The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How hard to bring a heathkit SB30x receiver back to life?  (Read 531 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »

Wondering at the difficulty level to bring an Ebay "parts only" SB30x receiver back to life.  Obviously it can go from a nightmare to one that works out of the box but assuming a middle case how much work is involved?

I can read a schematic and have modest test hardware (DVM and single channel scope).
I bought an HW-101 with p.s. and brought that back but it really only needed cleaning and resolder at 2 points in the chassis.  The HW-101 manual had a lot of information that helped troubleshooting.

Given the tube testers at the local drugstore are long gone how does a person check the tubes? Is there a link to a write up by someone a lot more experiencec than me on how to proceed?

thx in advance to anyone offering advice or info.

KD0ZGW
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:27:09 AM »

Re-animating the SB-300/301 will be similar to the HW-101. Exactly how hard depends on what might be wrong with it.

Obvious things to do will be to get a manual, replace electrolytic caps, clean pots and switches. Tighten all screws. Look for and fix fly leads and bad solder joints. A tube tester is not necessary. If you suspect a bad tube, simply swap in a good one. Dead tubes are almost never the reason a receiver refuses to operate.

These are really good radios. Worth the effort to fix.

I can't remember the model number, but there was an SWL version of the SB-301 that is nearly identical.

However, the SB-303 is a different animal. It was all SS and is not in the same league as the SB-300/301 (and the SWL version).

73 de Steve KE4OH
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:07:04 AM »

Yes, tighten all screws.  One of the hardest fixes I've had was a shield that also doubled as a circuit connection.
W8RLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:17:27 AM »

Hopefully you have the basic test equipment. Start by doing a visual observation for things that are obvious in need of repair. Ask a local ham if they have a dynamic tester, not just one that check the filament only. You will also want to clean all the controls, rotary switches, pots, and variable capacitors. Remove the circuit boards follow the directions in the manual to make sure that the chassis and board are clean so the make good contact. I would at a minimum replace the resistor and electrolytic capacitors. You can get a good quality replacement capacitor from HaySeed Hamfest. First off get a manual that matches your receiver, there are some major PSU changes in the 300 power supply. F
WA4JQS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:23 PM »

With a complete manual i have stripped one down to bare boards and rebuild from the kit up.it was a dirty greasy mess had been setting in a kitchen for years collecting smoke and grease.. good luck 73 Tony WA4JQS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: