boards have been Off White
cement resistors.

The date on my HW-101 manual, lower left corner front cover, is 1970. I don't know
if that date changes with later versions of the HW-101. That manual came with the
HW-101 I have that's not restored. The HW-101 and HP-23a supply came from the
original owner/builder so I'm the second owner of both devices.

Mike W5RKL
www.w5rkl.com
RMC(SW) USN RET
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »

If any member who has an HW-101 can check their right rear audio board to see if
those Green resistors are originals for late (late 70s early 80s) runs of the HW-101.
All the 1K and 2.5K resistors I have seen on the audio boards have been Off White
cement resistors.

I built an HW-101 in 1977. It's gone, but I now own an SB-101 and 4 (!) HW-101s. I know at least one of the HW-101s was late production since it has "different" tube sockets and has the little sidetone oscillator board instead of the PEC. All of them have one or both of the original power resistor still installed. All of them are cement blocks. I've only ever seen the glazed ceramic style as replacements. Heathkit was known for three things: 1) good manuals, 2) good designs, 3) cheap parts.

73 de Steve KE4OH
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2019, 06:40:10 AM »

I own 3 HW-101s and they all have the cement resistors and the molded PEC on
the audio board including the spare audio board I have, it also has the cement
resistors and molded PEC.

The dates on the manuals have appeared from other HW-101 owners appear to be
1970. The date on the large fold out main schematic is also 1970. I could be wrong
but is it possible that changes to the manuals were separate pages instead of a completely
new manual? I seem to remember the SB-303 manual I have had separate pages that
listed changes in the manuals so the original manual date remained what ever was printed
on the front cover lower left corner.

Mike W5RKl
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2019, 07:29:02 AM »

These cement resistors might be the same size as the originals. I  could not find any 2.5K Ohm, nearest was 2K Ohm from this ebay seller. Mouser has 2.4K Ohm but minimum 1000 quantity. Two 5K Ohm in parallel with a little spacing one on top of the other could fit.

QTY 2 - 10 watt ceramic cement power resistor 5k ohm

QTY 2 - 10 watt ceramic cement power resistor 1k ohm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:42:43 AM by KC1BMD » Logged
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »

These cement resistors might be the same size as the originals. I  could not find any 2.5K Ohm, nearest was 2K Ohm from this ebay seller. Mouser has 2.4K Ohm but minimum 1000 quantity. Two 5K Ohm in parallel with a little spacing one on top of the other could fit.

QTY 2 - 10 watt ceramic cement power resistor 5k ohm

QTY 2 - 10 watt ceramic cement power resistor 1k ohm

Thanks Norman for your input.

I found NTE 1K and 2.5K 10 watt resistors are available. They are a bit longer, 1.8 inches,
than the original resistors which are approx 1.5 inches long. An extra 1/4 inch longer is okay
with me and I would suspect with most HW-100/101 and SB-100 line of transceivers as well.

I found both 1K and 2.5K 10 watt NTE resistors on eBay

1K eBay ad 254123396185 $9.76
2.5K eBay ad 254123397834 $9.94

Those are a bit expensive but at least I know the 1K and 2.5K 10 watt resistor do exist.

I'll keep looking for cheaper new 1K and 2.5K 7 to 10 watt resistors. There has to be
cheaper ones out there.

Mike W5RKL
www.w5rkl.com

W3RU

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2019, 05:41:59 PM »

Just wondering if OP has found a power supply so we can continue following his project progress.

There have been several in the past week around $35-$39 range on ePay.

Jack  W3RU
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 02:22:55 AM »

Just wondering if OP has found a power supply so we can continue following his project progress.

Jack  W3RU

OP's budget is spent until payday.  I filed my tax return this past weekend, and at the least will have spending money when the refund arrives (though my primary plan has those funds finishing up a long running project for another hobby) -- most likely I'll be able to spend a little on payday (16th).

I don't get how auction prices always seem to drop when I can't spend money, and jump up when I have some to spend.  Either that, or those were starting prices, yet to be bid up, or in progress auctions with a round of sniping upcoming.  I haven't seen HP-23 or PS-23 units completed for under $100 since I started looking at Heathkit radios (the one listed alongside the radio I bought went for around $140).  And then there's $40 for a new power cable (the PS units almost never include a good cable).

And I need to get tools -- at the very least, I need to buy or build a dummy load that can handle 100W. 
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2019, 06:06:12 AM »

I'll keep the HP-13 in mind as an alternative -- I could put a good sized gel cell battery and charger in the shack and be able to work for a short time with power out if needed (180W draw from an exit light battery ought to be good for an hour, more or less). 

Please don't do this. Get a proper HP-23/PS-23 power supply.

Here's why:

1) If you can find an HP-13, it almost certainly needs work. The HP-13 is more complex and the parts are harder to get, particularly the transistors.

2) The current draw of the SB-101/HP-13 is quite surprising. It takes almost 5 amps just to light all the tube heaters, and the total current when receiving is 9 to 10 amps. When transmitting, total current drain is about 25 amps.

3) If you intend to actually fix the rig and use it, you will need an AC power supply anyway.

----

KE4OH's advice is really good.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »

I have looked for new 1K and 2.5K 7 watt wire wound cement resistors. I can find one but not both.
I did, however, find a cheaper source then eBay for the NTE 1K and 2.5K 10 watt wire wound resistors.

www.newark.com

Click the above link then enter the part numbers, either NTE or Newark listed below, and the item will
show up.

1K 10 watt
NTE P/N = 10WR210
Newark P/N = 14P7698
Price "Each" $2.14 + shipping

2.5K 10 watt
NTE P/N = 10WR225
Newark P/N = 14P7699
Price "Each" $2.35 + Shipping

Length of above resistors is 1.8 inches. The resistors are a little longer than the original
1K and 2.5K 7 watt cement resistors but should fit.

I verified with Newark there is no minimum order. You can buy 1, 3, 5, 10 or up to the maximum
quantity they have on hand without penalty.

The above resistors ship from the supplier, which is not Newark,to Newark then Newark ships
the items directly to the customer. They accept major credit cards but not Paypal.

I also agree. Do NOT waste you time with the HP-13 power supply. Obtain any of the AC HP-23 or
PS-23 supplies, you won't regret it. Rebuild the supply by using one of the rebuild kits. Hayseedhamfest.com
sells a complete rebuild kit for the HP/PS-23 supplies, price $127.95.

www.hayseedhamfest.com

Mike W5RKL
www.w5rkl.com

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:14:54 AM by W5RKL » Logged
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 10:03:58 AM »

[quote from RKL:I have looked for new 1K and 2.5K 7 watt wire wound cement resistors. I can find one but not both.
I did, however, find a cheaper source then eBay for the NTE 1K and 2.5K 10 watt wire wound resistors.[/quote]

I think you are more excited about this project than the OP, who's been MIA for while!   Grin

KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »

Jack  W3RU

OP's budget is spent until payday.  I filed my tax return this past weekend, and at the least will have spending money when the refund arrives (though my primary plan has those funds finishing up a long running project for another hobby) -- most likely I'll be able to spend a little on payday (16th).

I don't get how auction prices always seem to drop when I can't spend money, and jump up when I have some to spend.  Either that, or those were starting prices, yet to be bid up, or in progress auctions with a round of sniping upcoming.  I haven't seen HP-23 or PS-23 units completed for under $100 since I started looking at Heathkit radios (the one listed alongside the radio I bought went for around $140).  And then there's $40 for a new power cable (the PS units almost never include a good cable).

And I need to get tools -- at the very least, I need to buy or build a dummy load that can handle 100W.  

I picked up a PS-23 a couple of months ago for $51. I regularly see them hovering around this price, sometime lower as Jack indicated and sometimes higher. If you haven't done so, define a search criteria and save it so ebay notifies you when they come up. Also check the usual for sale forums: QRZ, eHam, QTH. For a dummy load, either build or buy something that can handle 100W (not necessary to be continuous but maybe something that can handle that power for a couple of minutes perhaps). The Palstar DL1500 is a decent dry, single resistor air/convection cooling dummy load that you might pick up for maybe $125+ or so.
KX4QP

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »

I think you are more excited about this project than the OP, who's been MIA for while!   Grin

Really?  I've been posting here every few days.  Including yesterday, before you posted me as MIA.  I did get my user name changed after my call sign showed up in QRZ database, maybe that's why you missed me.

OP's budget is spent until payday.  I filed my tax return this past weekend, and at the least will have spending money when the refund arrives (though my primary plan has those funds finishing up a long running project for another hobby) -- most likely I'll be able to spend a little on payday (16th).

I don't get how auction prices always seem to drop when I can't spend money, and jump up when I have some to spend.  Either that, or those were starting prices, yet to be bid up, or in progress auctions with a round of sniping upcoming.  I haven't seen HP-23 or PS-23 units completed for under $100 since I started looking at Heathkit radios (the one listed alongside the radio I bought went for around $140).  And then there's $40 for a new power cable (the PS units almost never include a good cable).

I picked up a PS-23 a couple of months ago for $51. I regularly see them hovering around this price, sometime lower as Jack indicated and sometimes higher. If you haven't done so, define a search criteria and save it so ebay notifies you when they come up. Also check the usual for sale forums: QRZ, eHam, QTH. For a dummy load, either build or buy something that can handle 100W (not necessary to be continuous but maybe something that can handle that power for a couple of minutes perhaps). The Palstar DL1500 is a decent dry, single resistor air/convection cooling dummy load that you might pick up for maybe $125+ or so.

It does no good to get notified that there's a screamer deal when I couldn't buy it at $10.  And every payday, like clockwork, those power supplies seem to shoot up to $100+.  I get paid twice a month; the first just about covers bills and groceries, the mid-month has some spending money (fewer bills and a bigger check).  Yes, I know, I'm not a proper ham, I don't have tens of thousands of dollars just lying around waiting to be spent. 

I do plan to build a salt water dummy load -- cheap and easy.  I can get scrap stainless threaded rod at work sometimes, a plastic bucket is cheap, and there's always aquarium salt around here (partner has a reef aquarium).  Fill bucket with water, hook up the meter, and mix in salt until the resistance is 50 ohms.  Good to go.  Keep a record of how much salt you used, and you can recreate the resistance quickly when you change out the water to get rid of algae.  Ought to handle a kilowatt for a short time (how long does it take to boil five gallons of soup on a range burner?), a couple hundred all day.
K4JPN

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2019, 02:00:17 AM »

I have copies of the Heath service bulletins for the HW-101/SB-100 series rigs;  I also a collection of my mods for the HW-101 which are applicable to the SB-100 series.  Send me a Email and I will Email them to you.   My Email address is on QRZ.com.  These are great rigs.  73, Steve K4JPN
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2019, 04:21:45 AM »

Yes, I know, I'm not a proper ham, I don't have tens of thousands of dollars just lying around waiting to be spent. 

I hope you don't think I was implying that (...not at all). I think many, including me, have felt the pinch of insufficient financial resources. You can still have a lot of fun on a limited budget and I applaud your effort!

I do plan to build a salt water dummy load -- cheap and easy.

I was curious about this and read some interesting things on it. Perhaps you have seen this article (one of many):
https://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/SaltLoad/SaltLoad.html

Have fun!
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »

AS for "not being a proper ham" due to limited funds...it is a myth!

If it makes you feel any better, I know a ham who is on welfare after his ex robbed and divorced him!
He makes contacts by tossing a wire out of the window on the third floor.
He supports the hobby by bartering his repair skills for cash and equipment.

If you have a FCC license and make contacts, YOU'RE A HAM RADIO OPERATOR !

BTW I like your "can do " spirit to forge ahead with creative low cost solutions.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: