The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supply recommendation  (Read 1381 times)
KD7HNN

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:52:13 AM »

Hello,

I want to get rid of all the AC power strips i'm using in my shack and I need recommendations for a shack power supply. It will be used to power most of my shacks accessories (keyers, Palstar HF-Auto tuner, RatPak remote antenna switch, MicroKeyer, 144/440 rig, etc.).

Also, is there such a thing as an adapter (3 prong female -  Anderson PowerPole plug) I can use on each piece of gear so that I don't have to chop off the 3 prong plug?

Thank you.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »

First you need to add up the maximum current needed for all of your accessories. I'm assuming they are all 13.8VDC power. That total will tell you how many amps the power supply needs to be rated for. Astron makes a variety of different sized supplies at a reasonable cost. For the connections (and fusing) check out the West Mountain Rig Runners. They make a number of them with different numbers of connections, different current ratings, etc.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »

Also, is there such a thing as an adapter (3 prong female -  Anderson PowerPole plug) I can use on each piece of gear so that I don't have to chop off the 3 prong plug?

Thank you.

Are you talking about AC or DC?  Anderson Power Poles are for DC.  What 3 prong plugs are you chopping?  If you have equipment that is powered from it's own power supply, check the voltage before you connect it to your shack supply.  If your gear works on 13.8 Volts, there are ready made cables with 5.5 x 2.1 barrel connectors on one end and power poles on the other.

I always recommend a linear power supply - no worries about noise.  Yes it's bigger and heavier and more expensive.  They do cost less than a major HF radio repair that may result from a cheap switching supply - don't skimp.  Yes, there are some "good" switching supplies.  Getting an Astron 50 though will solve most power needs and provide healthy physical benefits if you have to move it.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »

An Astron RS-35 is a great low noise lower supply.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:10:29 PM »

Second the Astron RS-35.  If more power needed, the RS-50.

Brian - K6BRN
GREYLINE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »

I just purchased an Astron RS-35A to power my 144/440 rig. Are these power supplies normally just used to power radios? or can I connect other 12v station accessories in my shack to it using something like an  MFJ 1128? I have keyers, a microKeyer interface, Power Master II power meter, etc. That would really free up AC wall outlets.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 05:31:19 AM »

Any item that uses 12-14 volts DC can be connected to the power supply
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »

I'll throw in another vote for Astron linear supplies.  I've been using the same Astron RS-35M as my main shack power supply since buying it new in 1983.  It powers all of my 13.8 V radios and accessories.  I've abused it heavily for decades and it's never lets me down.  Only repair it's ever needed was a new on/off switch about 20 years ago (the contacts welded themselves in the "on" position).  Other than burning up the transformer -- and I can't imagine a way to even do that -- there's nothing in an Astron that you can't fix yourself.  Being a linear supply, there are no worries about RF noise like you could get from a switch-mode supply.  

I also use a Rig-Runner panel with Andersen PowerPole connections.  Easy as pie! 
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 05:38:04 AM »

Although I never heard of a filter capacitor failure in an Astron power supply. I believe the Astron RS-20 thru RS-50 came out around the last 1970s.
35 to 40 years is a lot of use on the filter capacitor(s). If wanting a used Astron look for the power cord plug on the back of the power supply vs hard wired. The plug allows the power cord to be removed. Astron power supplies with the power cord plug on back started about year 2005 and newer. There is at least another 20 years guaranteed life left on the newer filter capacitors in the newer power supplies.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:34:22 AM »

on my RS-35, the filter cap was a Sangamo, which went out of business in the early 90s. there are a tubload of cap mount holes in the case. I replaced the 80,000 uF with a couple of 43,000 uF caps, and pulled two clamps from my junk box. easy peasy to match them up with holes.  incidentally, if the schematic and the value of the capacitor in a unit match, it will be a miracle. the design of the Astrons is flexible enough that whatever is availiable at the time of build is what goes in for that DC filter. like almost all component manufacture, things are made in batches. which means for large scale production, there will be shortages. you can't measure the difference on the output of the supply as a practical matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: