The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GigaParts And Their "Online Chat"  (Read 1384 times)
N1OEY

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »

Have a feeling this is outsourced to India or another "call center". I had a very basic question on a iCom 51A Plus in regard to the availability of a optional antenna and the person doing the chat basically had no clue what I was talking about which was fairly surprising for such a basic question.

I do order quite a bit from GigaParts since they are relatively close to me for shipping but this time I went back to DX Engineering for the entire package I ordered. Giga lost out on this sale by having a person that was relatively clueless about my inquiry since they actually started getting a little touchy about my question with comments like "There are all types of antennas, you need to know what type you want" etc. etc.

My initial question was "Do you carry a Comet antenna that would replace the stock rubber ducky on the iCom 51A". Everything went real bad from that point forward. Anyway, I guess the morale of this story is avoid the chat option to ask a question.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »

Have a feeling this is outsourced to India or another "call center". I had a very basic question on a iCom 51A Plus in regard to the availability of a optional antenna and the person doing the chat basically had no clue what I was talking about which was fairly surprising for such a basic question.

I do order quite a bit from GigaParts since they are relatively close to me for shipping but this time I went back to DX Engineering for the entire package I ordered. Giga lost out on this sale by having a person that was relatively clueless about my inquiry since they actually started getting a little touchy about my question with comments like "There are all types of antennas, you need to know what type you want" etc. etc.

My initial question was "Do you carry a Comet antenna that would replace the stock rubber ducky on the iCom 51A". Everything went real bad from that point forward. Anyway, I guess the morale of this story is avoid the chat option to ask a question.
Have you communicated any of this directly to GigaParts? 

I’ve dealt with them on and off for years, starting with computer parts.  Never had an issue, but I’ve never used their online chat, either.

It’s possible you got a “computer” guy instead of a “radio” guy.  If that was the case, he should have transferred you to the right person. 

If you communicated with this person “after hours” then you might have gotten someone from a 3rd party service.  And if that is the case, they need to know so that this doesn’t happen again.

But if you don’t tell them, they can’t take corrective action.

Just sayin’
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 05:15:49 AM »

Your online chat misfortune notwithstanding, I just "completed" my first, and last, order of ham gear from GP. Oh, the scenario ended amicably but it took almost two weeks to get my refund for a defective item (DOA). I thought this was rather absurd in today's e-world. Way too many hoops to go through with their detailed return/inspection/authorization requirements. I believe this happens when a vendor sells so many types of equipment, rather than just ham gear (which is admittedly specialized). I would stick with a "ham/communications" only vendor such as HRO, etc. GP seems not to be a "bad" company but lacks the personal touch while trying to please all the people, all the time. (My 2 cents only).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: