The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 Colonies Special event "K2Z"  (Read 2700 times)
KU2US

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »

This year 2019 in July, I will be operating as another bonus station for the 13 Colonies Special event. A real nice QSL card will be offered (Go to K2Z on QRZ.com).. I will be working SSB and CW with a little more time devoted to 160 meters CW split.  My call will be K2Z/KU2US.. If you work me you will also get an endorsement on your certificate-note the contact on your log you send to me. So please don't get confused! K2Z is NOT a pirate station! This should be really fun and I think only a one year deal (2019). I will not count as K2A/NY.. There are 10 other operators for K2A operating. This is called the event "Managers" bonus station. I have a 102' G5RV up 60 feet, an Icom IC-736 & 718 with a Dentron Clipperton-L legal limit amp, so I should be able to work everyone I hear! We have a new updated and re-designed website (WWW.13colonies.net) check it out. So come in and join the fun, hope to work you all!  Best 73'-Ken Grin
KL1T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:31:55 AM »

After your events total BS with QSL cards last year, I will NOT be contacting any of you again!  

How many hundreds of postage stamps did you STEAL?   Having paper QSL info posted during the event and then changing it AFTER to "no paper QSLs - all received will be ignored"

I only made contact and mailed out cards because I wanted the complete set! I honestly regret wasting the money on postage and the dumb certificate.

See more info here https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/13-colonies-special-event-fail-rant.620639/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:39:43 AM by KL1T » Logged
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 02:32:15 PM »

LOL! you must be a millennial! ME-ME-ME. How can one steal a postage stamp that is affixed to an envelope? Any cards that were missing, I stated that I would mail them to you.  This was on our facebook page. Hope to work your carrier during the event! OH wait! I forgot! I have a notch filter-oh well..
AA4EZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »

I do hope all the operators that sign up to work the event will indeed be on the air.  Some of the event stations were only on for limited hours and had huge pile-ups.  Perhaps if all the event stations were on the air when they were supposed to be and with a decent antenna and/or power, the event would have been a lot of fun.  As it was, the lack of a couple of event stations being on caused a lot of QRM by those needing them.  Some hams had their amps turned up to "11" and were splattering over 10 KC so they would be the next station acknowledged.  Some ruined the event for many.
WA1MOW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 06:59:07 AM »

It is always easier to criticize than to compliment. Instead of saying this or that is wrong, how about just saying thanks!

As a portable QRP operator, who is usually on vacation in Maine.  I have had more than a few frustrations when working this event. Some are with the northern event operators using directional antennas pointing south. But most of it comes other operators chasing each colony.

Instead of complaining, offer to help. Offer positive suggestions, volunteer to help pay or process QSL cards, or just ask what help they could use.

Or just say "THANK YOU"!   (Caps used for emphasis not yelling)
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 07:09:28 AM »

LOL! you must be a millennial! ME-ME-ME. How can one steal a postage stamp that is affixed to an envelope? Any cards that were missing, I stated that I would mail them to you.  This was on our facebook page. Hope to work your carrier during the event! OH wait! I forgot! I have a notch filter-oh well..
With an already stained reputation you might do better than to dismiss other's legitimate complaints.
WA1MOW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »

LOL! you must be a millennial! ME-ME-ME. How can one steal a postage stamp that is affixed to an envelope? Any cards that were missing, I stated that I would mail them to you.  This was on our facebook page. Hope to work your carrier during the event! OH wait! I forgot! I have a notch filter-oh well..
With an already stained reputation you might do better than to dismiss other's legitimate complaints.

It was not constructive complaint, this was just complaining for the sake of complaining. It's the same as calling a school mate names just to get a reaction, nothing positive was ever going to come from his comments. He has posted the same comments on many sites. Frankly I am happy this LID will not be participating this year, it will make it easier for the rest of us QRP operators
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:52:41 PM by WA1MOW » Logged
KD2JBC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »

Looking forward to the 2019 13 Colonies Special event, one of my favorite events, enjoy chasing all the stations.
KQ4MM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »

Looking forward to it as well, 3rd year for me...Going to do it both CW and SSB this time.  My only nit pick or constructive comment would be to please print the certificate on better stock than last year ... Year before it seemed like better paper, last year seemed like just plain copier paper ... No matter, nice fun event Ken...

Brian / KQ4MM
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »

The paper that we use for the certificates is made by Southworth, quite expensive and part cotton/linen composition. The reason for this is because this paper has no acid and is not prone to fading or discoloring. Plus added weight for postage is a small factor. This year we have a photo as such of Fort Ticonderoga which is multi colored. We use the white paper because it shows the colors better than the standard Ivory we used 2 years ago. I printed one certificate on plain white copy paper for a test and the colors bled through the paper. The Southworth does not do this. To the poster who said that our "reputation is tarnished"? I beg to differ. Try managing over 100+ ham operators in 13 states for one week!:) Plus operating! THEN ask me how my Hemorhoids are doing? LOL! It is still fun!
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 07:42:22 AM »

... edit... To the poster who said that our "reputation is tarnished"? I beg to differ. Try managing over 100+ ham operators in 13 states for one week!:) Plus operating! ...

Perhaps that is the reason for this comment:
"...Having paper QSL info posted during the event and then changing it AFTER to "no paper QSLs - all received will be ignored".

He has a VALID point.
If you say your are going to do something a certain way, then follow up on it as you stated.

That being said, I enjoy the event, Thank you for operating it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:46:25 AM by ND6M » Logged
KQ4MM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »

Thanks for the clarification on the paper stock Ken ... 73
K9OQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »

sometimes I read the comments in areas such as this and almost forget this is a fun relaxing hobby!!!

Thanks to the people who take the time to do something like 13 Colonies.  I have completed it now for my fifth year.  Would we be better if they didn't do it at all!!

It was great fun and part of the great HOBBY of ham radio.

P.S.
If someone doesn't like the way this is done, why not try doing one yourself and see how easy it is.

Larry
K9OQ
Celebrating over 50 years of Ham Radio

W0CKI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »

Huh Too bad conditions on 20 aren't better. This is a fun activity and those that complain about QSL's, please take a hike.
Regards, Gary WOCKI
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 12:00:31 AM »

This is what happened in regards to the K2B cards! There was some big changes at the last minute to the structure of K2B. The manager left at the last minute, and so did some of the "Big Gun" operators! A restructuring had to be implamented at the last minute. QSL cards were at the bottom of the list. Once I found out about this we had to have some kind of a card to offer as crass it may have seemed! A print your own card on QRZ/K2B..

The cards for 2018 ran out quickly because they were remaining from 2017. The manager at the time did not order any more and no one knew about this. Remember, these cards are paid for by each state's volunteers. For this year I had to design the new K2B card and pay for them myself! Also, do you know how hard it is to get an operator to be the QSL card manager? HARD! Luckily W0MAN and Her husband volunteered to be the QSL card managers. They are not operators.

NOW, why did the manager quit? Because He was tired of getting QSL card requests with no SASE (And other reasons). The operators  involved that He knew followed Him. He got QSL cards as postcards, incomplete data on the cards, and requests for cards for other K2 states! After a few years of this He just called it quits.

OK, my apologies! Some lost $1.10..I paid $160.00!! So K2B cards would be available for 2019! & I am not screaming about it. All is well now, but to those who say (Paraphrase) "I am not doing this event anymore"?? OK, You are not hurting the event what-so-ever!, you are just hurting yourselves, by missing out having some fun. As I write this, we are in the middle of the 2019 event. The participation is the largest I have ever seen in the 11 years we have been doing this! So many thanks to those who call in! Many thanks to those who volunteer, and violins to those who forgot to take their anger management pills. No one stiffed you on purpose, no one collected your stamps, and to those who think we are "Tainted"? It is only in your own head-can't change that, and won't try!

One poster complained about the certificate paper we use! After explaining it to Him, He posted back and basically thanked me for the explanation! THAT IS how it should be done-KUDOS! NOT fly off the handle and be insulting and berating. We are all people and we ALL screw up at times. So please chill out, be cool and whatever other salutations the millennials use! Now I feel better Smiley Back to operating and being abused Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: